For sale rig verification

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
From time to time there are posts here and on other venues from persons selling Flex Radio equipment. 

Is there, or could there be, a system at FRS that can verify via serial number, name, call, or email address, etc. whether or not said piece of equipment offered for sale is legit?

i.e. could someone call and check "does JoeHamXYZ@fraudulentequipment.org  really own a Flex-6700, and does it have a clean bill of health as far as FRS is concerned?"  (has the owner called in with a fried rig and declined service...was it reported stolen...etc?)

Even a simple cross-reference of the database to confirm that a person really DOES own the rig (Or DID own it) would be extremely helpful.

Thoughts?

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Employee

• 4238 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of KF4HR

KF4HR

• 778 Posts
  • 264 Reply Likes
I would imagine FRS could provide initial ownership information, although from a privacy standpoint, I doubt FRS would want to distribute such information.  Also with Flex equipment constantly changing hands I can't see how FRS could keep track of who owns what. 
Photo of Doug

Doug

• 145 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
It would be ideal but with the privacy laws these days I doubt Flex should get involved unless the owner signed a release etc. I am not an lawyer but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4236 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
..."I am not an lawyer but i did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night..."

LOL!  Best line of the morning!
Photo of W8QB

W8QB

• 159 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Trust is important for both parties to a purchase transaction.  In my case, I am considering selling my one month old no issues/pristine condition 6400M, but probably would do so only within the context of a Dallas-area face to face meeting with payment in the form of a cashier's check drawn on a major U.S. bank.  If anyone is interested, offers can be sent to w8qb@arrl.net .  I will consider serious offers only, and will need to speak with prospective buyers beforehand by phone before considering a personal meeting, and there will be no replies to low-ball offers.  
(Edited)
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 614 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes
I didn't realize this was a for sale board :-)
Photo of W8QB

W8QB

• 159 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
On this board, do a search on the term “for sale””.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4236 Posts
  • 1351 Reply Likes
It isn't a for sale board, but from time to time a long-time flex user will share sale information with others in the group as they upgrade, etc.
Photo of Wayne

Wayne

• 614 Posts
  • 89 Reply Likes

There would be a fee for that and the buyer would have to provide ALL the details the callsign, the owners name, the serial number since privacy would prevent flex from releasing that info but they could confirm the info the caller provided is correct.

Now what happens when a person sells a flex to a private party and as so many do ignore updating Flex Radio since the warranty has already expired there is no need to and no requirement to do so.

Now the buyer calls in pays the fee and Flex says I'm sorry that information does not match what we have on record, so the seller is legit, the buyer is legit, but now the buyer tells the seller he is not legit.

What a bag of worms.

Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9186 Posts
  • 3548 Reply Likes
Official Response
In order to protect our customer's privacy, we will not confirm ownership of any radio that was purchased from us.
Photo of W8QB

W8QB

• 159 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
Exactly!