Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexRadio and Apple OSx

Answers

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    "No more whining! LOL" <-- nice try!
  • G8ZPX
    G8ZPX Member
    edited November 2017
    About 15 years ago when Apple was really pushing hard in to the European market, I attended a series of seminars. My takeaway quote was "we target the high end....basically customers with more money than sense". That was enough for me, never bought one never will, I don't want to be viewed as a gullible target.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    DogParkSDR runs on OS X and it's $95. For just a little more money you can buy a complete Windows 7 system and a KVM switch and run Flex's free SmartSDR - for example: Core 2 Duo desktop, 4 Gig Ram, 160 Gig HD in an Ultra Small Form Factor Case $115 https://www.discountelectronics.com/dell-optiplex-780-usff-computer-w7p/ KVMs are around $25...
  • John WA7UAR
    John WA7UAR Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    And the excellent third party xDax and xCat for Mac means Mac users can run Dax remotely — which the PC folks can’t do... yet.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I use my MacBook pro and xDax and xCat all the time from the office to make FT8 contacts.  DogparkSDR is nice software and it gets updated all the time.
  • Doug - W3UB
    Doug - W3UB Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Burch, Do you need to use a routing program like sound siphon to get the audio into WJST? Could you elaborate on the exact SW you have in use?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    John - I've been running DAX and CAT remotely on PC for some time now, using VPN. 
  • Ed Tyler
    Ed Tyler Member
    edited November 2017
    As I stated in my comment, I have owned Macs for over 30 years.  The statement that I made is not one of disparagement of Windows computers but, one suggesting that a proper strategy can deliver parity to the Mac users as a viable business venture.  Recycled Windows arguments are wonderful but the thought that Mac is dead simply ignores reality.  I run several ham related mailing lists that report the users computing environment,  In that user group of over 1000,  the split is about 30% Mac, 60% Windows and 10% other for computers.  Out of the total mail openings currently, the majority is on mobile devices, IPad/IPhones in the majority with the windows derived devices accounting for about 30%.

As the Mobile devices gain additional CPU power the argument is going to be Desktop, laptop or pad/phone. A good strategy would be to do as much development as possible in platform portable objects simplifying broad platform support.  

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    "As the Mobile devices gain additional CPU power the argument is going to be Desktop, laptop or pad/phone. " Windows has binary executable compatibility on desktop/laptops AND tablet platforms. Apple does not - OS X on desktops/laptops is not compatible with iOS on tablets/phones. Developing for Windows gets you desktop, laptop, and tablet support. Developing for OS X gets you desktop/laptop only, and developing for iOS gets you tablet/phone only. As noted, SmartSDR runs on Windows desktops, laptops, and tablets, DogPark runs on OS X desktops and laptops, and the SSDR iOS offering gives you tablet/iPhone support today, right now. Unfortunately, the three programs mentioned do not have 'feature parity', nor are they priced comparably (SSDR is free, iOS SSDR is $50, and DogPark is $200).
  • Don Agro
    Don Agro Member
    edited November 2017
    dogparkSDR is $95.00 not $200.00
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I am being selfish but it's my opinion that any diversion of resources to develop from SmartSDR for MAC OS means long waited features for SmartSDR and Maestro will be further delayed not months but years. This will outrage the whole community and not just some steadfast MAC users. There are other solutions for MAC users as mentioned, Dogpark, or pickup a cheap $100 PC to run SmartSDR on. I have a friend who runs SmartSDR on a cheap Kodi windows box.
    SmartSDR is wonderful and obviously quite functional now. SmartLink was a huge goal achieved and proves the design concept of the radio server was indeed the right direction for Flex to take, but developers need to focus efforts and address the many features demanded by it's users. Features that will enhance the current base and attract those on the fence keeping Flexradio on top of the and leading the SDR market. Again, just my opinion.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Absolutely correct, my bad. https://dogparksoftware.com/dogparkSDR.html
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Don't forget the higher resolution screen and an HDMI output
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited November 2017
    They can run Windows on their Mac easily since it is a PC built on the x86 platform and has been since 2006. It's even very easy to do.
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited November 2017

My comment should have been clearer, by closed I meant nobody can build a Mac but Apple. Apple used to allow clones, much like back in the day when clones of IBM computers gave Microsoft the advantage, sadly Apple dropped it, there were some great companies making good machines up until then.

• KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited November 2017

Mike,

Very well said

• Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    HDMI output yes, but higher resolution? I've not see that specified anywhere, but I easily could have missed it. Are you saying the M model displays are higher resolution than current model Maestros? A quick check of Flex's website shows Maestro at 8", 1280x800, and the M series radios have 8", 1920x1200 displays...
  • Mike VE3CKO
    Mike VE3CKO Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Yep I do remember that being said and 1920x1200 is a higher resolution than 1280x800 you've verified on Flex's site confirms that.
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Doug, I am using a program called loopback to route the audio to the xDax channels.  I am running Softether VPN software.  Initially I had the software running on my Windows computer that I use for my ham software.  I am now running softether on a Raspberry Pi.  DogparkSDR runs great remotely.  
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited November 2017
    VM/Bootcamp is a solution for Mac users, but not ideal. Plus, there's the added cost of a Windows licence. I know that Don's DPSDR software receives a lot of praise from users in this forum, but for me, it's just not my cup of tea. I think the menu structure and accessing functions is flat out difficult compared to SSDR (and SSDR for iOS for that matter). I've heard from two different people that they've contemplated using Marcus's framework and implementing his iOS app to a native macOS solution, which I would buy in a heart beat. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I have to agree 100% with Rob. Also if you have a higher end radio like a 6700 it doesn't give you access to all of your slices. I also find it extremely difficult to use. So I boot camp my Mac. 
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited November 2017

Rob,

Calling VM/Bootcamp not ideal speaks for a few but clearly not all, I have no issues with the various options for using Windows and found it ideal enough to run whatever I need and my customers seem to feel the same way.

You bought a Mac, you're used to paying more anyway, the cost of a Windows license is less than the cost of another computer yes? The ability to run the radio in the native environment in my humble opinion far outweighs trying to get FlexRadio to start fresh on SDR for MacOS and if people don't like DogSpark then your option is clearly use Windows, it runs fine on a Mac, not sure how it's not ideal, it's been done for a decade.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I don't care so much about the cost. It's the tradeoffs:

If you run bootcamp you cannot run your favorite Mac software when playing radio
    If you run parallels it consumes more resources than if you run a native app. 

That said, I do understand why the dev team hasn't released a Mac version. 
  • KC9NRN
    KC9NRN Member
    edited November 2017

Agreed, I preferred VM over Bootcamp myself when I used to own Mac's, I was talking to a person at work and she told me Mac's communicate better than PC's, I asked her how, she had no idea but that was her reason for buying them.

I asked a few others I know prefer Mac's just for perspective, both answered Mac's are better for graphics and video editing. I asked both of them how are they better and neither could give anything more than there aren't any apps for these things on Windows.... mind blown...

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I use a Mac because I want a unix-like desktop with things like python.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    It’s like Flex with SmartSDR. In some respects this closed system is better. When you don’t control the ecosystem you end up losing quality control very easily.
  • Rob Fissel
    Rob Fissel Member
    edited November 2017
    "not sure how it's not ideal, it's been done for a decade."
    It's not ideal, at least for me. You're either using a VM solution, and splitting your resources between two different "machines" or you're in Bootcamp where you loose the Mac side. Not ideal. At all. Ideal would be a native solution, but I understand the reasons why Flex won't task their devs with building the SSDR platform from scratch for MacOS.
    You bought a Mac, you're used to paying more anyway.
    No need to be pithy. I'm so sick and tired hearing people talk about Mac users like we're the elitist Goldman Sachs executives of the computer-using world. 

FWIW I spend 90% of my time in front of a Windows box. It's kind of sad how many people have come out on this thread to beat up on Mac users. 
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Don's support is awesome.  When I email him a question, even on weekends, he gets back to me quickly.  You can try the software for free so if you have a Mac give it a try.  I looks different than SmartSDR but it works great.  
  • Peter Bentley
    Peter Bentley Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    That is very sad

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.