for those that look IC-7610

• Praise
  • Updated 8 months ago
Hi for those that look for IC-7610 instead on wait for it 6400 or 6600 and was familiar whit flex 

just got my today and that some quick observation ,mostly oriented for Remote EME operation 

1-) transverter offset  is limited to 99mhz max  ????
2-) on 20m  whit no pre-amp and IP+ on   ADC overflow  (allot )  an no contest today !
3-) RS-BA1 work like a charm whit no PC , BUT NO BANSCOPE ! 
      bandscope need 115,200 bps CAT connection , but 7610 limited to 19200
4-) RS-BA1 Handel only 1 "slice"
5-) XVRT output level is un-documented , i measure 
     from -17.3 to -2.5 dbm @ 3.55mhz
     from -18.1 to -3 dbm @ 28mhz
     from -21.4 to -4.12 dbm @ 50mhz
     so look unleveled , but clean
6-) i notice some leakage from ANT1 or 2 to XVRT port 
     so if you do EME on 144 you may pick some 28mhz CW that leak from HF antenna   

actually have better result whit 7300 ,whit improvised Transveter by tap before pre-driver transistor    

1 ,3 ,4  will likely fix on future software update ,but whit luck new 6x000
will be ship before ;-) 

so now i hope my SunSDR ( in the mail) is a better candidate 

Marc L.  VE2PN
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 354 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 835 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
Yeah Marc, i am owner of 6700 and SunSDR2PRO - first on the main position with 2K-FA and second on the field position with 1K-FA - both the best and 

7610:

- no duplex
- no diversity
- S-metr show something
- no I/Q
and biggest disadvantage is:

cellofan noise  - probably this is background of the filters with unilinear phase characteristic but minimum signal delay and AGC amplification with delay:

and i ask FRS to tune AGC in F6000 to the best position ,
here are comparison of the different rigs(tks UT4LW) in purpose to compare with IC-7610 - https://youtu.be/8mlYshI6X7Y
(Edited)
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 333 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
The Icom in this recording has waaaaaaay too much RF gain.
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 354 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
HI  

got my SunSDR2 pro today  ,i love it  ;-) 

flex is still the best of course ,but that lite thing not more bigger that a QSL card it really not so bad

10mhz ext ref 
do VHF  like that 6700 but whit 8W output so may drive W6PQL pallet 
VAC audio 
nice software interface ,not as clean as SmartSDR  but much better that PowerSDR  
fully configurable band decoder

on bad side
MOX button is way to small 
and require more band-whit when operated remote compared to flex on a  VPN 
run hot  ,passive cooling is good on paper but reality need a fan  radio = 46 deg on receive only 

so icom is returned on it box  and it for sale 
but will keep that small SunSDR2 pro for sure as backup radio one got my flex 6600M
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 809 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
You are right, like always - some positives and negatives
so off top here but Marc I recommend to install SDC application by UT4LW from this thread http://www.cqham.ru/forum/showthread....
SDC10_21 https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PEFI...
Connection with TCI link to ESDR SW
And let’s try LogHX what supporting as well TCI
BTW I use LogHX with Flex too
LogHX thread with latest releases are here for download
- http://forum.qrz.ru/355-loghx-apparat...
Latest build is 378

TCI is internal protocol aka API

So , right now remote SW available with additional apps based on PI3, but in roadmap for Q1 2018 full remote
with optimized bandwidth - below 300kbit

do not worry abt cooling , temp balance nearly 46-48C
but in case be sure many hams using external cooler on top of radiator
signal from 15pin circuit on back panel , temperature threshold via ESDR setup
(Edited)
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 354 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Ho  just start to play whit the "wide" band-scope 
it jaw dropping to see 80MHz wide in VHF and what a tool for finding local intermod 

also start to really like the MIC AGC , in digital mode it put right signal level even if you try hard for screw it 

as soon outdoor temp rise a bit (it -20 ceilsus now) will go install it on remote site
really what to see how it perform on EME
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 809 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
Marc , try also NB2 (magic fucntion even in AM !)  and for SSB  this one works well:

Photo of Alan W4FBI

Alan W4FBI

• 231 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
And, saw an IC-7610 for $3500 already (QTH)..
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 354 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
(Edited)
Photo of Mike

Mike

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I scored that one today.  Ended up getting the rig for $3250 to my door and the seller kept the Icom desk mic that was included in the package.

