FlexLogger Emerges

• Idea
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
Hi All,

A while back I showed my quickly spun logging program and found a fair number of you had some interest.  So... being the idiot I am I decided what I had was far from ready for others to use and I basically rewrote it from scratch.

The new program is currently called FlexLogger.  It currently has a fair number of cool features and the list will continue to grow:
  • Interfaces with your flex, provides a number of in logger flex controls
  • Fast database logging
  • Integrated spots with user configurable spot sources
  • Spots interact with your logger and any online looks you have enabled
  • Monitoring and automatic logging of WSJT-X QSOs
  • SPE serial amp monitoring and control
  • Scripting, assignment of scripts to quick buttons
  • Call lookup via QRZ or HamQTH
  • Qso posting to HRDLOG.NET  (club log coming)
  • CWX macros including speed changes and send of variables
And much more to come!  I have a really big list of future features.

It is in a very early state right now and there are bound to be some issues but I am dedicated to fixing what I can find and making this a really good little logging program.

If you would like to give it a try the installer can be downloaded from here:

http://184.154.226.168/flinstallers/FlexLoggerSetup-0.0.7.0.exe

There are a few things you need to do once it is installed before it is ready to use:
  • Click the gear icon, top left, to enter program configuration.  In here enter any online lookup services you use like QRZ or HamQTH.  There are also some preferences and if you have an SPE and wish to control it over RS-232 you can enable that here as well.
  • Next icon over you must create a station.  The next icon over allows you to define and save a station definition.  This includes things like call, location, grid, etc.
  • Next icon over will let you define an operator.  You can have multiple operators if you are lucky to have multiple hams in the house.
  • Next icon over will let you create a radio definition.  Currently Smartlink connect is not working but you can define details or IP addresses for where your radio is.
  • Next icon over will let you create a database.  FlexLogger will remember and use the last database you open but you can have as many databases as you wish.  For example if you are working a contest you might start a new contest only database.  Totally up to you.
Once you have done these steps you should be able to connect to your radio and the data shown in the slice panels should follow changes to your radio.

At this point you can poke around and look at things.  If you want to import your data from another logging program just export that data to an ADI file then use the log management tab to import the data into your FlexLogger database.

Once you have this version installed, future updates are handled by an in program updater that can download and update your copy to the latest version.

Operationally if you manually enter a call sign into the call field in the log, use the tab key to trigger lookups.   The esc key will clear log entries.

Again, this is very early.  there are some things that will change.  But let me know what you think.

Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1321 Posts
  • 500 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Dale - K4DG

Dale - K4DG

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Mark:

One more feature request:

I see you have support for the SPE line of linear amps in FlexLogger. One of the issues with these amps (I own a 1.3K-FA) is that you need to control the output power of the Flex so as to not overdrive the amp (and set off the amp’s alarm). I currently use K5FR’s DDUtil 3.0 to do this. His software allows you to set the drive level for each band when the amp is on, and when the amp is off. Is there a way to do this with your SPE control panel, or to add this in a future version?

Dale – K4DG
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1268 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
You can do it right now.  The small arrows at the top of the window will decrease or increase the drive setting and the SPE amp will send this to the flex.

The amp remembers the settings for each band so what DDUTIL does is a little overkill because once you set them for a particular input and band they are remembered in the amp.  At least this is how my 2K works.

If we need to I can provide a system similar to DDUTIL.  But give the arrows a try.  They work just like the buttons on the front of the amp.  The amp needs to be ONLINE and the first press will bring up the PC drive number then additional presses will tweak the value up/down.

Mark
Photo of Dale - K4DG

Dale - K4DG

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Mark:

I will give your suggestions a try and let you know how they work.

Thanks and 73,

Dale - K4DG
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3718 Posts
  • 1568 Reply Likes
Since I am using DDUTIL and not the Flex USB Version I definitely prefer the DDUTIL Version where I can conveniently set the amp drive in software rather than physically attack the AMP.. particularly more convenient when operating remote and I need to set different drive levels due to changes in local conditions or operating needs
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1268 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
My 2K remembers the settings per band/per input.  So I rarely have to adjust them.  But in FlexLogger using the RS-232 connection I can quickly tweak them up and down and for me personally it is one less piece of software to run.

That is one of the main reasons I wrote FlexLogger is so I could log, control radio, control amp, monitor WSJT, spots, all in one place.

I plan to continue to expand FlexLogger as best I can to have similar abilities to Stacks, DDUTIL and others.  

I will fully admit that everyone operates differently and that makes it tough to have a single piece of software that does what everyone wants.  For me my op mode is pretty typical:

Open SSDR
Use profiles to select what I plan to do
Connect FlexLogger to radio
Connect FlexLogger to amp

Make qsos, make adjustments to amp, log, move on.

My remote operating these days consists of operating from my office usually and I can connect FlexLogger to my radio via a port tunnel.  I do plan to support SmartLink but just have not gotten to it.  Same thing with my amp.  I can talk to it from just about anywhere through the tunnel.

