FlexRadio Systems Announces Upcoming Availability of SmartSDR v3.0

• Praise
  • Updated 4 days ago
I haven't been keeping up with the community like I should. I Just saw this on the Flex support site: https://www.flexradio.com/downloads/press-release-smartsdr-v3/

The date of the article is January 28, 2019. 

I see three new features announced:
1) Multiflex
2) new band settings menu/panel
3) TX/MIC Profile changes saved on the fly

There's more? $199.

I know; if it's not for me don't buy it. Or, to put a Harley twist on it, if you have to ask, you'll never understand. My feelings about v1, v2 and now maybe v3 are that v1 had tons of innovative stuff added from the early days up to the release of v2. V2 didn't seem to have much past its initial features. I pull some windows out of the main window sometimes. Now, to me, v3 doesn't really seem to add a whole lot of general stuff over v2 for a $199 price tag.

For those that know the rig well and may not be so into the remote features (doesn't work on AT&T 4G)... how might the features above be valuable? Is there anything there really exciting that would compel you to move from v1 or v2 to v3? If so, I'd like to hear about it.

For those of you still on v1, have you felt like you missed anything? People are still using v1, right?

Kev K4VD
Photo of Kevin N4TT, Elroy

Kevin N4TT, Elroy

• 925 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
  • amused.

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

Tim - G7GFW / F4VQP

• 170 Posts
  • 72 Reply Likes
I think it would be great to have 2 instances (or 3 or 4) of SSDR running at the same time on different computers. 

I can see that for Contesters it would be great but for me, it really would be magic, 4 slice receivers at the same time and a simple click to change the TX slice.

Mind you, I do have a lot of computers and screens available and a KVM switch for mouse and keyboard. All tied it up to WS7M's Flexlogger - just need to sort out where the database is stored. 

Tim
(Edited)
Photo of K5ROX

K5ROX

• 114 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Years and all I want is a basic squelch and a ANF that work good...... every other radio ive had for 10 years has both.
Photo of bobby

bobby

• 55 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Can u say I Can Only Monitor? (ICOM)
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3507 Posts
  • 835 Reply Likes
bobby, can you make your question more clear? thanks...
(Edited)
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 445 Posts
  • 207 Reply Likes
I don't get the reason for the HF squelch, perhaps just a bad habit from legacy radios? I have virtual silence when nobody is talking, just play with the RF gain and AGC. This isn't a squelch workaround, it's just how I operate my radio.
Before getting a 5000A , then 6500, then 6700, I operated with 1000MP and a Kenwood 2000. Never found any need whatsoever for HF squelch since using either Flexradio.

Kevin N4TT, Elroy

• 921 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
But others do get the reason.
Photo of Gene Duprey

Gene Duprey

• 73 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have also never found a reason for HF Squelch.  I have always disabled it with radios that did have it.
Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 128 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
@K5ROX. Thanks for the useful input!
Photo of K5ROX

K5ROX

• 114 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
4 receivers running and all alone silent.....but 4 together isn't.

I and other have been told it would have squelch...... shouldn't the companies word be enough?

Even more so..... there is squelch for FM, why disable it for other modes?

Its there.. don't turn it off.  NoOne has to use it, why would there input even count, Its optional.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3507 Posts
  • 835 Reply Likes
K5ROX, this has been hashed out a lot in the past. No squelch yet, that's how it is.
But what most of us are doing is using Slice Master to take care of it. It works with SSDR as if it is part of SSDR.
(Edited)

Kevin N4TT, Elroy

• 921 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
This is kind of a pet peeve of mine so sorry about what may seem like a diatribe.
NoOne has to use it, why would there input even count, Its optional.
I think that's a point some people forget. There can only be two things on a person's mind when they shoot down another's suggestion:

1) They don't want it to interfere with suggestions they already made and are waiting for. I can kind of understand this I guess.

2) They are <blank> enough to think their way is the only way and your suggestion is just silly.

Oh, there's another about them trying to protect precious Flex resources when, in fact, they have no real idea what those resources might be. Same group that buys something just to support the company I'd guess.

