FlexRadio Systems Announces New Models to the FLEX-6000 Line

• Announcement
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • (Edited)
FLEX-6400/FLEX-6400M and FLEX-6600/FLEX-6600M provide operators with new innovation options to FlexRadio’s leading SDR platform FlexRadio Systems announced today the edition of 4 new models to the FLEX-6000 Series of HF amateur radio transceivers. The FLEX-6400 adds chart-topping receiver dynamic performance, integrated preselectors, and options for both continuous coverage (MARS/CAP/SHARES) at a competitive price point. FLEX-6600 includes all this plus two spectral capture units (SCU), SO2R capability in a single radio, enhanced preselectors and dual transverter ports. Companion units, the FLEX-6400M and FLEX-6600M combine all of these capabilities with a fully integrated hardware front panel to provide unparalleled levels of user-friendly ergonomics.

High-performance SDR radio has never been this good or easy to use.Continuous Feature Enhancement and Knobs...It doesn’t get any better than this!!In keeping with Flex Radio’s continuous performance and feature improvements through its SmartSDR Software and Maestro Control Head’s High-Definition touch display and intuitive control placement, the new 6400M and 6600M Flex models marry these together for a fully integrated radio that is truly greater than the sum of its parts. These models allow for stand-alone operation for single station operation without the need for a computer. They can also be easily operated remotely with Flex’s new SmartLink software. FlexRadio has paved the way in SDR technology for the amateur community and the new FLEX-6400/6400M and the FLEX-6600/FLEX-6600M models continue to advance the state-of-the-art and provide products with the features that amateurs around the world request and use to competitive advantage. FlexRadio Systems will be demonstrating these new additions to their product line at the upcoming Hamvention to be held in Xenia, Ohio, May 19-21, 2017.

All models incorporate FlexRadio’s industry leading software, SmartSDR, and all units will ship with the latest version release when available. Units are expected to start shipping in the August timeframe.

The FLEX-6400 models start at $1999 US and the FLEX-6600 models start at $3999
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9198 Posts
  • 3558 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 162 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
Well. This is a dilemma. After waiting beyond the expected delivery date for my 6500, I now find that the radio I haven't received is being replaced by a newer model but I have to wait until August for it.... if I'm lucky? Someone please tell me a good reason to accept delivery of the 6500 when it ships. I honestly would like to accept it but I don't want to be stupid in the process.
Photo of David Decoons wo2x

David Decoons wo2x, Elmer

• 1465 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes
Dave G - Do a comparison of the 6500 and 6600 and then contact Flex next week if you want to change your order. Matt will work with you.
Photo of Rory - N6OIL

Rory - N6OIL

• 301 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
Just get an IC-718 and all your problems will be solved! I'm happy with my year old 6500 no GPSDO, someday I'll add that option. But like I said in another post that the Flex radio line is upgradeable just with software hence the name software defined.
Photo of Arnie

Arnie

• 108 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Don't hold your breath for an August delivery either. Flex, though they make a good product, has yet to meet a delivery deadline. Maybe August is realistic, though....August 2018, that is.
Go ahead Flex...surprise us!
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 543 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
Hey Arnie your negativeness (fake news) will not discourage the rest of us from enjoying today's good news. Dave, you can always cancel your current order and reorder the 6500 now $1200 cheaper as it's on sale, or you can order the 6600. You have good options.
Photo of Arnie

Arnie

• 108 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Dave...I am not being negative. Just being accurate, which has no sign, positive or negative. It just is what it is.
(Edited)
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1678 Posts
  • 614 Reply Likes
Unless you are wed to the idea of a front panel with knobs, no reason not to accept the 6500. Sounds like the 6600 will be the same great rig in a different size to allow for an integrated Maestro. Well, with the second SCU. Which may or may not be a selling point depending on how you operate.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 162 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
I considered the Maestro and decided I didn't want it since my laptop is wireless if I want it to be. Good point. I would like to see a comparison chart of the whole series now.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
the 6600 will have 2 SCU and Contest Grade Filters for SO2R without an external box - and is supposed to have better receive specs than the 6500
Photo of Paul Bradbeer

