Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

For sale - Flex-6700

Ria
Ria Member ✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in The Flea Market
I'm selling my Flex-6700. I placed an ad on QTH.com, but also giving the community a heads up. Asking $6000. Offers welcome. 

I'm not getting out of the flex game. I just temporarily need to downsize. Hopefully I should get a new radio later on this year or early next year. 

Email: rjairam@gmail.com 
Tagged:

Comments

• Manuel - W4SSB
    edited June 2020
    Hopefully you will be alpha/beta testing the 6700 replacement.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Yeah I dunno what Flex has planned. I've heard nothing. Your guess is as good as mine!

(But that is not why I am selling).
  • KF4HR
    KF4HR Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Given Ria's involvement with Flex Alpha testing and Contesting it's easy to see why Manuel would suspect a replacement may be coming for the 6700.  As soon as I saw this Post, I thought the same thing.

With the 6400/M and 6600/M models out my guess is 6700 sales must have dropped off considerably.  And now that these newer models are out, it doesn't make sense that the 6700 flagship not have the best OEM contest filtering.  I was hoping to see FRS come out with a 7th Order Filter product (internal or external) for the 6700, but I suppose there wouldn't be much profit involved with such a product.

It wouldn't surprise me if the 6700 eventually gets dropped or replaced with a newer model.  My hope is FRS maintains an 8 slice flagship transceiver. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I do agree with you, and I can assure you that I have no advance knowledge of anything (if any) that Flex is preparing for Hamvention release, other than software I am testing. I also agree that the 6700 with 8 slices is the top of the line Flex, even though the 6600 has the contest band filters. 
  • W2PP
    W2PP Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Does this also mean you are no longer testing the PGXL either?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I'm keeping the PGXL, and my exile is only temporary. The PGXL works with many kinds of radios, and it is being tested with many kinds of radios.
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Congrats on the new job, Ria! And great to hear that you're able to keep the 6700!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Thank you. I’m super excited about my new opportunity as they are really great with all the things I need and they are not far from home, so my commute gets cut in half. They are really excited to have me on board as I’ve interviewed way up the chain, even with the global division head and he was suitably impressed. But I’ll be around to help people, for sure. Ria
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Ria, at any time during the interview process did hobbies come up? And if it did, did you explain what you do with ham radio? Did it possibly help to get the job?
    Just curious as I wonder if it still helps in the technical job market as it used too?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    In the in person interview I mentioned how I am a ham and how I also work with IOT devices, which I do (using AWS). I also mentioned my adventures with writing python code for raspberry pi. The interviewer gave me a surprised look and said, “wow.” Then he mentioned that he might have his daughter talk to me because she wants to learn about IOT stuff and also raspberry pi and arduino. That’s when the deal was sealed. But actually I had a good feeling I got the job after the internal recruiter said that she got really good feedback from the global director who I interviewed with via Skype. This is a European company so their leadership is in Europe and they are building out more of their US operations. Then as soon as I came in the recruiter that brought me up to be interviewed started showing me the amenities of the new building and talking about benefits and was basically doing as if I had the job already. So maybe, maybe not. I’m not shy about being a ham at all. But it depends on the kind of ham you are. If you’re the technically curious type you will emit that vibe and hiring managers will pick up on it. If you don’t well being a ham doesn’t help. I put my callsign in my LinkedIn too. Ria
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    My main fear when interviewing is being overqualified, sometimes. I graduated from NYU engineering and I have 20 years of experience. At my last job I also interfaced with everyone right up to C Level, but also executive producers and on-air talent. The latter is what I enjoyed the most.
  • Patrick
    Patrick Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Being over qualified is a crock...  What it is, is that hiring managers do not like to hire someone smarter then them.   But that is usually a bad manager.  A good manager knows that having smart people around and managing them well is a big plus.  Managing in an engineering environment is sometimes difficult in that there are giant egos to deal with.  A good manager will focus that energy in the right direction.  Good luck and longevity in your new position. 
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Being over qualified does exist. It is possible a persons experience is way higher than what is needed in a position being offered.
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    I know a senior engineer who has two favorite questions for potential new employees.
    "What is your hobby?" and "do you service and repair your car?"
    An engineer who says no to the last one just isn't that into it.
    Andrew VK5CV
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Ham radio and yes. I even designed my own OBDII scan tool.

Ria
  • Tony Taddeo
    Tony Taddeo Member
    edited June 2018
    You’ve got the job!
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Andrew, Hah!! Funny, I would not get hired. It is much more cost effictive to get someone to service my cars. Rather spend that time with my wife. Guess I am not an engineer. ;>) Gerald
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Being over qualified is a crock...  What it is, is that hiring managers do not like to hire someone smarter then them. 
    I think in some cases it falls under age discrimination, which is the real issue. However I am not old enough to qualify under age discrimination laws. That said, I don't want to work anywhere where I am not welcomed. I won't be a good fit there.  But it's a candidate's market, so no worries.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Being over qualified is a crock...  What it is, is that hiring managers do not like to hire someone smarter then them. 
    I think in some cases it falls under age discrimination, which is the real issue. However I am not old enough to qualify under age discrimination laws. That said, I don't want to work anywhere where I am not welcomed. I won't be a good fit there.  But it's a candidate's market, so no worries.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2018
     It is much more cost effictive to get someone to service my cars. 
    Gerald - I agree with you and I have a local independent I trust. But I can and I have. BTW for me it is more of an issue of trust. I have had car dealerships ruin my car and then pretend like nothing happened. The local dealership I bought my minivan from stripped one of my lug nuts and just put on another non-locking nut that was rounded. I made them buy a new set of 4 when I went home and found out. I was so mad. 
  • Andrew VK5CV
    Andrew VK5CV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Gerald, I agree that it’s often not cost effective for you and me at this point of our lives. The younger ones have more time than money. But it can be fun. So there are things I spend time on as it’s more satisfying . There are retired hams who do service and repair of all sorts of stuff. I only build things I can’t or don’t want to buy these days. In many cases a simple cheap fix or build is better than a $$$ replacement or purchase. Andrew VK5CV
  • Oxford English
    Oxford English Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Ria, glad that you have sorted your employment issues and good to know that you will be a continued presence here.

Tim
  • Bill-KB0BK
    Bill-KB0BK Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Ria - many times these life events turn out to be an opportunity that you might not have otherwise had. Good luck! Bill