Let Flex take care of their own business.

Would I use squelch? Probably not. It doesn't really suite the way I operate. Would I not want you to have it because I don't want it? That would be kind of <blank> of me.

Kev K4VD

Photo of K5ROX

K5ROX

• 114 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Kevin, Exactly... well put.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3519 Posts
  • 840 Reply Likes
This has opened up a new world for contesting, this is something no other radio can do or can do. And it's just a start. I don't think I will purchase V3 just yet as it does not improve my station much at all because of the way I operate. But I do understand this Multiflex is a big big deal and changes everything, So I will belittle it.

I find the new panel interesting and this may be useful.

Kevin N4TT, Elroy

• 925 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
Problem solved. I just got in line for the V3 upgrade. It only cost me about $8K. It comes with a 6700, Maestro and other goodies. V3 better be worth it. ;)

Kev K4VD
Photo of Neal - K3NC

Neal - K3NC, Elmer

• 493 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Just be prepared to spend the same amount in 2-3 years when v4 comes out!
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 446 Posts
  • 207 Reply Likes
Congrats Kevin!  Really though, smart thing to do if you were upgrading your radio anyways, especially that deal.
Photo of Wayne Schonfeld

Wayne Schonfeld

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Sounds like a nice update.  Am I the only one who noticed that this update is only 1 1/2 years since version 2?  It was a lot longer between version 1 and 2 (several years).  Should we expect version 4 in 6 months and noting no additional cost to update no matter what version you have-just wait.  Just thinking out loud.
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 665 Posts
  • 194 Reply Likes
Let's get through V3 first!  :)
Photo of KM6CQ - Dan

KM6CQ - Dan

• 173 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I'm thinking it will save me from buying a third monitor. I think the iPad will handle the radio controls fine while I use the two existing monitors for other duties. It was one of those things. At first glance I thought what do I need that for? After thinking about it, it was probably not Flex's first intention, maybe not even the second or third. But it works for me.
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 108 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Similar thinking makes me want having sync betwen SSDR and Maestro. Being able to have same slice open on both and then tuning with Maestro following on the "big" screen would be great for me. I really do hope they will look it over and see if this is easy implemented?

Photo of W1MSG

W1MSG

• 56 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I was hoping for the ability to access the recording files and not need additional software. I just looked through some of the requests for features and none of them were added. 
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 457 Posts
  • 98 Reply Likes
Although it is another software the flexlogger has a nice recording and play back capability that works very well.
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 438 Posts
  • 205 Reply Likes
Yes, for those who haven't taken a look at Flexlogger, you really should. Besides everything Mark has done so far, the audio features are a highlight. Easy as clicking on the audio tab, clicking a button to record a QSO or from mic. Click of of button to play locally on your computer or through the radio. Rename files with a button click.

For anyone wanting to record QSOs and audio bits for contests, this is what the doctor ordered.
Photo of W1MSG

W1MSG

• 56 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
What the Doctor should have ordered is a similar capability that was available with PowerSDR. While the Signature series and SmartSDR is a step forward, its two steps back in features. I dont use Windows, so Flexlogger is not an option. 
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 438 Posts
  • 205 Reply Likes
May not be an option for you but as I was just trying to point out from posts of the past, the answer to recording multiple audio was not going to be solved within SmartSDR because of the reasons explained before. If memory serves me correct, the recording is saved within the radio internally and not on the PC. It would create serious security issues if FRS were to allow a PC to access files within the radio. So I think it is safe for me to assume they will never allow that to happen so hence the easy 3rd party solution.

Use of other software such as Audacity was commonly suggested. I was simply pointing out Flexlogger great simplifies this task. I guess I should have said, "For the vast majority who use windows, this is what the doctor ordered".
(Edited)
Photo of W1MSG

W1MSG

• 56 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
I hear ya Mike, However I have done a lot of testing and my Audacity recordings are not as good as the internal flex recordings. So I guess I can save $199 for now ..
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 108 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Rome wasn't built in a day or two .. nor have we had SSDR for a very long time. Flex need to make decissions on what to add based on both a long term business plan, as well as customer requests. Give e'm a break, we still have so much more of functions, features, nice to have, than any other radio I have had at least. If anything is asked for that is wanted by many, fits within Flex long term plan, then I'm pretty sure it will be there someday.
(Edited)
Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 128 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Hey Flexers!

