Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FlexControl no longer tunes after I tried to change functions of the various buttons.

I am using a 6500 with 1.3.8.  I just thought I would "play" with the FlexControl settings and had different items working well.  However, I now cannot tune a slice.  I have even set all button functions back to "None", rebooted, rehooked, etc., all with no luck.

I am guessing I am overlooking something simple but it has me stumped. 

Comments

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Try and plug it into a different USB port - it will reload the driver.
    Have you actually enabled it in SSDR?

I have had real struggles with the FlexControl - in my case it works but sometimes cannot change options. Sometimes it does not work at all. Most of the time, no problems, but what fixes it I have not a clue.

Good luck.

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    You need to set itto affixed port address. I use a high number. Port 50.
  • Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    John,

Try tapping the switch on the tuning knob.  Its possible that SmartSDR still thinks that (despite the reboot, reconfiguration) that the knob has been told to tune one of the functions selected by the switches.

The SmartSDR client remembers the state of what it was last tuning via the FlexControl even when you quit SmartSDR and restart it.  The LED by each switch should be lit to show the state of what is selected but I have seen this not be the case in 1.3.8.

Tapping the switch on the tuning knob itself should tell SmartSDR to go back to slice tune mode with the main tuning knob - at which point it should tune the active slice - the one with the yellow lubber line.

If that doesn't work, open a trouble ticket with FlexRadio.

Stu K6TU
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    It always seems to take COM 3 and there have not been any conflicts with other ports. Been okay for past couple of months <touches wood>.
  • John Thompson
    John Thompson Member
    edited February 2015

Thanks for that Stu, but no luck.  None of the lights are lit either.

I will open a ticket.................John  kb9tpg

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Guy,

You would do yourself a favor by moving the port assigned to the FlexControl to something like COM50 - way above all the default ports.

The issue is not confined to the FlexControl - its due to the brain dead assignment of port numbers within Windows.  Windows doesn't see or understand virtual com ports - at one level they are visible to the system but to the device assignment manager they are not.

So if you move the port on which the FlexControl is plugged to, the assignment manager goes through the process all over again and can get it wrong.

FlexRadio isn't the only company facing this problem...  its sadly the topic of many articles etc on Google.  The consistent solution is to assign a port manually via the device manager, device properties and its advanced tab.

Stu K6TU
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I will do that Stu, but the problem arises when I have not moved the port into which the FlexControl is plugged.

COM 50 it will be.

Have a great weekend and thank for the tip, and you too Howard, natch.
  • John Thompson
    John Thompson Member
    edited December 2018

Well, do I ever have egg on my face, so to speak.  I asked a friend to double check for me and he found the issue right away.  When I went to clear out all my "playing around" I set everything to "none", including the dial.  Once we move it to "Tune Slice", all was well.

Thank you everyone for your help.

John  kb9tpg

• DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Been there (more times than I will admit) and got the badge.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.