Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

For V4 I would like to have ........

2»

Comments

• Neil D Friedman N3DF
    Neil D Friedman N3DF Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Can't you accomplish some of that now with the "Display" menu?
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I mean changing the overall appearance of the SSDR display and not just the panadapter.
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Burt, your latter point is extremely important. Every known-but-uncorrected defect is a hidden time-bomb. Implementing a new feature with uncorrected defects lurking could make the new feature unreliable. And when the cause of a defect is eventually tracked down, correcting it may require significant changes to the subsequent implementation of one or more features  - changes that would not have been required had the defect been corrected before the new features were implemented.

So yes, clean the wall before you paint it, and make sure the foundation is solid before you **** the structure atop it.
  • DL4RCE
    DL4RCE Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Pure Signal / Pre-distortion please :)

Volker
  • VK7WH Winston
    VK7WH Winston Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I don’t think you would receive much support on this one, Pat. I, and I believe the majority of current users, would vote to retain the current display as it is. Winston VK7WH
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I would like the world map on the display along with the DX spots, like what we have on PSDR right now.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited April 2019
    You can get DX spots on the panadapter now.
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    and you can have those spots displayed on a world map now
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I wonder if the reason Flex bundles Multiflex with patches/fixes is that it forces more people to buy the upgrade. If they did as Dave suggests, and license Multiflex separately, they would only have people wanting Multiflex buying the license. It might greatly reduce their revenue and expose the real interests of users.
  • KC2QMA_John
    KC2QMA_John Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Jon you may be on to something?
    I don’t think FRS is nefarious like that but after this v3.0 roll out I would like to think they are going to re-think there software development strategy, But what do I know?
  • Joe N3HEE
    Joe N3HEE Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    After being a Flex customer for 8 months and experiencing two upgrades I can now say that I am loosing enthusiasm for Flex. I’ve also been an Elecraft customer for the past 5 years. I am still enthusiastic about the K3 and have recommended it to many others over the years. It is a top notch high performance amateur radio platform. Satisfied, excited and delighted customers will help Flex capture a larger market share and increase their annual revenue which will benefit all of us. I sincerely hope Flex pays attention to the recent feedback and makes adjustments. I truly want them to succeed in building a world class amateur radio platform. Joe N3HEE
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Get DAX to work via SmartLink.

Reggie
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I can bring up the world map in SSDR panadapter?
  • Ed.G
    Ed.G FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Reggie, DAX works via SmartLink starting with v2.4.9. This functionality is also in v3.0.19
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    You can display the locations of active stations on a world map displayed by a 3rd party application; clicking the location of an active station on the map will QSY your Flex Signature to the station's frequency and mode.
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    So FT8 can be used remotely via SmartLink via a PC laptop?

Reggie
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Other features I would like included in V4 would be the ability to pin commonly used functions to the lower bar much like the windows task bar.

I would also like placed on the lower bar displays for temp, voltage, etc. I know you can get these via DDUTIL but why clutter up the screen with more apps when the information is readily available on the radio? I know others use DDUTIL for a lot more but I don't.

• Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Pat perhaps an Icon for each block on the control panel, so when the control panel is hiden you just click an icon along the bottom bar to bring up a control block.

Radio information as you say would be good, perhaps on the top bar?

And I would like an auto id feature, in CW or voice.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    Bill, are you referring to the panels on right side? If so already exists on buttons at top of the panels on right. You can hide unneeded ones. Dave wo2x
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I heard you tonight, to me? Flex sounded better,, but so close to call.  thanks dave.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    Yes
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited April 2019
    Thanks Bill. Dave
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Never mind, I just took a close look at the control panel and you can do almost anything you want with it,,it is well thought out.
  • Reggie
    Reggie Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Thanks.  I will give it a try.
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I wanted to clarify that my wish for a future version Maestro and M model carrying onboard additional software may be as simple as allowing software FRS vets as acceptable to be hosted and run on the internal display computer with some provision to provide access through SmartSDR for Maestro/SmartSDR for M-models GUI.  

This limited capability would not be to provide a full operating computer environment, but would perhaps to allow some very limited capabilities including shimware to handle certain configurations in the ecosystem.

Some of the ideal uses would be watchdog routines and better interfacing with 4o3a Genius product line for automation.

Steve
    K9ZW
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I am not a Flex employee,

Flex already does that. as I understand..It is impossible to end up with a 100% defect free software..They on a regular bases review two kinds of defects. The ones that are critical to the performanc of the radio, and the defects that are not.

• Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    No, Flex has not followed a policy of correcting all reported defects before implementing new features.

No one can claim that any non-trivial application is free of latent defects, but one can correct all reported defects. Over the past 18 years, the number of reported-but- uncorrected defects across all 8 applications in the DXLab Suite has rarely exceeded 4, and is usually 0. Newly reported defects are typically corrected within 24 hours.

The traffic in this forum over the past few weeks would make an excellent case study demonstrating what happens when a major enhancement is introduced without all previously-reported defects having been corrected, particularly when the major enhancement is not of interest to all users (which would have been fine had all reported defects been corrected).
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Imagine if you bought a new 6600 and something on it didn't work. You would expect it to be fixed before new models are introduced and it usually is. Then why is software not always fixed before new major releases are introduced ?

You pay for the software just like you pay for the hardware yet the software doesn't get the attention that the hardware does. In the case of Flex, the software is as much a vital component of the rig as any physical component
  • Burt Fisher
    Burt Fisher Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    One does not make money from fixing bugs. Although I recently got help from Eric where he stayed on the phone over an hour ON A WEEKEND.
  • Dave AA6YQ
    Dave AA6YQ Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Eric KE5DTO consistently provides excellent support. It is a pleasure to work with him.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.