Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flexradio 6400M and router

Scott Oakland
Scott Oakland Member
edited December 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
My Flex 6400M, even on Windows 10, still is giving me headaches. I spent countless hours trying to get the MAc to transmit on WSJT-X and finally gave up on that. On to Win 10, and still problems.  It seems that nothing stays consistent. It is extremely volatile. I have to load Windows, check to make sure everything is good, then start up the radio. And even then configurations seem to change as to IP addresses and such. I am thinking I need a new router. I use Comcast/Xfinity, so can anyone recommend a good replacement from the one I have? I don't care how much it is, I just this solved. I have spent way too much time trying to get Flex to work, and there are constant roadblocks. SO any ideas on the router guys? Sorry for the venting but this seems way too crazy to be happening with something designed to work with Windows. And with all the routers out there - not to mention computers - it's no wonder there are issues.

Answers

• Dwayne_AB6A
    Dwayne_AB6A Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Google Wifi has been solid for me. IOS App allows me to manage the network from anywhere.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I understand your frustration and the desire to just 'throw money at the problem' until it's solved, but I'd like to make a couple suggestions. First, you can simply hard-code the IP addresses on you PC or Mac, and Flex. It sounds like DHCP is your challenge, and changing routers won't really address that. Second, you can 'reserve' or 'assign' the current DHCP IP address assignments on your current router - that way every time your router sees your Mac, your PC, or your Flex it will always assign them the same address as before. You would not have to change anything on your Mac, pc, or Flex radio server - the change would be to make the router always assign the same IP, then you should be good to go. Happy to provide more details, but this should be enough to get you started - if you get stuck, Xfinity/Comcast can help you do this .
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Jus t a little extra background - the Win10 PC has it’s WiFi interface to the Xfinity router bridged to its Ethernet interface to allow the Flex to connect with Ethernet.
  • Brian Denley  KB1VBF
    Brian Denley KB1VBF Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Scott: I also have Xfinity service for internet, wifi and phone. I have a flex 6400 plugged directly into the router. I am not having any problems at all so far. My router is tall, black and has 7 lights vertically down the front with two of them for telephone. If that’s not enough, I can get you the model numbers later. Btw, Windows 10 updates have also not bothered my setup at all either
  • Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I have Xfinity, as well, however, I put the Xfinity router into bridge mode and turned off their WiFi.  I use an IQRouter with includes Ethernet and WiFi that I can control.  I have set up the router DHCP so that when my PC and Flex ask for an address they are assigned the same IP address each time they connect.  With the IQRouter,+ I can also set up the port forwarding that I need for SmartLink without having to get Xfinity involved.   The IQRouter also handles buffer bloat which improves your overall access to the Internet.

I've had my IQRouter for several years, used it with two different providers, and have gotten good support.  Some of my questions have been answered on a Sunday afternoon!  Not expected, at all.

Logan, KE7AZ
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Good Afternoon Scott,
    When we first moved into this location back in the fall of 2016 the cable company wanted to "Provide Us" with a WiFi router to connect to the cable modem.  I said no thank you.  The company we had previously had an all in one unit, and I couldn't get INTO it at all to do any custom configuration....

I went out and bought a nice new fancy pancy Netgear R7000P (they'd just came out) and brought it up with the basic quick start guide.  It was fast and coverage was excellent so I didn't bother messing around any further... THE FIRST MONTH anyway.  I wanted to see what issues were out there on this network...  WOW.......

Then I started noticing people were accessing my computers... They were connecting at about 100 different ports I never oven knew what they were for and I was an IT professional.  WELL!

There was absolutely ZERO security through the cable company... and the router defaulted to PnP ON, Port Forwarding ON and a whole bunch of other features that were allowing the kiddies to have their way with my system.

I now have security locked down.  I only allow my devices to connect IF the MAC address is already listed and I have DHCP ON, however all the devices have permanent reservations.. No New devices may connect.

I went from PAGES of attempts in my log files to Connected to internet, Contacted TIME....  and then a list of the devices ON their prereserved IP addesses.  IP 6 is deactivated..  All the port Jazz is OFF except for a reserved set of ports that are manually added for a specialized application...  NOBODY is going to have their way into my system again if I can help it.

I notice there's a LOT of problems here ON THIS FORUM with the NETWORK side of these systems.  The KISS principal is the only way to fly.  Come in your modem... connect to a router, and firewall server that YOU HAVE THE CONTROL Of.  NEVER DEACTIVATE firewalls, even for a short time.  Never have  Plug and Play turned on and USE maximum access control...  Then connect your computer, and then plug in your radio...  Use DHCP... Thats fine, but Always have a reservation expecting a MAC address...  Check router logs regularly...  I was finding the default time server for Netgear was a european time server!!!!!!  Well whole countries were watching time server accesses, and BINGO now I have a potential USA IP ADDRESS to see if I can hack!!!!!!  I then started using a NBS time server, BY that server's actual IP address.

No w any attempt to hack me comes from within 50 miles of our house...  NOT the other side of the world.  Once YOU have control of your DHCP server and the Router itself it doesn't matter what your ISP is doing.