I would like to thank everyone for the amazing feedback! I know it can be frustrating that there are features that we have not been able to get to yet but I assure you we really appreciate the input we get from you. Please keep it coming.

We will always continue to improve our software! This is the great thing about a FlexRadio is that it will continue to get better.

Our small but mighty team will continue to work to advance the radio art!

Thank you for all of your support.
Photo of W1MSG

W1MSG

• 56 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Matt people have been asking about the recordings for years. 
Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 128 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Thanks for the note! There are many things that people have been asking for for a long time. :) We are excited to do more of them in the future. 2019, here we come!
Photo of Burt Fisher

Burt Fisher

• 1192 Posts
  • 456 Reply Likes
Do you implement features that are easy to implement over features that the AVERAGE hams asks for? What governs what feature you will produce?
Do you think 4 months is a reasonable to wait to fix the voice recorder?
Photo of W1MSG

W1MSG

• 56 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes
Burt its been 5 years. The first request was made 5 years ago and many many times since then .. 
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 730 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Everything that people are asking for is in the future. How about us hams that are not into contesting and don't need 2 operators on a radio. Even though it is nice for contesting it is not for me as I'm not a contester.

Once again . . . How about noise mitigation that works. Icom,Yaesu,Kenwood even the Flex 3000 had noise mitigation that works. It is garbage on the 6000 series. Voice recorder that works?? Instead you come out with another "first" multiFLEX and don't touch the bugs.

So now everyone can start bashing me and tell me how wrong I am.
Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 128 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Steve, all of your comments and requests are completely reasonable. Please don't hesitate to share your input and desires with us. We may not be able to deliver on everything but it is important for us to receive the feedback. Thanks for your great support!
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3689 Posts
  • 1544 Reply Likes
@Burt

In my experience with product development you first build the features that will bring in the most revenue the quickest as you have to be able to make payroll,

Then you fix the easy ones so you can make a lot of people happy,

Then you do with the tough ones as they take a long time and typically do not enhance revenue that much or make that many people happy.

V3. Multi-Client has been by far the most asked for feature by the Flex Customer Base. 

I personally do not feel that Flex Users are Average but rather they are exceptional people with forward looking views of the world.

4 Months.. its software.. it always takes longer to fix than anyone ever guesses it will..

Plus it is likely that it has not been elevated by the customer base for immediate repair as they wanted a lot of other things fixed or new features added before that. 
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 730 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
You receive the feedback but that is as far as it goes
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes
I hope we can see some new YouTube videos of V3 soon from FRS.
(Edited)
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 108 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Hi Matt

I can understand if you like to save the goodies for Orlando ;)  But just a short video would be marvelous to see. I'm sure it will put some "stressreleif" on you and Flexradio and ease some of the pressure from us all courious and "eager to see" on the community. 
Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 128 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Hi Johan, Thanks so much for the tip! We have already begun the process. We are waiting on a few final revisions to the user interface before we shoot the video. We will share the video as soon as we have it completed.
Photo of Johan / SE3X

Johan / SE3X

• 108 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
Matt,  anyone told you that you are among the best? non mentioned and non forgotten!
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes

As far as the new “TX/MIC Profile changes saved on the fly” feature can you disable that feature and save manually like prior versions?

Am I missing something?
(Edited)
Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 128 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
There is not an on/off on this function. You can easily generate new profiles based on existing ones if you would like.
Photo of K5ROX

K5ROX

• 114 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
did you say and on/off switch for squelch?
Photo of KC2QMA_John

KC2QMA_John

• 636 Posts
  • 237 Reply Likes

OK I'm sure I will adapt to the new configuration.

Any changes to Diversity functions?

Thanks

(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3692 Posts
  • 1548 Reply Likes
Sort of......

