Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FPS setting

Greg
Greg Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Please add the FPS setting to the list of persistence items or a user selectable default so we don't have to change it all the time. THanks Greg
6 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Or until FRS can do something like what was done in the PSDR series - averaging if I recall.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Actually, the use should be able to adjust both FPS and averaging....just as with every other SDR software program I have seen. Greg
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My kingdom for some averaging. I really hate the spastic display we currently have. Turning the FPS down just makes it look like your computer doesn't have enough horsepower to run the app. I loved running my 5k at 30 FPS with averaging on, silky smooth display that didn't give me a headache. :(
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    EXACTLY EXACTLY EXACTLY!!!!
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I recall having a discussion with someone from FRS about a week or so ago and he mentioned that the designers thought the current display was what everyone would like. He then said there were many complaints and they are now changing their thinking and I think he said they were going to implement averaging for the display at some point.
  • Beppe IK3VIG
    Beppe IK3VIG Member
    edited October 2013
    After 10 years as PowerSDR user, I find 15 FPS is the better in SSDR withou AVG available.....and this value save a lot of CPU work (for those who do not have a great GPU) without weak signal confused in the noise. This picture was taken at 15 FPS 73 Beppe ik3vig woodboxradio
  • Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Yes please, averaging at some point on future update. The noise floor is extremely distracting, annoying.
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    I usually set FPS to 8 or 9.
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I will probably like averaging when it arrives, but I will want to be able to turn it off.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Hi Beppe. That is the point....many like it with avg and some without. It seems like an important function that is missing. In your photo....you are right...it is not "too" bad with multiple panadapters displayed or the SSDR window shrunk in size. But with one panadapter displayed in a large size it is very very annoying. I don't always need to have multiple panadapters running and SSDR runs full screen on a 24" touch computer. Even when not a full screen I can't take the fast FPS. 20-25 FPS WITH averaging is perfect for me. 73 Greg
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I agree, BOTH adjustable FPS and adjustable averaging are needed. That allows the user to fine tune the display according to mode, preference, CPU horsepower, and graphics capability. I currently use 8-11 on SSB and somewhat faster for CW. It is neat on a zoomed-in display in the CW band with higher FPS to be able to copy CW just watching the display. But the rapid noise pulses and very wide baseline eventually drive my eyes bats.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited October 2016
    Man oh man, I'm not sure how they would think that? I sure hope they get averaging going. I got my 6xxx series to gain features over my 5xxx, not lose them! :(
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited December 2016
    Maybe we need to start a new topic on averaging and vote it up so it gets some traction? I am all for a selectable averaging feature just like the PSDR had.
  • Sergey R5AU
    Sergey R5AU Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I am voting for FPS and AVR as separated features with separated persistence. Team, i think a time to initiate that already was offered: http://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/our_notes_for_frs i guess it will make sense for any one in our community and easy to cumulate from FRS side.
  • Albert PA0A
    Albert PA0A Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Yes please, FPS, AVR and the possibility to fill the Panadaper just as the very good PowerSDR.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    See this post for a picture I posted on TRACE AVERAGING. It really helps to see why this is so important. http://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/smoothing_filter_or_averaging_for_the_data_trace Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    By "fill the panadapter" do you mean "waterfall" or "Pan-fall?" Both are on the roadmap, but several updates down the road. I have found the pan-fall to be one of the most helpful features on my Flex-1500. It was one of the features that convinced me that Flex was the way to go and motivated me to purchase the 6500. I am eagerly awaiting the release of both features, especially pan-fall! But neither one will be as effective without trace averaging.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    I think by fill the panadapter he means instead of just a line that shows the signals to fill it in with a color so the everything below the noise/signal line is solid. 73 Greg
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    OK. I remember that feature, but never used it because all it did for me was waste CPU power. But I can see that others might find it valuable.
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    I used it most of the time. Made it easier for me to see sigs in the noise.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    the best way to see really weak signals at the noise level or below is a waterfall or Panafall set to a fairly narrow bandwidth and employing averaging. you can definately see weak signals that you wont notice in just a regular Panadapter setting even if it is averaged. I find the "Panafall" the best of both worlds and a very handy DXing tool. Even more so on 160 meter weak signal work.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I agree Greg!
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I missed that posting. Thank you for making me aware and for the pictures.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That is exactly what I found, too, Larry. Panfall with Averaging is the best! It not only allows you to see the weak ones, it allows you to see them over time, in case you are not looking at the precise moment it appears, or if you have multiple signals you are tracking. There is nothing as useful to combine the visual and auditory powers of the mind to dig out the weak ones, or to separate a busy band full of SSB for that matter.
  • Michael - N5TGL
    edited December 2016
    Since most of the processing happens in the radio, it's doubtful that averaging or panafall will cause any computer to stumble. I ran averaging and panafall any time my flex 3000/5000 was on, for many of the same reasons mentioned above...it made it much easier to catch weak ones. The waterfall was flat awesome for finding open spots during contests. I see the panafall on the roadmap, but I don't see averaging. Here's to hoping it doesn't fall by the wayside.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.