For that price, I figure I did pretty well and expect this will keep me busy until the 6400/6600 drops and we see some reviews.  Its replacing a 7300 in my shack so still a step in the right direction.
(Edited)
Photo of Jerry Gardner

Jerry Gardner

• 63 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
This isn't a zero sum game, folks. You don't have to attack the 7610 in order to bolster the 6x00... Let the 6x00 stand on its own merits.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9134 Posts
  • 3459 Reply Likes
I do not see this as an attack per se, but a review of a radio's pros and cons.  As I am sure others will do when the 6400 and 6600s are available.
Photo of Jd Dupuy

Jd Dupuy

• 155 Posts
  • 60 Reply Likes
Hi Jerry. I just see the information as a good reference. Kind of like buying a car. I have the IC-7610 also. Going on 3 weeks now. If it was my first radio I would know no difference. But I have a fleet of 20 radios in the shack, everyone produced for the past 15 years. All the Big ICOMs. And the other companies. The 7610 is a nice radio, but don't see any major improvements at least to my ears over past models. Its a keeper and I won't sell it.  I'll buy the new Flex next year when they begin shipping from stock. Until then I continue to enjoy my Maestro and 6300. Happy New Year!
Photo of Richard McClelland, AA5S

Richard McClelland, AA5S

• 270 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
You'll have to let us know how the 7610 compares to the 6800 (when it comes out.)  
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 353 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
not worry will test it for sure ;-) 

first thing i do it put on freezer
my "ex" 6700 not work under 0 deg  ok that out of flex temp operating range
but for now ICOM ,Elecraft , SUNSDR ,yaesu  work even - 20 and all is rated to 0 like flex   ,actually i look all chip inside flex and it all rate to -40 + 85  so normally it must work  , like all electronic after all ,have make -20 all the week and still not return yet to stone age ;-)

and i never said 7610 is not a nice radio , but as remote only radio 7300 is better  investment   ,that limitation of RS-BA1  not 7610  ,but icom not tell it ;-)
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 112 Posts
  • 26 Reply Likes
We used to find the #1 culprit when our Mil-Spec radios would fail under temp (-55 to +65 C) was an ESD failure. Usually the radio appears to operate normally at room temperature but failed when stressed by temp. The individual parts were mil-spec but improper handling would be the root cause and you would never know until it hit the temperature chamber.
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1752 Posts
  • 534 Reply Likes
I appreciate this thread guys. Thanks to all for sharing your experiences. I have read that sunsdrs weakness is cw? Any comments Marc?
I think the 8w output from vhf is such a nice touch. I am still disappointed about the lack of any pa on 70mhz and 144mhz on the 6700.
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1752 Posts
  • 534 Reply Likes
Also, how wide can you open on FM with the sunSDR? I was trying to decode NOAA with the 6700. I managed to get a great signal "tricking" the radio with 2 slices (one in band) to then realize that I can not open to 50khz width in FM.
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 354 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Hi 

in WFM  i have 50k up to 310K   and may slide as need like in flex
not try yet CW  , antenna in my physical QTH is really limited and do CW by keyboard 
i totally agree for the 6700 +7dbm is joke  ,Mitsubishi VHF RF module cost 40$ !!!! 50ohm  in/out

find today  that i may display Spot on my band scope ;-)   really nice 

whit a external RF relay  and use DAC out and ADC in you make XVRT port whit +8dbm
so compatible whit flex 

think that 6600m may become my home radio  ,and SUN the remote one  
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 354 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
but must said that i look the Radio PCB and RX band-pass filter was marginal 
and this is visible on many review and test  ,the Third-Order Dynamic Range put that radio deep on Sherwood list (if Rob test it someday )  ,not sure it perform well on crowed band during a constest 

BUT i sure it make a really nice transverter front end ;-)  i very close to be able to test it on EME
still have some work to finish on my amplifier for fit new radio configuration 

that the beast ,   +10dbm 28mhz input  >>  1250W  144mhz output   
and not forgot the 0.2db noise figure cavity LNA   ,design is make for daisy chain amplifier and control   so have XVRT in and OUT  and when not in use RX is redirected to RX only port of the radio for permit full duplex satellite work  or SO2R   , have it twin on the way for 432(500W)  and 1236(500W)

Photo of Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien

• 379 Posts
  • 43 Reply Likes
How are the actual SDR aspects of the 7610 versus Smart SDR ? The reviews of the 7610 at Eham are mostly comparing the 7610 to the 7300 or other old school Icoms.
Photo of Jerry Gardner

Jerry Gardner

• 63 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
The 7300 is not an old school Icom. Like the 7610 it also is a direct sampling SDR rig,
Photo of Ria - N2RJ

Ria - N2RJ, Elmer

• 2254 Posts
  • 879 Reply Likes
"Nobody knows and the Sherwood numbers don't matter. It's a great rig."

That's basically what people are saying. 
Photo of Sergey, R5AU

Sergey, R5AU

• 834 Posts
  • 109 Reply Likes
With plenty of the last review 7610 more expencieve with worse reception to compare with 7300 and BTW one big issue what not yet solved  https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=1&v=u2Z38NJoru0

Other point with 7610 - just come back to my first post here  - AGC in 7610 processing very bad.
A first comment with my post from above was "The Icom in this recording has waaaaaaay too much RF gain."  however with low IF gain AGC are not in duty at all

Final:  alll of the this rig are uncomparable today with 6000 series

and

FRS we are looking for new SW with many improvements as well ) !