Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexControl - can you use 2 controls at the same time?

Al_NN4ZZ
Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
FlexControl - can you use 2 controls at the same time? For example: can one knob be controlled by SmartSDR for RIT and one be controlled by DDUtil for the slice frequency? Anyone tried this? Regards, Al / NN4ZZ

Answers

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Al, This should work without a problem. I don't know the algorithm by which SSDR scans for a FlexControl so you would have to experiment with which FlexControl to assign to DDUtil. The FlexControl looks like a serial com port to Windows and so there is no restriction on two of them coexisting. Stu K6TU
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Interesting idea. I never would have thought of that. On the other hand... I wish someone would design an interface via the API that would let me program my Hercules DJ2 board for various functions. Now that would be really slick...
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Stu, Thanks for the info. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Yes...I have been doing this since day one. I have one FlexControl connected to the computer running ssdr and the other connected to the stand alone computer running DDUtil. Works great. 73 Greg
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Greg, Thanks for info, good to hear they work together without conflict. My idea is to connect both to the same computer. One assigned to ssdr and the other to ddutil. It sounds like that should work also per Stu. Will have to see how the port assignments shake out and whether it matters on the order that the programs (ssdr and ddutil) are started. Have you ever tried to run them both on one computer? Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Sorry Al but I have only tried it using different computers since I run DDUtil on the touch computer for ease of use of the macro buttons. :)
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2020
    The capability to access multiple FlexControls by a single instance of SmartSDR does not exist in the software.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    True - but see above... One FlexControl connected to SSDR, the other to DDUtil... Stu K6TU
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    Yes that but there are ways to get around it using edition.
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My second FlexControl arrives tomorrow and I''ll test it out. One on Ddutil One on Smartsdr. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Greg
    Greg Member ✭✭
    edited January 2014
    **** auto correct Ddutil
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    UPDATE. The new FlexControl knob arrived today. I plugged it in and it works fine, I didn't have to do anything except "enable" Flex Control in the 6700. This is on the GENERAL tab of the RADIO SETTINGS screen. The original knob is on com 16 and selected by DDUtil. The 6700 found the new one that was available on com 17. With the SmartSDR knob it's easy to tell when RIT or XIT is engaged (the mode / toggle leds come on). See picture below. The disadvantage of using 1 knob controlled by SmartSDR (with the current software) is you could bump the slice frequency when toggling between tuning and RIT / XIT. You also don't have all of the macros and other features that DDUtil provides like variable tuning rate. Two knobs is probably overkill and not for everyone. Eventually I expect SmartSDR will implement more capability for the FlexControl knob and I may not need/want 2 of them. On the other hand it seems to be working nicely to have 2 controls. And there are other ways to use 2 knobs, you could tune slice A with one and B with the other, etc. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ The knob on the right is controlled by SmartSDR and currently RIT is enabled. You can tell by the MODE led being on. And if you can see the RIT button in BLUE.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.