On V3 I can receive on my radio and a second radio located elsewhere at the same time... I have a friend about 30 miles away with similar antennas and 6700... it will give us true wide area diversity receive.. especially since he is East of the mountains and I am to the West

For those without friends to share their radios, or are unwilling to share they will miss out on this really great feature.
(Edited)
Photo of Jim  KJ7S

Jim KJ7S

• 169 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes
Here's my 2 bits:
     If you are in Cledisville BFE, and your YL is at the house, and you both need to use the same equipment to get checked in to a net, or for some (heaven forbid) emergency relying on your expertise, I can certainly see a 'Need" for a MultiFlex experience. While you are at it, Get the algorithms on the Noise Blankers, etc Working so you can once again Blow Our Minds!
Jim
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 193 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Great news to see multi-client get announced! Before I order a Maestro, just checking that Maestro and SSDR can see the same pans and slices? Let's say I have a pan open on 20M with slice A and B. Can I see and tune the same pan and slices on SSDR and the Maestro?
Photo of Michael Walker

Michael Walker, Employee

• 663 Posts
  • 194 Reply Likes
Yes, but not the way you think.

You can watch A and B on the Maestro or M model and then C and D on SmartSDR.  You can then have C and D turned to the same frequencies as A and B.

Mike
Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 128 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Asher, the two clients act independently as if it is two different radios. Therefore, tuning a receiver on one will not tune the other. It is a neat idea for us to look at in the future though. Thanks!
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 193 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Thanks for the quick response.

So I can't use the Maestro tuning knobs like a FlexControl to tune slices on SSDR.

That's too bad. It's hard to see how I'd integrate key, audio and logging (which only understands slice A/B) in the scenario you describe. It's not a show-stopper, but it's unfortunate to use double the radio resources, and seems like bandswitching involves a lot of clicks to get everything in sync.

I guess I was hoping for Maestro in this scenario to act more like a control surface than a whole radio. Maybe in some future release.
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 193 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Matt, just curious if there's a way to map slices so loggers can understand C/D vs A/B. Also curious if there's a way to lock a slice to a pan - so pan 1 on client 1 gets A/B (even if B's not up). and pan 2 on client 2 gets C/D (remapped to A/B for the logger)
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 366 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Right now, with v2, you can have a separate control device while SSDR (or a Maestro or M front panel for that matter) is controlling the radio. SSDR for iOS will operate in two modes: GUI or remote control.

While I have dpSDR or the front panel or SSDR on a Windows laptop controlling my 6600M, I can connect with the iPad and "spin the dial" using my BT knob and control many aspects of the radio using the iOS remote control capability.
Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 128 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Great question. Each client gets an A/B. So, if you have SSDR open and Maestro running, each will have an A/B. This is what the logger will be looking for.

Does that answer your question?
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 193 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
I can hardly wait to RTFM. Michael mentioned slice C/D so I just assumed, but glad to hear you're dealing with the logger A/B restriction.

So let's say I'm running with SSDR and a Maestro on my LAN. Each one presents A/B. Then I'm running DXLabs spot collector. When I double click a spot, it retunes slice A to the spot freq/mode and may open a slice B if the spot is a split. DXLabs is doing this directly through the Flex API. Is there some way to control which device DXLabs (or WSJT or N1MM+) is commanding?

Hoping you guys release some configuration diagrams soon so we can evaluate what plays with what and what a hardware/software best-practice would look like.
Photo of Asher - K0AU

Asher - K0AU

• 193 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
I can hardly wait to RTFM. Michael mentioned slice C/D so I just assumed, but glad to hear you're dealing with the logger A/B restriction.

So let's say I'm running with SSDR and a Maestro on my LAN. Each one presents A/B. Then I'm running DXLabs spot collector. When I double click a spot, it retunes slice A to the spot freq/mode and may open a slice B if the spot is a split. DXLabs is doing this directly through the Flex API. Is there some way to control which device DXLabs (or WSJT or N1MM+) is commanding?