Select Private on your windows firewall and sleep well at night.  If you think you need to have ports open everywhere as you're a gamer...  well then put that on a different router...  Because all the guys hacking in my system were gamers and hackers using gaming ports...

You should never have a problem after fixing the basics...  Every computer in the house should act identical, and your radio should connect EVERY TIME...

Somebody mentioned yesterday somebody should write a book...  Well once I finally get my ducks in a row where I can get a new radio in the shack here, I'll be able to do that.  I'm "Really Big" on having networks running flawlessly.  You never NEED things Kludged together to get 4 radios and 8 computers all to be able to talk...  The idea is painless...  Even if the initial beginning is removing marginal gear and replacing it with State of the ART secure equipment... 

Sincerely,...
    Erika DD. 
  • Logan KE7AZ
    Logan KE7AZ Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Amen. Years ago, I set up a BBS that had Internet access and it had lots of protection. Went to bed and next morning there were login attempts from both the Chinese and the Russians. Less than 8 hours and it was targeted. Really opened my eyes about the threat.
  • Erika - KØDD
    Erika - KØDD Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    In the past I was the IT Director for a US Senator's reelection campaign.  (he was reelected) We were getting 80,000 login attempts at each hack attempt... and they made multiple attempts each day...   It was coming from that group of islands off China coast.  They did a 60 minutes expose about the hackers about a year later...  We ended up BLOCKING the whole Chinese Country of IP addresses... The whole country...  I mean it was doubtful the Chinese were going to email the Senator, giggle
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Simplify, simplify, simplify.

Use one Ethernet cable between the PC and the Flex. No router, no static IPs set on either.

Does SmartSDR connect to the radio reliably?

• Scott Oakland
    Scott Oakland Member
    edited December 2019
    My ethernet outlet is in the living room so too far for a cable. But I have ordered a travel router that will take my WiFi signal and dole out IP addresses directly to the Flex (and the two Macs I have). One Mac I run Windows with Smart SDR by the way. That's my solution, which was recommended by a ham friend. I agree with Danny that the simple way is best though.
  • K5CG
    K5CG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    My suggestion was just to initially establish confidence in the equipment even as a temporary setup. Then start introducing other components - routers, switches etc., one at a time until it breaks, to help determine which component breaks it.
  • Ken Hansen
    Ken Hansen Member ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    You'll probably want to set the travel router up on what's called 'bridge mode'. If you have the travel router hand out IP addresses you'll find the radio will be 'double NAT'ed' which SmartSDR can't handle. The way you described it might not work. I have my Flex (and all Shack equipment) on a similar device which connects to my home WiFi and provides a bridge to an RJ-45 Ethernet adapter - works well, and helped me avoid a trip into the attic to run Cat5e.
  • Ted  VE3TRQ
    Ted VE3TRQ Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    That would be the next step after it’s proven to work :-) The only requirement to avoid double NAT is for SmartLink - SSDR won’t care, as its on the same broadcast domain as the radio.
  • Mike-VA3MW
    Mike-VA3MW Administrator, FlexRadio Employee, Community Manager, Super Elmer, Moderator admin
    edited August 2019
    Hi Scott

It sounds like there are a lot of moving pieces in your network.  

In order to move forward, can I make 2 suggestions and provide a bit of technical depth?

1. Physically draw a map on a piece of paper of your network.  While this sounds pretty trivial it does help the rest of us help debug things.  Personally, for me anyway, the make and model of the modem/switch/router isn't really useful unless I have actually had time to play with one.  However, to know you have a DSL line connected to a Modem connected to... what ever,  is very useful as the visual is more powerful.
    2. In order for the radio to be seen (it advertises itself) the radio has to be on the same subnet as all other ham stuff (clients).  This means, in most cases that you need to have all devices start with something like 192.168.1.****.  Keeping it simple it is the first 3 numbers that MUST be the same.  The technical details are that the radio does a Layer 2 broadcast  saying "here I am".  :)  These broadcasts only go to the part of the network that have the same 3 first numbers (aka subnet).  This is why others are recommending that all devices downstream of your modem be in a Bridge mode.    
    If you can, I would stay off WiFi for the radio (this is well discussed in the Flex community).  To be honest, today's WiFi is pretty busted and thanks to so much TV streaming it is no better than a party line from our youth.  You might get it to work, but my guess is that it will start to break up after dinner when your family and your neighbours all get on NetFlix.  This will show up as packet loss.

Remember, it isn't just your WiFi, it is every other WiFi access point your personal WiFi access points can hear.  They have to leave time for them to get their data out.

You have a lot of money invested in your hobby, so now is the time to do it correctly and it will have a direct impact of the enjoyment of your hobby.

One option that works for some is to use LAN extenders called "Power Line" devices.  I have tried TP-Link ones with pretty good results, but follow the instructions and never ever have them plugged into a power bar as the surge protectors in the power bars will cause them to not work.  You may have to try a few as some use our HF frequencies as their base band carrier.

It is easy to get a network to work for surfing, but it takes a bit of understanding when you add specialized devices.  No different than getting an antenna to resonant.

I hope that helps a bit.

Mike va3mw

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.