Paul Bradbeer

• 170 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Yes, but it's not 'the same great rig' George.  It sounds like it's better.  I think Dave has had a lucky escape (could have bought his 6500 a few months earlier) and now has options...which is a good place to be....
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 162 Posts
  • 48 Reply Likes
OK.. I checked it out, called and cancelled the 6500, and have a 6600 reserved now. Looks like deliveries start in August. It make zero sense to buy a 6500 now unless you absolutely MUST have the radio right away... it right away is even possible. Looks to me like the 6600 has better specs in most places. I will now pull up my chair to stare out the window watching for the Fed-Ex man to bring me my new radio. August seems so far away.
Photo of George Molnar, KF2T

George Molnar, KF2T, Elmer

• 1678 Posts
  • 614 Reply Likes
Well, thanks, everybody. Now I'm seriously considering trading up from 6500 to 6600. Don't tell my wife, please. Maybe she won't notice the change?

PS - are those really mini jacks on the rear for key, phones, and mic? Front panel headset is a very nice feature I hope can be retained. Headset/mic for DX/contest, XLR desk Mike to back for casual phone?
(Edited)
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
We will have to see prices for the 6600M, but my 6700 with the Maestro seems overpriced now vs the 6600M. With 2 scu and 2 xvtr ports it can do what I can't do with the 6700. I would like to know if there is something in the 6700 that makes it "better" beside the extra 4 receivers....

As per Dave's question... If you don't want the knobs getting the 6600 makes more sense, is better and cheaper. (at least on paper)
Photo of Dave Gipson

Dave Gipson

• 152 Posts
  • 47 Reply Likes
It sounds like the 6600 is a better radio for the same or less cost than the 6500. Perhaps I was done a favor  by the radio not shipping yet. I'm leaning toward changing the order to the 6600 instead if the cost is anywhere close to the same. I'll find out tomorrow.
:)
Photo of Rev. David E. Hamm, K4EET

Rev. David E. Hamm, K4EET

• 83 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
The FLEX-6400 models start at $1999 US and the FLEX-6600 models start at $3999.
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 766 Posts
  • 138 Reply Likes
it looks like they glued a Maestro to the front. I like the Maestro as a separate unit.

• 1401 Posts
  • 306 Reply Likes

You can use a Maestro with the 6400/6400M. So on the 6400M & Maestro combo you would have local control from the front of the radio and a remote unit.

Only one can use the radio at a time at this point. (single client connectivity)

Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 352 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
I understand why they had to do it (Icom) however certainly lowers the resale value of a 6300/6500 and have to say the M version will not win a beauty contest. Competition has a way of changing things.
Photo of EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

EA4GLI - 8P9EH - Salvador

• 1782 Posts
  • 547 Reply Likes
I had a similar first reaction. As a matter of fact I thought I was seeing a photoshoped picture instead of the actual product. :)
Photo of Ross - K9COX

Ross - K9COX

• 352 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
And I as well
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1515 Reply Likes
The image in the brochure is not the final version of the packaging, which will be shown at the show today. We had to print brochures before we had final packaging.
Photo of N3NER

N3NER

• 186 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I would love to see the final product, I may put an order in for a 6400M.. 
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3784 Posts
  • 1637 Reply Likes

Flex will accept trade ins of 6300, 6500, 6700 as well as IC-7300, IC-7610 and K3S

This way you can get the best, most modern and up to date radio without a lot of pain.

Photo of IW7DMH, Enzo

IW7DMH, Enzo

• 356 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
Well, the point now is exactly this: will be there any trade-in/trade-out programs? Will be they world-wide, like in the Elecraft policy?
While I am happy every time I can get technological innovations I could be a bit disappointed if it means I have to start from scratch to have that technology.
Mostly if one consider the 6300 is only a three years old rig.
Photo of SteveM

SteveM

• 273 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes

Huh. I thought for sure they would have made the Maestro detachable. I suppose its easier said than done, but I don't think tethering through a high speed serial interface (GigE or USB) would be too tough to accomplish.

