FlexRadio Systems Flex-6700 Transceiver ARRL Auction

• Idea
  • Updated 3 years ago

I bought my Flex 5000 there in 2008 when you could still get a deal, now it seems all about who wants bragging rights who paid the most, current price is a deal at $5200

Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1107 Posts
  • 383 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Jon - KF2E

Jon - KF2E

• 648 Posts
  • 195 Reply Likes
That's still $2300 less than a new one. If it sells for near that it's a good deal.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1107 Posts
  • 383 Reply Likes
It won't, I posted it here to help some ham who knows what they are doing get it
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1289 Posts
  • 657 Reply Likes

High bid was $6953, to which the ARRL will add insured shipping. 

Having the experience of being the bidder who bought the Hilberling PT-8000A the ARRL auctioned off in their prior auction, my personal plan if I had been the high bidder was to send the radio to FRS to have if checked out before putting it in my shack. 

In the case of the radio I purchased nothing was broken, but almost every possible user control/trimmer/adjustment had been manipulated during their test process and perhaps further while a guest radio in the league's shack.  Lost a lot of time essentially troubleshooting what had been adjusted and left at extremes.

With the Flex-6700 there is less chance of this, but I would still personally have it bench checked with the experience of the last purchase out of the lab's review radios.

Steve  K9ZW

Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1289 Posts
  • 657 Reply Likes

Some manufacturer's cooperate in transferring remaining warranty.  FRS has a process and charges a nominal administrative fee, which I chose to do on the Flex-6300 travel radio I bought secondhand.

Without that cooperation and process, you are right that the purchase is an "as is" purchase.

So budgeting on this Flex-6700 the final buy price would be about $7178 when shipping (est $150) and warranty transfer fee are applied. 

If the buyer has it shipped to FlexRadio Systems for a checkout I'd guess another couple hundred dollars is shipping and service fee might be needed.

Remember the they are helping out the ARRL in process, which is a good thing in addition to any deal benefit they get.

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Walt - KZ1F

Walt - KZ1F

• 3040 Posts
  • 643 Reply Likes
Steve, wouldn't that particular radio be out of warranty anyway?
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 814 Posts
  • 1465 Reply Likes
That radio is probably still under warranty if they do the warranty transfer since the ARRL bought it last year.
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1107 Posts
  • 383 Reply Likes
Since new is 7,499.00 the ARRL auction price sounds like a poor deal unless you get a tax write-off for contributing to the ARRL.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4025 Posts
  • 1248 Reply Likes
You should be able to deduct anything over the fair market value of the item you purchase in a charity auction. So if the used value is $7k and you paid $9k then you can deduct $2k as a charitable donation. But a lot of folks fudge on this and deduct the total amount. I don't recommend it.