Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flexradio 6500 only ANT1 + ANT2, but i need more

How can i connect more than 2 antennes on my flex 6500. Now i have only ANT1 and ANT2. But i need more because i have more antennes.

I now i can use a antenneswitch. But is there another "automatic" solution?

pa3cps
Geert

Answers

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    There are a few Antenna Switch's out there that use BCD control,  Ameritron RCS-12, RCS-10 are two of them and there are several others, You will need to have the FTDI BCD Cable that will plug right into the back of the FLEX 6500 on one of the USB ports, check out the http://www.flexradio.com/downloads/usb-cable-interface-guide-pdf/  Document.

73's and Merry Christmas

Bret
    WX7Y

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016

I am using the Antenna Genius sold by Flex and extremely happy with it. Works great for two radios with remote operation over the Internet. It supports two radios and 8 separate antennas.

Jim, K6QE

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    You can always connect another antenna to the RX port for listening....  otherwise you will need an external source.  you can use the new USB BCD functions to drive even legacy products like the 2/6/8 pack, Ameritron RCS and others.  And of course the 403A antenna genius is designed around use with the flex 6000 series to work over your existing LAN.
  • ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Also if you happen to use expert amps or an amp that has more than 1 antenna port you could plug more in and control them there as well
  • N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I was thinking of using the MFJ-4726 antenna switch due to the fact I want to use my TS-820S with the same antennas. I have a hexbeam, 6BTV and a 160m doublet. 
  • Kevin
    Kevin Member
    edited December 2016
    Hi Rory:

Two rigs on one antenna using a (low-cost) switch? I had a bad experience with that in the past. I think most low cost switches are intended to share one rig and multiple antennas. In that configuration, there is little issue with low levels of RF hitting other ports. But, if it is two rigs sharing an antenna, it is possible there is not enough isolation between the switched ports to prevent the transmit from one radio overloading (to the point of damaging) the receive front end of the other radio.

My experience was using a switch to switch one antenna between a TS-830S and an MFJ antenna analyzer. It seemed to work fine for a day or so but all of a sudden the MFJ antenna analyzer just stopped working. I suspect  the switch didn't have enough isolation or the MFJ analyzer was just too sensitive. The MFJ analyzer had worked fine for a long time without being on the switch.

Not saying there aren't good switches out there that provide the required isolation between ports. Just saying it's something to check and confirm before risking the front end of an expensive rig.

Kev

• N6OIL
    N6OIL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Hi Kevin, those points that I have been wondering about. I see that RemoteQTH.com has nifty build to your needs switch that I'm also looking at. https://remoteqth.com/modular-antenna-switch.php
  • James Kennedy-WU5E
    James Kennedy-WU5E Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I use the Antenna Genius 8x1 from 4o3a.com   you can hookup 8 antennas and the switch will follow the radio. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I use a SPE Expert amp with 4 antenna ports and a rx antenna port.
  • Geert Balsma PA3CPS
    edited November 2019
    Thanks for all the reply's. 
    The  Antenna Genius solution seems the best because you can switch ports with the SDR  software.

But there is one problem. You always can connected 2 antennas at once.

Sample:
    When you have 4 monoband antennas for 10-15-17 and 20 meter and i open 4 slices for 10/15/17/20 meter.
    How do i handle this?
  • pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited December 2016

A second 6700 ?

• pa0bie
    pa0bie Member
    edited December 2016

Grapje !

Perhaps You can use just one multiband antenna , on a Rx port ,something like a GPA50.

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    A combiner will work but you should use bandpass filters as well. It could get messy.
  • Geert Balsma PA3CPS
    edited November 2017
    I think the only solution is a Flexradio 7500 with 4 antenna ports. Or a Flexradio 7700 with 8 antenna ports.

Or to buy a log periodic antenna with a lot of bands.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.