FlexRadio Systems Announces New Models to the FLEX-6000 Line

• Announcement
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
FLEX-6400/FLEX-6400M and FLEX-6600/FLEX-6600M provide operators with new innovation options to FlexRadio’s leading SDR platform FlexRadio Systems announced today the edition of 4 new models to the FLEX-6000 Series of HF amateur radio transceivers. The FLEX-6400 adds chart-topping receiver dynamic performance, integrated preselectors, and options for both continuous coverage (MARS/CAP/SHARES) at a competitive price point. FLEX-6600 includes all this plus two spectral capture units (SCU), SO2R capability in a single radio, enhanced preselectors and dual transverter ports. Companion units, the FLEX-6400M and FLEX-6600M combine all of these capabilities with a fully integrated hardware front panel to provide unparalleled levels of user-friendly ergonomics.

High-performance SDR radio has never been this good or easy to use.Continuous Feature Enhancement and Knobs...It doesn’t get any better than this!!In keeping with Flex Radio’s continuous performance and feature improvements through its SmartSDR Software and Maestro Control Head’s High-Definition touch display and intuitive control placement, the new 6400M and 6600M Flex models marry these together for a fully integrated radio that is truly greater than the sum of its parts. These models allow for stand-alone operation for single station operation without the need for a computer. They can also be easily operated remotely with Flex’s new SmartLink software. FlexRadio has paved the way in SDR technology for the amateur community and the new FLEX-6400/6400M and the FLEX-6600/FLEX-6600M models continue to advance the state-of-the-art and provide products with the features that amateurs around the world request and use to competitive advantage. FlexRadio Systems will be demonstrating these new additions to their product line at the upcoming Hamvention to be held in Xenia, Ohio, May 19-21, 2017.

All models incorporate FlexRadio’s industry leading software, SmartSDR, and all units will ship with the latest version release when available. Units are expected to start shipping in the August timeframe.

The FLEX-6400 models start at $1999 US and the FLEX-6600 models start at $3999
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9178 Posts
  • 3525 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 252 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
Hey FRS - no more love for the ESSB crowd, that which (in no small part) helped FRS get to where it is today?

No more balanced tx audio input?

1/8" TRS input? Heck, my ANAN already has that! They even improved the mic connectivity on their new 8000.

A big disappointment!

Eric

K2CB
(Edited)
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 825 Posts
  • 1504 Reply Likes
The TRS input is pseudo balanced, which means it is balanced to the input pins of the ADC converter but it can also be used with mic bias for electrets. Wire mic plus to tip, mic minus to ring and shield to shield.
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4166 Posts
  • 1329 Reply Likes
Thanks, Gerald. Even though I prefer XLR, this will make it easier and cheaper to wire up a variety of adapters.
(Edited)
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 179 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
Doesn't the 6400 replace the 6300, which is FRS's current entry level product, which does not have balanced XLR input today?

However, I assume the 6600M will maintain the balanced audio XLR input currently found on today's 6500 product.

As Bill O'Reilly would say, "Where am I going wrong here?"

Br,
Larry
WA7LZO
Photo of K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 252 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
The rear panel pictured for the 6600/M doe NOT show anything resembling a balanced input.
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 179 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
I think those are just drawings/PC generated. I have not yet seen a real photo, so we'll have to ask Tim for a solid answer on this.

Personally, I doubt the 6300 replacement (6400) will have XLR, but by the same token, I'd be surprised if they dropped XLR from the 6600M.

Anyways, no worries, 'cuz if all else fails, get yourself a nice Yaesu M-1 mic, and plug her in.

Try it, you'll like it!
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4166 Posts
  • 1329 Reply Likes
Mic input is via a 1/8 inch TRS (mini-headphone jack). Think of it as a miniature version of the 1/4 inch balanced input. I am not clear yet whether it is a "true" balanced input like on the 6500 & 6700 or if it is a "pseudo balanced" input like the front panel of the rigs (mic+, mic-, and shield).
But I got the impression it will be wired similarly to the 1/4 inch TRS balanced.

Perhaps someone from FRS will fill us in whenever (if ever?) they get a free moment during the 'fest.

Ken - NM9P
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 825 Posts
  • 1504 Reply Likes
See my answer above regarding TRS balanced wiring.
Photo of WW1SS - Steve

WW1SS - Steve

• 730 Posts
  • 247 Reply Likes
The description on their web site says that that the 6600m is $3995. If you click on the 6400m it gives the price of the 6600m at $3995. What is the right pricing on these???
Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4166 Posts
  • 1329 Reply Likes
6400 is $1999 (ATU optional)
6400M is $2999 (ATU optional)
6600 is $3999
6600M is $4999
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 825 Posts
  • 1504 Reply Likes
There was a problem with the website that should be fixed now.
Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 288 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
So are the prices that were on the Flex site still correct as listed above?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.