Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexRadio 6700 Ethernet damaged by lightning

Ana Carla Silvy
edited December 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
I had my FlexRadio 6700 damaged by lightning, it was off to the antenna but off the Ethernet interface looks like it's not worked does not light the link LED on the back and on the Internet Router. I also had to change the internet modem because it was damaged also commonly.
someone has an idea how I can solve the problem?
I'm in Brazil !

Comments

• YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    are you sure it was not a fuse?
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Ana, I'm sorry to hear about the damage. It sounds like opening a help desk ticket is needed to confirm that your ethernet interface is damaged and get it fixed, I also live in an area that is lightning prone and as a precaution I installed a fiber link to prevent this exact problem. Repairing a PC with this issus is easier, but the ethernet interface in the radio is not user accessible. The fiber link also eliminates a path for stray RF. Here is a link to the fiber link setup I am using in case you are interested in this for the future. http://nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#Ethernet_Lightning_Protection Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • YV5WZ
    YV5WZ Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    você tem certeza de que o fusível 30 ampères que tem dentro não é queimado?

manual do proprietário:
    7.1.2 Fused internally at 30 Amps The power input has a protective 30 Amp automotive “blade type” fuse inside the radio case. Should you ever need to replace the fuse, remove the top cover and locate the fuse in the rear corner of the PA board just inside the case from the Power Pole connector. ! – NEVER USE A FUSE WITH A CURRENT RATING HIGHER THAN 30 AMPS! FAILURE TO PROPERLY USE THIS SAFETY DEVICE COULD RESULT IN DAMAGE TO YOUR RADIO, POWER SUPPLY, OR CREATE A FIRE RISK.
  • VE2MBT
    VE2MBT Member
    edited November 2019
    the way i have found to prevent this is to feed my shack with fiberoptic from modem to shack, i have IP phone in the shack and a little 8 port switch to supply the radio and computers. Lightning and statick CAN'T travel fiber optic
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Marc, 
    Sounds similar to my setup.  My fiber link is a conversion from CAT5 copper for the same reason.   More details here:

http://www.nn4zz.com/FLEX6700.htm#Ethernet_Lightning_Protection

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.21.77
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.21.159
    Win10
  • Robert -- N5IKD
    Robert -- N5IKD Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    I always disconnect the Ethernet and power connections when I disconnect the antennas. I have had lightening take out various Ethernet devices.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    The radio will need to be sent in for service.  Lightning damage can cause multiple cascaded failures and weaken components.  It really needs to be checked out at either or German or US service centers.  I have changed this post to a problem topic and converted this topic to a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution.  If anyone else is experiencing an issue similar to this one, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket for issue resolution.
  • Ana Carla Silvy
    edited March 2016
    Hello to all, the radius of the discharge came through the power grid, the Router burned the internet and the radio LAN FLEX6700, when it was turned off, and afonte also turned off, disconnected antenna.

was only LAN.
  • Ana Carla Silvy
    edited March 2016
    fuse are ok, because rig power on OK, only Lan don't work
  • Ana Carla Silvy
    edited March 2016
    yes, i will take care about this procedures.
  • Ana Carla Silvy
    edited March 2016
    yes, Rig power on, but LAN don't work.
  • Ana Carla Silvy
    edited March 2016
    Hi Al, your tips are very nice, thaks.
  • Ana Carla Silvy
    edited March 2016
    but the staff of Flex asked me to send the radio to Austin TX, for us who live in Brazil send something out of the country and bring back is very difficult.
    Brazil has the very rude policies for this procedure.
    Here we have very good technicians who could solve the problem seen to act does not seem to be anything so serious.

or provide a service manual for repair (of course understand that the téncico is not certified by Flex will be the loss of the guarantee).
  • dlwarnberg
    dlwarnberg Member ✭✭
    edited March 2016
    Keep in mind, although you state your router also was destroyed, 90% of lighting damage comes from the GROUND...  But for network protection you would be best to run a fiber hub between your eithernet web connection to another hub... look up fiber ethernet switch.. you will need two or replace you current router with a fiber port.

Good Luck
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    I am sorry that your country has strict Customs regulations on shipping, but theFLEX-6000 cannot be repaired unless the work is done by an authorized service center.  Only a service center has the proper tools, test equipment, knowledge, and software to perform service on a FLEX-6000.

I recommend contacting our distributor in Brazil, Radiohaus Radiocomunicação (sac@radiohaus.com.br), to see if they can assist with returning the radio to Austin for repair.
  • Norm - W7CK
    Norm - W7CK Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Very nice Al.  I didn't know fiber gear had come down in price so much.  Its now within my grasp.

Is there any reason you didn't put the fiber between your router and your cpu room switch?  It just seems that all of your equipment would be protected from lightning that way.  

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Norm,
    I have about 1,000 feet of CAT 5 cable throughout the house.   There are runs from each room back to the switch in my tool room.   

I added the fiber link in my shack to provide protection for the Flex6700,  and PC in the shack.   The issue is breaking the link between the devices you want to protect and the long runs of CAT 5 cable that act like a big antenna.   Not only does that isolate the radio from the EMP surge from a nearby lightning strike but it also eliminates RF from coming back down the CAT 5 run and getting into the radio. 

Adding a fiber link between the router and switch in the server room would not provide protection for the FLEX in the shack (or the other PCs in the house) since there would still be long runs of CAT 5 between the switch and the those devices.  

While my setup does not protect the other PCs in the house that are not isolated with a fiber link, the impact is lower when the ethernet interface on one of them is damaged.  I can just add a new ethernet card to the PC.  If the ethernet interface on the Flex is damaged, the radio has to go back to Texas for repair.

Hope this helps to clarify the solution strategy. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................... V 1.6.21.77
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.6.21.159
    Win10

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.