Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FMH-2 Microphone now included with the FLEX-6600/M and FLEX-6400/M

Tim - W4TME
Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Based on continued constructive user feedback, we are officially announcing that all of the FLEX-6600 and the FLEX-6400 Signature Series SDRs, including the "M" models, will ship with a FlexRadio FHM-2 condenser hand mic. The mic will connect to the back of the radio, using the 1/8' mic connector for audio and the RCA PTT connector for keying the radio.  The mic cable will be long enough to allow for convenient operation with the radio on a desktop.  We will be updating the New Product FAQ shortly to reflect this change. Thank you for your continued positive feedback.
8 votes

Completed · Last Updated

Comments

• Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Sorry to be OT, but what's the difference between the FHM-1 and FHM-2 microphones?
  • George KF2T
    George KF2T Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Can the mic be removed from the order, perhaps for a small discount? I’ve never even unboxed my 6500’s FHM.
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Maybe the FHM-2 has two connectors on it, 1/8" phono and a RCA for PTT unlike the FHM-1 with Foster 8 pin. That's my guess.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    Can the 6400 have a 1/4 inch plug Please!!!
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    2 is greater than 1, so it must be better ;-)

The FHM-2 is a higher gain, wider response range condenser microphone.  The FHM-1 was a low gain dynamic mic.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    It is a standard accessory with the radio.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    Only the FLEX-6600 and FLEX-6600M will have a balanced mic input.
  • Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Tim, can you post a picture of the new microphone with the connectors. I am havin a little trouble understanding how the PTT works. I see the 6400M has RCA PTT and TX 1, 2 and 3. So what (or which) is used for the PTT and how is the microphone connected?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    We don't have one to take a picture of at this time.  They are being manufactured and we'll not have them until later.

Off of the mic cable is a  "Y" splity" where one leg is the 1/8" mic audio input connector and the other is an RCA male connector for PTT.  Theconnectornctor will connect to the female PTT RCA connector on the back of the radio.  TX 1-3 (TX Relay) is for keying external devices when MOX is asserted (the tradio is transmitting or "keyed up").  The PTT connector is for keying the radio.
  • Steve Gw0gei
    Steve Gw0gei Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Tim, how will a Heil Proset headphone connect to the 6600 ? Will it require an adapter lead? I currently use a yaesu adapter lead on my 6300 to use my Heil sets Regards Steve gw0gei
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    For the mic connection, the answer is probably not since the connector off the headset is a 1/8" plug.  If the headphones connector is a 1/8" TRS plug, then the answer for that connection is no adapter is needed.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I dont think I read this anywhere yet...

On the 6600/m is the 1/8" and 1/4" mic connectors separate inputs or are they wired together as a single balanced input.

Rich
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited October 2017
    Rich, they are electrically separate.  The 1/8" is a pseudo-balanced input and the 1/4" is a balanced input.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Well how awesome is that. So we can have options :)

As always, thanks Tim.

Rich
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Will these work on the current Maestro? I had to transform my fmh-1 into a condenser mic to make it usable with the Maestro. I think making this new minc the default accessory with the Maestro as well will be a good idea.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    The FHM-2 already works on Maestro.  The mic included with the new radios is the same element, but the cabling will not work with the Maestro (no RCA PTT)
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I see. I got an FHM-1 with my Maestro. Does the FHM-2 come standard with the Maestro now. I think it would great if it did.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    We have transitioned over to the FHM-2 for all products sold that include a hand mic.
  • EA4GLI
    EA4GLI Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I didn't know that! Thanks for the clarification.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Tim,  Will the FHM-2 included with the 6400/6600 have the same 8-pin RJ45 on the mike end that the FHM-1 had?  In other words, would owners of an FHM-2 be able to quickly swap-out the cable and use it with their other rigs - i.e. Maestro?
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    Yes.  The RJ-45 pinout for the mic "head" is the same for both the FHM-1 and FHM-2.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2017
    Tim will the cable be detachable on the FHM-2 included with the 6400/6600 models? That way users can order the optional cable from Flex to use the FHM-2 mic with a Maestro. Dave wo2x
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited June 2017
    Yes, it will.
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2017
    Excellent!
  • Clay N9IO
    Clay N9IO Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

Not sure if I caught the answer here,

will the FHM-2 work on the Maestro???

Sorry if I missed it.

• mlstutler
    mlstutler Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Tim, what about Radio Sport head sets? 

Will there be an adaptor available?

• Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    So given that I make the connectors match up, are you saying that my $250 Heil Pro7 that I bought for my 6500 will not work with the 6600, and that I need to replace it with a Pro7 iC?
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2017
    No. You may need to use the 20 dB boost in SmartSDR with the dynamic element of the Pro 7. You will need an adapter to go from the plug on the Pro 7 to the audio in, audio out, and PTT on the rear of the 6600. Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited August 2017
    The FHM-2 will work on the Maestro. flex sells a replacement cable that has RJ45 on each end and plugs into mic 1 on Maestro. You will need to turn on Maestro mic bias and also be able to turn off the 20 dB boost since the FHM2 has a higher output. Dave wo2x
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    edited June 2020
    If the 1/8" mic connector on the 6600 is wired the same as the Maestro then RadioSport makes a cable for the Maestro that has right angle connectors on it and should work. Tim can clarify. On th Maestro he mic2 1/8" carries mic and PTT signals. Dave wo2x

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.