So I can completely control all aspects of my station, right now, with FlexLogger whether I am remote or local.
Photo of Sergey Abrikosov

Sergey Abrikosov

• 230 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Mark,
Need a little help here.
I am trying to find out how to change a time between each character I send with CW Macro
It seems delay between each character is too big when I send my call sign or anything else. How can I change it?
Thanks
Sergey, KN7K
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1268 Posts
  • 478 Reply Likes
Hi Sergey,

You can always email me direct at ws7m@arrl.net which may get a quicker response.

I am assuming you are running FlexLogger V0.1.0.5 correct?

If so I have seen this slow character speed issue myself and it was related to the radio taking too long to send back a CWX character processed event.

FlexLogger sends CW macros and text you type one character at a time.  After the characters is deposited into the FR buffer it waits for an event from the radio saying the character was processed.

I once saw my radio get real slow at returning those events.  So in V0.1.0.6 (not released yet) I have added an "event delay" which will cause a timeout if the event does not return before the timeout value.

While this will make your CW macros send faster if you are having a slow response it can allow macros to get out of sync.  For example assume you are sending:

TU <<<5NN>>> DE KN7K

As your macro.  The <<< and >>> act to change the CW speed so 5NN comes out nice and fast.

If the radio is working right and events are fast everything will sync up nicely.  When the final < character is seen the speed will be incremented to the new value and 5NN is put into the queue.  When the event for the final N is seen then the >>> will decrease the speed before sending DE KN7K.

However if the events are running slow and you use the timeout feature in 1.0.6 then you can get into a situation where >>> does cause the speed increase but perhaps only 5N is sent before the speed starts to back down.  So you end up maybe with a fast 5N and a slower final N.

The reason is that the timeout is taking over and allowing the character processing to continue before the character is really being sent by the radio.

I know this sounds complex and it is, but that is most likely what is going on.  I would try a radio reboot as well as perhaps a computer reboot and see if the delay between characters is faster.

Let me know what you find.

Mark
(Edited)
Photo of Larry - W8LLL

Larry - W8LLL

• 512 Posts
  • 113 Reply Likes
Love the new audio tab features.
Photo of Ken

Ken

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Mark ... I am using the FlexLogger and I love it.  One question:  Are you planning to add a feature that will allow users to upload logs that are in Cabrillo / Text format to the logger?  I may have missed something obvious in the functionality but it looks like I can only upload "adif" files currently.  I probably have 50 or so contest logs that are still in Cabrillo format from N1MM+ that I would like to upload to my main log and as it stands, I'll have to convert each one of these to adif using a "text to adif" converter.  Is there a better way?  Thanks for your work in producing a great logger.

Ken, N5EE
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1288 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
Hi Ken,

Yes currently only ADIF.   I can add cabrillo but you are the first to request it.  I'll get it on the list and maybe get it in for the next release.

Thanks for the compliment.  The logger will continue to evolve!

Please check the website for it at http://ws7m.net/  You can also join the groups.io group for it from the webpage.

Mark
Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 766 Posts
  • 138 Reply Likes
Mark, tried to download your latest creation and I get this error.
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1318 Posts
  • 500 Reply Likes
Hi Bob,

I just tried it and it worked correctly.  

Try refreshing your browser then go to:

http://ws7m.net/index.php/download

Click on the link for 0.1.0.15

Let me know if you still have issues.

Mark

Sergey Abrikosov

• 267 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Hi Mark,
As much as I would like to use you logger, it is still hard to use.
It is been a while since I tried your log and decided to see whats new ver 0.1.0.15.
It still not usable for me, i still see distorted scaled, cut buttons, cant change fonts, Frequency read as 0.
Is there any update to address these issues?
Thanks
Sergey, KN7K
Photo of Mark - WS7M

Mark - WS7M

• 1318 Posts
  • 500 Reply Likes
Hi Sergey,

It is likely that the distortions you see are because you have your "Scale and Layout" in "Display settings" set to a value other than 100%

This will cause things to draw strangely.   A lot of people go for high resolution monitors and crank the resolution up to full then when fonts are too small they turn up the scale/layout option.   Only much newer frameworks can deal effectively with these settings.

I am sorry but I do not have an easy way to fix that issue.   My suggestion would be to set your scaling to 100% but if things are too small then decrease your monitor resolution until things get to be a size you like.

Regarding the frequency being 0.0.  I would need to look into your specific case and I am more than willing to do that.  I do have people all over the world using FRLogger without issues on frequency so it is likely there is some setting that is just not right.

The place to start is if you have any "localization" set in Windows.  IE do you have your computer set to act like it is in a foreign country.  If so then I would need to know exactly what you have set with some screen shots and we can try to figure it out.

If is also not clear since you are showing the "log list" if those QSOs were freshly logged using FRLogger or if they were imported from a different program.  If they were imported then I would love to see the ADIF file you imported from so I can try to figure out why the values were set to zero.

Please email me screen shots and settings and I'll see what I can do to help.

Mark - ws7m@arrl.net

Sergey Abrikosov

• 267 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Will do, Thanks Mark
Sergey