Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FMT Upcoming Frequency Measurement Test (Thursday)

Options
k3Tim
k3Tim Member ✭✭✭

The 2016 FTM is this Thursday, April 7th at 0215 UTC.  

I am debating some strategies for it and will likely use FLDiGi but wonder if a different program be better suited (Spectrum Lab)?

Since the FMT starts at 14.121Mc would there be any to correlate the propagation effects from WWV @ 15.000Mc ?

Thanks for any comments / guidance.

_..--
k3Tim

Answers

• ai6re
    ai6re Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Tim, Sorry for the late reply but I use Spectran to measure the difference between my Flex6500 frequency and the signal being measured. My Flex is connected to a GPS clock so it is pretty much on frequency. I tune in the frequency to be measured in USB mode and then tune down 100 HZ. This creats a 100hz tone that I use spectran to measure very well down to .01 hz and this is the amount of error between my flex and the signal being checked. I also do this same test between wwv and my radio which normally indicates 0.02hz error. Donimage
  • k3Tim
    k3Tim Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Don,

Thanks for this information and the setup - very helpful...

0.01 Hz resolution!  Reading the old FMT scores, in the 70's they were lucky to be in the 10 Hz range, then technology progressed to within 1-Hz.  Now we are at sub Hz range.  It is interesting to see the effects of propagation in the measurement.

Unfortunately, I was unable to pickup the FMT signal. My end fed antenna is not the best. 

Begards,

k3Tim

• Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I've been contacted by a couple of people that needed some additional help with this.  A common problem was getting PuTTY to do what they wanted connecting to the radio.  The error in most cases was that they had launched PuTTY, entered the IP and port and attempted connection.  Below the IP and Port is a protocol radio button that must be switched to Telnet rather than the default SSH.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.