Are these units are rackable?

Photo of Steve Jones

Steve Jones

• 104 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
The value of my 6300 is now going to be less and with two scu and two tvtr ports it looks like keeping my 6300 for multi two contest use or. Portable use and buying a 6600 rather than the 6700 for main so2r use and vhf tvtr use is the way to go for me. Unless the current 6700 in stock are going to be discounted down by dealers? I need to read the specs to see if the 6600 has any better components/performance over the 6700.
No word on the so2r box for existing 6300 and 6500 owners then? Or a fix for the ssdr hang issue?
Photo of Ryan - NC4RA

Ryan - NC4RA

• 46 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I don't see a mic connector on the front or a xlr connector on the rear panel. I really enjoy having two connectors on my 6500. Headset connected to the front and boom mic connected to the rear.
Photo of Rev. David E. Hamm, K4EET

Rev. David E. Hamm, K4EET

• 83 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
I wonder what a 6500 trade-in would bring to get a 6600? What would be the approximate cost delta? (Edit: The FLEX-6400 models start at $1999 US and the FLEX-6600 models start at $3999.)
(Edited)
Photo of km9r.mike

km9r.mike

• 425 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
I predict the 6600 and 6600m are gonna be big sellers plus they do not need a separate control to combat ovf in high power SO2R environments. Cudos FRS.
Photo of Gust ON6KE

Gust ON6KE

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Flex will do trade-ins but only in the USA. Again non-US is left in the desert. I bought a 6300 3 months ago, I wish I did not buy it.
Photo of Varistor

Varistor

• 334 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
The 6600 is twice the price of the 6400. For those that are after SO2R, at this price point, they are better off with 2x6400 that can be reconfigured as either SO2R or M/S. Flexibility in a contest station is key.
Photo of Steve Gw0gei

Steve Gw0gei

• 193 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Good point. I am likely to keep my 6300 and add a 6600 as my future contesting roadmap includes multi single and multi two tx entries and not just so2r single op assisted. Need the ssdr crash issue sorted first though before I lay out my cash. No news on the ssdr release front?
Photo of Steve Gw0gei

Steve Gw0gei

• 193 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Good point. I am likely to keep my 6300 and add a 6600 as my future contesting roadmap includes multi single and multi two tx entries and not just so2r single op assisted. Need the ssdr crash issue sorted first though before I lay out my cash. No news on the ssdr release front?
Photo of Gerald - K5SDR

Gerald - K5SDR, Employee

• 830 Posts
  • 1514 Reply Likes
Remember that unlike legacy radios, SmartSDR IS the radio. That means that your existing FLEX6000 can take advantage of future software enhancements just like the new models. Every new release will support all FLEX-6000 models simultaneously within the respective hardware capabilities of the model you own.
Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 369 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
ok just got my ;-)   
Photo of Keith Ferguson

Keith Ferguson

• 24 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
There seems to be something missing from these new radios from a European point of view - if I'm reading the right specs, there's no four metre coverage, which is a huge shame!
Photo of Wim

Wim

• 107 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Photo of Reggie

Reggie

• 95 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Will the 6600/6600M have the capability to turn on and turn off the rig remotely without external boxes?

Has the boot time for the 6600/6600M been reduced?  I can turn on my IC-7300 and it is ready in less about 5 seconds.  My 6500 takes about 45 seconds before it is ready.

Reggie N3OP

• 1464 Posts
  • 310 Reply Likes

At this time there is no plans for turning on the radio via SmartLink/SmartSDR. That can change as the software matures.

I use a WeMo Maker to turn my 6700 on and off remotely from an app on iPhone, Andriod, or PC. Not a big deal Also can turn the Acom 2000A on with another WeMo Maker.

Photo of Larry Benoit

Larry Benoit

• 92 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
Congratulations to Flex for smart marketing and technical innovation -- the "Heresy" 6600M should sell well in the contest community and among those hams who insist upon tactile controls.  

