Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FREE DV IS A GREAT MODE

Tim KE4UK
Tim KE4UK Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series

HAD MY FIRST QSO ON FREEDV THIS EVENING ON 14.236 WITH WB9TLH WAS A REALLY ENJOYABLE EXPERIENCE, TNX FLEX RADIO

Comments

• k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Congrats and well done....

I have heard many a QSO but haven't been heard yet.  :-)

k3Tim
  • Tim KE4UK
    Tim KE4UK Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I was fortunate, on my first try I connected but his signal was 10 over s9
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Wow! That's fortunate.  

I have an inefficient end fed antenna and the FDV signals were rather low.  This mode, I thought, was good for low power but seems it's more a high power mode or gain antennas.

Best,
    k3Tim

• Tim KE4UK
    Tim KE4UK Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    I was transmitting 40 watts on an inverted vee cut for 3.965 mhz running through the ATU.
  • Peter Bentley
    Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Interesting mode, but needs a lot more development.
  • Tim KE4UK
    Tim KE4UK Member ✭✭
    edited September 2016
    Think that may be the idea.
  • Joe, KQ1Q
    Joe, KQ1Q Member
    edited June 2015
    FreeDV is interesting and quite an achievement to cram an understandable phone signal into 1.4Khz. It is nice that FRS added it to SSDR, and it's easy to use vs other implementations that require two sound cards.

OTOH the current codec implementation is susceptible to fading, esp. frequency-selective fading which is common on HF. This can be recognized by the diagonal stripes in the waterfall display. This somewhat nullifies the weak signal potential of digital voice. 

There's no way to adjust EQ in the current SSDR version, so the codec does whatever it decides with the AF curve. In general the speech quality is significantly artifacted, but understandable. Ideally Proc and EQ should be disabled in the current version.

It is interesting that the gigantic advantage digital modes have for text (PSK31, etc) are harder to realize for voice. 

A lot of work is being done on the codec and hopefully future versions will be significantly improved. If widely adopted FreeDV could provide a common digital voice mode (IOW the new SSB), vs a proliferation of incompatible digital modes.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I agree that PROC should be turned odd. But I have found that I get a better TX if I roll off lows and boost a few of the highs. Apparently too many low frequencies contribute to artifacts that give it a more robotic sound. It would be nice if they retuned the codec for a channel or two more bits and added some FEC, etc.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.