Hoping you guys release some configuration diagrams soon so we can evaluate what plays with what and what a hardware/software best-practice would look like.
Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 128 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
The way multiFLEX is designed is that DAX and CAT will be tied to a specific "Station". In your scenario the two stations would SSDR and Maestro of which the instance of DAX and CAT would be tied to one of those. This means that it would either be controlling SSDR OR Maestro but not both.

The thought process of this design is that you may have two different operators controlling the same radio. Each of which needs their own logger connected to the radio. This would allow you to have DAX and CAT loaded on two different PCs to connect to a local logger (or digital mode program etc).

Does that help?
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 179 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
This is a follow up to WW1SS comments above.

V3 is exciting news, for some, maybe for many.  I have one radio, 6400, one antenna, and though never is pretty final, I must say it is extremely unlikely the setup will change to "remote-multi-whatever." Maybe another antenna once the ice melts. I'm sure V3 will be great for those ops who need the new features. Congrats! 

Stupid question, but, where is the requested feature list?  Is there a status, what has been implemented, what might be, and the never will be?

I guess V3 is the result of great demand on the list. Okay.  Some minors hit V2.4.9, S-meter, colors, pop outs(?), etc. 

Since V3 seems of little use to my setup, based on info released, what is the next "new thing" for the non multi-multi-multi/non remote from lunar base folks who hope for something exciting from Flex? I mean, other than necessary global bug fixes.

Or, has Flex run the 6400 hardware to the point of diminishing return (FPGA maxed?), except for perhaps multi-remote from Mars base. V2.5 seems like a someday proposition - and generally bug fixes.

I know, blah, blah, blah V2.5 won't sell radios, V3 will.  I get it, don't holler at me.

What say Matt?

Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 128 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Hi Lionel,

Thanks so much for the note and the great ideas. We do not currently have an external facing list that is in an organized state as you have suggested. It is something we should consider though.

There will always be more "New Things" on the horizon. We have no shortage of ideas to implement. There is still lots that we can do with the resources in the hardware so no concern there.

Kevin N4TT, Elroy

• 924 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
???????
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1806 Posts
  • 641 Reply Likes
Hi Lionel,
The internal list of ideas is not currently shared but you can see the list of ideas that have been submitted by the users.  And the list can be ordered by votes or popularity.  Here are the steps:

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3514 Posts
  • 838 Reply Likes
But V3 is not all finished yet? there will likely be 4+ up dates to v3 coming. For some of us v3 is not very useful yet.
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 179 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Thanks Al.  I appreciate the info.
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 179 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
Okay, I have the list sorted but frankly it will take some time to go through and find the ideas that might be relevant.  Nevertheless, it is something more than otherwise available. 
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3514 Posts
  • 838 Reply Likes
There are better than a 1000 of them lol
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1806 Posts
  • 641 Reply Likes
Lionel,
One more consideration, some of them have been implemented but they are not always updated with the status.   On the plus side you can see which ones are most popular by votes, the list trails off rather rapidly once you get down to the ones with less than 10 votes.  

You can also see that even some of the most popular ideas have been on the list for 4 or 5 years...

Regards,  Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3514 Posts
  • 838 Reply Likes
Gerald said that in meetings he brings up features he want's and gets out voted, so they don't happen. If that happens to him. It seems resonable many of the votes we put in never happen as well.

Kevin N4TT, Elroy

• 924 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
Or the people voting should be shown the door and more representative voting should be instituted. Ya. That's not happening. Actually, maybe they need more of a dictator than a nice guy.

This is all old frustrations that never get a good answer. This board has a wish list but that's probably not the list that Flex uses. 

Flex chooses to hide their feature and bug list over some incident that apparently occurred years ago. So we create our own here and think there's an obligation for Flex to follow it. I haven't seen that. I see longstanding requests for features and bugs and then an obscure feature with limited use released as a new major (v3). 

Then we have ALPHA teams (as in testers or big dogs I don't know) that apparently represent us? As much as the ALPHA team demands that this new multi feature without mirroring is for the good of all, I am very far from convinced. And the ALPHA team pays for the product they are testing? What's up with that? 

The reason this same topic comes up almost quarterly for years is that there's a fundamental problem with how Flex views customers. If I hear another person say "I'll buy it just to support Flex!!!" I'll gag.

