Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexControl not responding

Neil   N4FN
Neil N4FN Member
Two days ago my FlexControl stopped working so I researched the issue in the community and followed Tim W4TE's article and changed the comport to 99. It then started to work. Today it did not respond so I checked the device manager and it was still configured as 99 so I changed it to 98, still no response. I also switched the USB port on the 6400 and no change. Any suggestions/help is greatly appreciated. I am using the latest version of SSDR.
Neil   N4FN 

Comments

• Wim
    Wim Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    same happened to me, it worked for a while after installing latest smartSDR but now the VFO doesn't work, the buttons do work still ...
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    With the Flex Control disconnected check and see if you have "ghost" com ports and delete ALL of  them if there are any in your computers Device manager, then Reboot, then plug in the Flex Control and change the COM port on the Flex Control to a higher UN-USED COM port, then reboot again. 

The Flex Control will not work on the "USB port on the 6400",  it only works on the Computer USB under SmartDSR unless something has very recently changed.
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y

• Tim VE6SH
    Tim VE6SH Member ✭✭
    edited March 2019

I had an issue similar to this where the Flexcontrol was intermittent. I could not correct it until I let a Windows update occur (Win10) and for whatever reason that fixed the issue.

Tim VE6SH

• Neil   N4FN
    Neil N4FN Member
    edited June 2020
    Bret...what is a "ghost" com port. I am not familiar with the term?
    TNX
    Neil

• Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited April 2020
    I was just going to post SmartSDR CAT not working and I saw this. So I did get it to work but need some additional guidance on why and cleanup. 

-WSJT (V1.9.1) configured for COM4, TS-2000 and 4800 baud as per Tim's article
    -Fire up WSJT and get Rig failure, Hamlib error....
    -Never see the connection to COM4 in the SmartSDR CAT window, shows process as "(None).
    -Has worked for several weeks without any configuration changes (yes, Windows under the covers is always playing with the OS :( )
    -I had 2 serial COM ports configured in SmartSDR CAT, COM4 and COM6
    -Neither would work with WSJT. Also tried HRD and had similar connect issue. HDR was identified as the process briefly in SmartSDR CAT.
    -So I just tried creating a new COM port in SmartSDR CAT (COM8) and configured WSJT for the new COM port. All good now, CAT working again.
    -BTW, SmartSDR DAX worked throughout the whole time as I could see and decode packets.

So the question of the day is, what happened to the historical COM ports (COM4 & COM6) and what do I do about them to clean up the configuration?

73, Ron WB2WGH

• WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Go into Device manager and click, view on the menu tab, click on "show hidden devices"  on the Ports (COM & LPT) you will NOW you may see some GREY'ed out COM ports, these are the Ghost COM port's I was talking about and you want to delete these, shouldn't need to delete the drivers if it asks.

Do this on the USB devices which may help too.

Hope this helps
    I guess it could be a bad Flex Control but who knows
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020
    Are you using a external hub  or directly into the usb on the computer. I've had intermittent issues using a hub on occasion
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This brings up one more point I have had issues with several older USB devices on my UBS3 port ONLY computer. 

If I mix USB2 and USB3 devices the same USB Hub including the ones built into the Computer's motherboard I have intermittent issues with my USB devices, even keyboards and mice. 

So what I do is have a Powered USB3 External USB Hub on one of the computer's USB3 Hubs and a second Powered USB2 Hub on the 2nd Computer's USB3 Hub and plug JUST USB2 devices into one Hub and USB3 devices into the USB3 Hub and NOT mix them.

This is using WIN10 64bit on a I7 Intel NUC computer

Look at your Computer Spec's and see which USB ports share the same USB Hub on the mother board.
    from what I have read,  USB3 ports are Software devices and not Hardware like USB2 and have trouble on some computers mixing them.
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-hardware/usb-30-issues-with-devices-usi...
    Your mileage may vary on this one.
    73's
    Bret
    WX7Y
  • Neil   N4FN
    Neil N4FN Member
    edited July 2019
    Actually I have been plugged into the port on the back of the 6400. I thought that was where it should be. It had been working perfectly like that, but I can go direct to the PC and bypass a powered hub I also have. Worth a try.
    TNX
    Neil

• Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Steve, in my case no USB. The COM ports are vitual com ports exposed by SmartSDR CAT. Laptop running SmartSDR, CAT, DAX, WSJTx LAN network connected to a 6600. No USB.

Ron WB2WGH
  • [Deleted User]
    edited April 2020

Can the flex control be plugged directly into the 6400 and 6600 series  radios??? Thought it needed to be plugged directly into computer and not a virtual com port

From the quick start guide.

Support for the FlexControl is available in all versions of SmartSDR for Windows.  

The necessary device driver and associated information for the FlexControl is included in this release, and will automatically be installed in your PC, when a new version of SmartSDR for Windows is installed.

In Step 2, with the computer turned on, and SmartSDR for Windows installed but not running, simply plug the FlexControl into a USB port.

Note: All three lights will be on when the FlexControl is initially plugged into the computer, and some or all of them will go out when the device has been installed and connected.

• Neil   N4FN
    Neil N4FN Member
    edited June 2020
    Brett...Thanks for the response. I did find one com port grayed out and deleted it. Call it a senior moment or a brain **** but I never had the Flex Control plugged into the back of the 6400, I was confused it was the S-12 cable for the SteppIR BigIR... Oh well no one said getting old was for sissies. I did as you suggested the Dell XPS has both  USB 2 and 3 ports on the back, so I plugged directly into a USB 2 port and the FlexControl came to life. I know some hubs can be a problem the one I have is a good powered one that is USB 2 plugged into a USB 3 connector and that may have been the issue??
    Thanks for the suggestion
    73 have a great 4th
    Neil   N4FN
  • [Deleted User]
    edited July 2018
    Are you talking about the flex control which is what his thread is about . . . I thought
  • Ronald Panetta
    Ronald Panetta Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    My appologies as I just figured out this is about FlexControl and not CAT. Still new to Flex and trying to figure out the "lingo". Yea I didn't buy the FlexControl. Maybe next year at Dayton.

I will repost in a new thread. Sorry :)

Ron, WB2WGH
  • WX7Y
    WX7Y Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Hope that works for you, USB3 kinda sucks and even though they say it is downward compatible with USB2 there are a lot of issues with drivers I think 
    73'a and envious of the SteppIR

Bret
    WX7Y

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.