Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexControl status light labeling .. function or fiction?

W7NGA
W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
I must be missing something. I just received my FlexControl and cannot determine what function the status lights play other than identifying the active selection. They are labeled 'mode, on/off, toggle' with seemingly no real association to those labels. Enlighten me please and 73's from the rainy Oregon coast.

W7NGA  dan
Seaside, Oregon

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Dan, Have you configured the FlexControl from within SmartSDR on your computer? It a top level menu function. Assign the buttons and the knob press as desired? If your issue is different then let me know and I'll try to help. Mack W4AX Alpha Tester
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Just wondering why the status lights are labeled with anything .. since the context can change. It must be from an earlier series, non-SmartSDR perhaps. Why a 'on/off' label when that option does not exist?
  • Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2020
    Dan, The FlexControl was originally built for PowerSDR using DDUtil where the button function labels match more appropriately. Mack
  • Jay Nation
    Jay Nation Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Actually, the on/off labeling is partially correct. When "it's" lit "it's" on, when "it's" not lit "it's" off.
    Defining what "it" is, is left up to the operator. If the light bothers you, maybe unplug the FlexControl, the knob will still spin in both directions. I use mine with my SDR1000, FLEX5000, and FLEX6500. The labels don't seem to have much meaning with any of them. The AUX1,2,3 labels are helpful, in that they help me to tell the buttons apart. image

SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J

• Jim  KJ3P
    Jim KJ3P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I've always wondered this, too.  Thanks for the historical perspective.
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    interesting logic ... I am pleased however, that my Prius gear-selector is labeled with 'Park, Drive, Reverse' instead of 'Non-motive, Propel, Toggle', or worse .. 'AM, FM, Disc' with a footnote in the manual to ignore all labels. If the labeling isn't truly representative it should not be available for misinterpretation. Not a big deal ... just an observation.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.