Old frustrations. In the mean time, I'm loving my new 6700 and Maestro and probably need to stay away from the forums for a while again.

Kev K4VD
Photo of K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 250 Posts
  • 101 Reply Likes
Matt - How about Flex conducts a simple public forum poll -

What kind of (FRS owner/potential owner) radio operator are you -

1. Serious contester
2. Casual contester/dx chaser/ragchewer
3. Dx chaser
4. Ragchewer
5. ESSB aficionado

I bet the results would surprise you.  

I could be wrong, but I get the impression FRS has been blurred by the idea that there may be significant revenue from the serious contesting crowd.  Meanwhile, they have forgotten who their "bread and butter" customers are - those who helped get FRS to where they are today.   The ESSB buffs, serious ragchewers, and technically inclined, all who appreciate some of the things we came to love in the original PowerSDR arena.

Meanwhile, those of use who helped support Flex into their new venture of SmartSDR (by purchasing a non-mature platform) have been left with broken promises, and continue to wait for simple features that were mature in PowerSDR.  While not in writing, many of us were verbally fed a bag of goods from FRS' sales and marketing team to get us off the fence and pull the trigger on a 6300/6500/6700, as far back as late 2014.  Fast forward 4+ years, and we are still waiting for some of these basic functions. 

FRS should pay closer attention to NN4ZZ's polls and postings.  Heck, he has done a portion of your marketing research for you, free of charge!  I have a hard time believing the contest market is as lucrative as you may think.  While K9CT may have fully endorsed FRS for his station, other well respected contesters like K3LR have not.  Until we see more well-know contest stations adopt the FRS platform, maybe your team should consider re-aligning your market focus.

Looking back over the past 4-5 years, maybe FRS should have stuck with making
world class hardware, and left the software to the open source community. I think FRS would have been better off in the long run. More profitability on quality hardware, without the cost and stress of software development. And most likely it would have been much further along by now.  Instead we have the Betamax (Flex) and VHS (OpenHPSDR/Anan) of SDR!  Granted, Beta was a better format, but look how that licensing scenario worked out in the end!

Eric
K2CB
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 444 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
6. anti-contester!

Kevin N4TT, Elroy

• 924 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
2. I think. Maybe with more emphasis on the rag chewing. 

I'd like to say I have some fun just tying new things that appeal to me and Flex sometimes supports that habit. It's probably why I have so many unused gadgets laying around the house as giveaways for guests. My radio went unused for almost a year after v2 was released. Couldn't afford a new radio and nothing interesting with the radio that was supposed to grow with me.

It feels weird to have to shut down SSDR to turn on Maestro. V3's solution to let both remain on but independent only? Seems half baked from a #2 perspective.

Once something is routine or just good enough I'll probably lose interest and move on again.

Isn't there a way to create an actual poll with this forum software?

Kev.
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
I made a poll:  https://www.strawpoll.me/17332956

:-)

Edit: I think v3 will be great, and I'm not a contester at all.  Looking forward to it.

Edit #2: Any poll here will only be representative of who reads this thread in this post and decides to click on the link and vote. So the results probably wouldn't be representative of all flex owners anyway.
(Edited)
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1806 Posts
  • 641 Reply Likes
Hi Robbie,
I just created a poll too,  inspired by Eric's comments but with many expanded choices.

https://groups.io/g/FlexRadioSmartSDR/topic/what_kind_of_frs_owner/29597103?p=,,,50,0,0,0::recentpos...

Snapshot showing choices and "non-scientific notice."

Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
Win10
(Edited)
Photo of Robbie - KI4TTZ

Robbie - KI4TTZ

• 484 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Thanks Al! Your poll is much better than the one I made. <grin> Voted.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1806 Posts
  • 641 Reply Likes
I don't think it is a feature of the GetSat communities to offer polls so hopefully folks will find ours interesting.  And as you noted, they are not scientific but still interesting.  I voted in yours too,

Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
6700 & SSDR-W  V 2.4.9
Win10
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 179 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
In looking at the poll results, a very small sample size for now, it appears serious, big time radio contesting is not dominant.  In fact nothing appears to dominate the results though more responses may change results.  I suspect use results of a larger sample size would be evenly distributed - no material peak at multi-remote multiple clients from lunar base. We're a pretty diverse market in terms of preferences, I do believe.