Larry KB1VFU

Photo of Marc Lalonde

Marc Lalonde

• 369 Posts
  • 91 Reply Likes
This may really nice to have "detachable"  front panel  ;-)
Photo of Andrew Russell

Andrew Russell

• 278 Posts
  • 44 Reply Likes
The FlexRadio website seems to be jammed.
Andrew VK5CV
Photo of Warren Gaspar

Warren Gaspar

• 21 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Not to Rain on the Parade but - BEWARE there is a FlexRadio SCAM site setup the can high jack your browser.  The ADD to CART link installs a java script onto the system.
Photo of Jeff - AK0DX

Jeff - AK0DX

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

A new Maestro? Flex-6600 Integrated Display: 8-inch 1920x1200 IPS Display, Current Maestro: HD (WXGA 1280 x 800) display resolution.
Photo of Mike - VE3CKO

Mike - VE3CKO, Elmer

• 543 Posts
  • 280 Reply Likes
Aggressive on the price and wise on the hardware decisions, good going FRS. For those about to or in the process ordering 6300 you can now get a 6400 cheaper for those waiting for a 6500, they are on sale $1200 cheaper so you can either save that or change your order to the 6600. Either way it's win/win. The other thing to consider selling/trading for a new model is that the new model will come with v2.0 assuming it has been released by the time 6600/6400 ships. $200
Photo of K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

K2CB Eric Dobrowansky

• 256 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
Flex-6500 $1200 cheaper? Where? The site still show $3999.
Photo of Manuel Maseda

Manuel Maseda

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Looks like the 6500 OLED isn't carried over to the 6600. Probably a cost savings move.
Photo of G8ZPX

G8ZPX

• 197 Posts
  • 110 Reply Likes
Probably because it never actual did anything useful. Cost without benefit.
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 184 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
$64k question: What are the future Flex plans to take full advantage of all of the newly created dead air space, due to the now very much larger volume of the 6600M chassis, to accommodate the Maestro front panel? Power Genius XL PA integrated into this new big box, or perhaps smaller (1 kW?) internal amp? Single LDMOS PA, with smaller heat sink requirements?

Keep in mind, the existing internal tuner could be replaced with the PG Tuner, and the 100 watt PA (and its heat sink) would be supplanted by the bigger PA.

I believe there is now a lot of dead air space, unused room inside of this new much larger larger box, and I doubt it will go "wasted" for too long...

This could get exciting, folks!

Br,LarryWA7LZO
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 759 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
I'm only assuming that any of those options would only be offered in a future radio offering.  I can't imagine them offering options like that to upgrade existing hardware.  Maybe future 7000 series.
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 184 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Anyone know what the highest supported resolution is for the 6600M via HDMI connected external monitor?

• 1438 Posts
  • 309 Reply Likes
1920x1200
Photo of Larry - WA7LZO

Larry - WA7LZO

• 184 Posts
  • 45 Reply Likes
Hi, Tim!

You mentioned:

"...and options for both continuous coverage (MARS/CAP/SHARES)..."

Does this "continuous coverage" include continuous TX/RX capabilities for 1.6 thru 30 MHz continuous? 

If so, will Flex seek FCC Type Acceptance under the following CFR's:

1. Part 90: 2-way land mobile
2. Part 80: Marine
3. Part 87: Aviation

If the answer is "Yes" to any/all of the above, would this then entail a special commercial version(s), as opposed to a Ham version with an uplifted option(s) to include the specific (and limited) "special" frequency ranges you mentioned, so a commercial, full-blown 1.6 thru 30 MHz transceiver covering all 3 of these CFR parts would be an entirely different animal?

Thanks for any kind help on this! 

Larry
WA7LZO
Photo of Norm - W7CK

Norm - W7CK

• 759 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
None of the offerings I've seen so far have any protection for salt air environment.  I don't think the 6000 series would last long on a boat. 
Photo of Rick  WN2C

Rick WN2C

• 294 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Norm, did you sell your Maestro yet?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.