Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexControl! Don't wait to buy one like I did!

Options
Mickey N4MB
Mickey N4MB Member
edited January 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
FlexControl adds a dimension to FlexRadio that I'd never experienced - the ability to tune at any time, no matter where the mouse cursor is located. My tower was delivered by a 5th wheel trailer with FlexControl written all over it, so I figured that was probably a recommendation from the cosmose and I ordered it. I'm glad I did! Here's the FlexControl Trailer:

Comments

• Charles - K5UA
    Charles - K5UA Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Did you hear the theme music from the "Twilight Zone" playing in the background when the trailer drove up?
  • Mickey N4MB
    Mickey N4MB Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hmmm... DidiDAHdit, didiDAHdit... Thought that was an F for FlexControl...
  • Mike K5UX
    Mike K5UX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    After I saw the light (talking with K5UA about his Flex Control), I decided to order one, only to find they were out-of-stock and it would be a few weeks before I got one. But it was really worth the wait and will be even better when we can lock the frequency in each slice......I seem to bump the mouse or hit the Flex Control at the most inopportune times. Mike K5UX
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The other thing you want to add along with the Flex Control is a nice big Kensington Expert Mouse trackball. Between the two you've got the best control imaginable.
  • W0QKL
    W0QKL Member
    edited January 2014
    Options
    Rick I agree, we use a Logitech wireless trackman a model which is no longer made and very expensive (200+) one of the best trackballs I have ever had along with the Flex controller it's is a winning combination.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Friends have been suggesting to buy one for years. Finally, several weeks ago I purchased a FlexControl knob. Holly cow! I finally realized what I been missing and became a believer. This knob simplified the tuning speed and accuracy of my landings. But wait. SmartSDR is not fully implemented (yet) to support all the functions of the knob.
  • Mickey N4MB
    Mickey N4MB Member
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yes, I'm careful not to press any of the buttons on the FlexControl. It basically stops working until I restart SmartSDR. Trackball - I saw the Kensington... smooth operation, but wondered if I would like it. It's wired. I've used a wireless Logitech M570 for about 3 years... ball is light, no momentum, but fatigue is low. Wheel tunes nicely... it was better with adjusted to smaller tuning steps, as in the Flex5000... I understand that's on the road map. Here's the M570. Obviously can get it for less: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-trackball-m570
  • DonS
    DonS Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    The Kensington trackball is great, however, I don't think they make the wireless anymore. If you are into the mouse I have found the Logitech M705 mouse has a great wheel for tuning. You can disable the clicking on the wheel.
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Re Kensington trackball. I have had the "expert mouse" Model K64325 for several years as a software developer (use it 10 hours per day). The large ring around the centre ball allows individual clicks by catching a finger nail in the groves and moving slowly or give it a good flick and it will spin for fast scrolling (or SSDR receiver tuning). The wrist support helps prevent repetitive use problems (why I left the mouse behind). Highly recommended

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.