Anyway, a poll on this forum will be skewed by those interested enough to spend time and energy helping each other and trying to send a message to Flex.  Outside of this group no one knows. This applies to the current polling as well as to prior votes for new features. A few users care relative to many who don't.

It has nothing to do with price for me.  If V3 offered something that mattered to my casual operating style I'd preorder and pay today.

Profiles are an example, I use a few and rarely change.  Power settings per band don't matter - always 100W. No amps to drive.  Always ANT1.  There is no need here to network the radio, remote operation is just not my cup of tea.  
Photo of N5LB - Lionel B

N5LB - Lionel B

• 181 Posts
  • 52 Reply Likes
Thanks Matt,

This "on the horizon" topic has been flogged rather seriously in the past.  I've been a ham for 53 years and I suspect my view of the approaching horizon is a bit different than yours. 

I just wish y'all would take a few minutes in a staff or engineering meeting to gin up a more useful answer than "on the horizon."  Don't misunderstand, I really like my 6400 and Flex is very good company.  As a loyal user and  follower I do feel we deserve a bit more information.   I reckon I'm feeling a tad frustrated after reading the V3 announcement with great expectations followed by let down.

I suspect there are more ops like me than Flex may realize and we too would like to experience a bit of the "new things" excitement.

Is there anything at all in V3 for us non remote/multi users?  I think its not finished, right? Not at RTM.  Maybe there is something.  I would hope.

Just crazy thoughts Matt.

Now I'll go away.
Photo of Matt - KD5FGE

Matt - KD5FGE, Employee

• 128 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
QSL 59. 

We hear you loud and clear. Thanks again for the feedback. We are always trying to grow and improve. 
Photo of WV9L

WV9L

• 102 Posts
  • 16 Reply Likes
So if i read right, unless you own a dual SCU model radio, the V3 upgrade is worthless? Why have 2 people in remote locations fighting over a single SCU?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3688 Posts
  • 1541 Reply Likes
Not exactly. They can share the same SCU as long as they are listening within the range of the scu. 14MHz in a 6500, 7MHz in a 6300
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4138 Posts
  • 1317 Reply Likes
A single SCU can receive many different frequencies at the same time. I have a 6500 with only one SCU and with my LP Antenna I can listen to four bands from 20 to 6 Meters at the same time.

While a dual SCU rig would be more flexible, I wouldn’t call it worthless on a single SCU rig. One user could use two slices and the other user could get the other two slices.
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 141 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
I and a couple other Flex owners would like to know if the DAX drivers and WIN-10 issue been fixed in V3? If not, we'll probably wait for a version that resolves the issue.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3689 Posts
  • 1544 Reply Likes
Obviously use W7 like I do and there are no DAX problem.

The issue is with MS and it’s constant update s to W10 which tends to screw up all sortsof drivers not just DAX
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 141 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
I understand WIN7 works fine because I downgraded to WIN7 from win10 for the home rig,. However, I am not keen on purchasing another laptop just to blow the OS and downgrade to WIN7 just so it will work with SmartSDR.  

The fact is, ALL my other software DOES work with WIN10. As a programmer myself, I find it HIGHLY unusual to have a few (of the same) drivers blow out and the rest not. I've been doing this stuff since punch cards and machine language and long before Microsoft even existed.  I'm not buying it. 

Regardless, I love my FlexRadio and wouldn't change for anything and will certainly buy another in the future. Friends don't let friends buy non-FlexRadios!

I just would like to see this DAX driver issue fixed so I can quit wasting my time dealing with it. I already carry too many computers with me when I travel.
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1292 Posts
  • 276 Reply Likes
Virtual Audio Cable has the same problem with Windows 10 upgrades. Dax is not the only driver affected.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3689 Posts
  • 1544 Reply Likes
@Dave Gibson

Built my first computer in 1958., so I have likely been into computers longer than you. I have several products with drivers that were regularly hosed by W10 updates. Until I went back to W7 on all my computers.

