Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexRadio 6500 and Smart SDR sends data to 184.172.60.196?

Mickey N4MB
Mickey N4MB Member
edited May 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Using Wireshark poking around on my local network, I find that my FlexRadio 6500 and SmartSDR are both sending data to 184.172.60.196. This IP is assigned to ThePlanet.com Internet Services, Inc., out of Houston, TX.  

I presume that FlexRadio is collecting data from my radio? 

What data and why? 

Answers

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    What software release are you running?  I just ran Wireshark on my network and don't see any traffic from either the radio or SmartSDR going out of my local network.

Stu K6TU
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015
    I doubt it very much.  Do you have TeamViewer installed?  That IP belongs to them.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    No conspiracy here! It does seem to be teamviewer. Here is a traceroute to the IP.

TraceRoute from Network-Tools.com to 184.172.60.196 [server18103.teamviewer.com]
    Hop(ms)(ms)(ms)
         IP AddressHost name 1   Timed out   Timed out   Timed out        -   2   0   0   0      4.69.146.5   -   3   0   0   0      4.69.145.14  ae-1-60.edge5.dallas3.level3.net   4   0   0   0      4.59.32.38  ae4-bbr01.eq01.dal03.networklayer.com   5   1   1   1      50.97.18.193  ae6.dar02.sr01.dal05.networklayer.com   6   1   1   1      173.192.118.145  po2.fcr03.sr03.dal05.networklayer.com   7   1   1   1      184.172.60.196  server18103.teamviewer.com  

Jon

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    At least it would be nice to see a retraction made...  mistakes are honestly and easily made.

Thanks
    Stu K6TU
  • Mickey N4MB
    Mickey N4MB Member
    edited December 2016
    No retraction. I can post the trace if anyone's interested.
  • Richard G7EIX
    Richard G7EIX Member ✭✭
    edited March 2015

Posting the trace along with details of your network config would be a good next step. Router? Where is the Flex connected? Do you have Teamviewer installed?

There is no logical reason why any data would be sent to a Teamviewer server. So either you are misreading the trace or Teamviewer is intercepting and forwarding traffic.

• Mickey N4MB
    Mickey N4MB Member
    edited December 2016
    Okay, I withdraw the question. Here's what seems to have happened. 

Looking at the original trace, there is other traffic to the Teamviewer IP during the same time from another IP on the network. It appears that this IP somehow responsed to a broadcast packet (to 255.255.255.255) from the radio on port 4992. Odd. There have been some historical bugs around broadcast forwarding, and it could be that something on the network (my router?) is doing it.

I repeated the trace several times with a complete startup/shutdown of the radio and Smart SDR and found no other packets other than broadcast packets from the radio and communication from the radio to the computer.

The radio and PC are behind a simple Arris router provided by comcast. NAT, DHCP (obviously) on the inside - 5 or 6 PCs and lots of gadgets (mostly Linux variants) on the segment.

Honestly, I'm a bit disappointed. I think it would be nice for FRS to be able to track radio versions, errors, etc., automagically, with our permission, of course. 

Sorry to get everyone excited. 

Mickey N4MB
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017

Your question and a visit to my insurance agent about naming the flex as a specific item (on my policy the flex is covered under personal items, even when out on FD) raised the question about tracking stolen items.

Would you want your radio to send a message to flex on every power up with external IP address, GPS location for those with that feature?

Would Flex want to receive this information or internally specify a target "collection" point?  Whatever the address it must be on for everyone and not user configurable and be delayed until GPS establishes location (or timeout) and an external link is available.

As an aside:  "I've got good news and bad news, You're not paranoid."

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    There are NO Secrets. The NSA already has your radio's serial number and IP

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.