You are probably right that a major redesign is likely needed to refactor DAX so it’s not so easily targeted by MS W10 updates. That said, it’s a matter of allocating limited programming resources for the best return on investment.
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 306 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
Instead of dumping Windows 10, I wired audio directly from tha Flex to a seperate USB sound card & removed DAX. That was two years ago & I haven't had a problem with windows updates since.
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 141 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
@Howard. Yep. You've been at it longer than I . :)  I fully understand the complexity of design and manufacturing since my "former" background was designing computerized test equipment for military, anti-jam, frequency hopping radios. A combination of RF and computers. Seemed the solution was always "just one line of code away!" 

Life is simpler now with different challenges eased by the joys of Ham radio and FlexRadio. :)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3689 Posts
  • 1544 Reply Likes
@Dave. My world started with trying to use computer to control traffic lights then later to track and control public transit vehicles Our issues were first that much of the hardware we needed had yet to be invented so we have to do it and the primitive programming tools which made it difficult to get to that next line of code.

Things seem much easier now and on the other hand much more complex
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 141 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
I remember a Motorola Processor chip. It was a single bit machine,  MC14500. An odd one to be sure. I understood it to have been created for street lighting systems.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3689 Posts
  • 1544 Reply Likes
That  part was pretty new stuff..

Nostalgia....I physically took delivery of the first ever prototype Intel 8008 Development parts and programming machine at Intel's then rather small factory and drove it 3000 miles back to my lab because it was so rare and expensive that we could not trust it to air cargo. We used that chipset in City Buses around the world to track their location years before GPS.  Dumb me.. I should have bought Intel stock then....Interestingly we patented the system as the Transit Universal Micro Processor or TRUMP because it sounded cool not because we had ever heard of the current resident of the WH. (Not intended to be political in any way)
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 444 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
That's a funny story. Everyone seems to have taken possession of the 'first' Intel 8008. I was a new engineer at a Research Lab for the government (spy stuff) just down the street from Intel. We received the 'first' 8008 processor for a hush-hush project to intercept Russian rocket telemetry. I designed the receiver and our digital department was to design the control interface and data delivery using the 8008. One night I was working very late and couldn't find my favorite Tektronix oscilloscope in our RF lab, so I borrowed one from the Digital Lab. Indeed, it was being used to troubleshoot the digital design section. The next day I came to work and was immediately ushered into the Engineering Director's office. Someone had destroyed the 8008 prototype, and all fingers pointed to me because I had stolen the oscilloscope from their lab the previous night. So, for a few hours I was villain #1 in the eyes of the electronic surveillance/countermeasures group. Thankfully, one of the digital designers admitted later to errantly connecting power supplies that morning and sensing something was very, very wrong.

We were TRUMPED  ...
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3689 Posts
  • 1544 Reply Likes
Cute Story  Now back to Flex Radios and the fact that you can actually use V3 on a 1 SCU radio with two operators albeit if they are both quite wide apart you would lose the receive bandpass filters
Photo of Bob - W7KWS -

Bob - W7KWS -

• 306 Posts
  • 49 Reply Likes
FEDEX delivered my Intel 4004 development system at Harris RF Communications around 1974. My first design (and patent) tracked ships on the Great Lakes.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3689 Posts
  • 1544 Reply Likes
I picked up the sample 8008 in the summer of 1972 and even stopped at the Findlay Ohio Hamfest on the drive back.
Photo of Jason Frazier

Jason Frazier

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
New to the party here.  There is much mention of multiflex remote usage in V3.  Will I be able to take a Maestro on the road and use it remotely, without the need for external VPN tools?
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1292 Posts
  • 276 Reply Likes
For most connections, yes. The Maestro establishes the connection to the SmartLink servers and the radio.

Some cellular hotspots may not properly pass the necessary ports. I use my Samsung Galaxy S9 on AT&T as a hotspot and it works fine with the Maestro.

Dave wo2x