Flex provided hand mic...poor audio??

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago

I just got my 6300 at Dayton. Yeah! Ya...Hoo!

It came with a hand Mic (Thanks...Flex)

BUT, I tried to use it the first night I got the radio going (Sunday) and everyone said it was really terrible. We tried everything we could think of to make it sound decent...no go.

Did I get a bad one (Chinese fallout rate?) or is it just that they are of poor quality in general??

The next day I hooked up my Heil gold line and I am getting great audio reports.

Did anyone else ever try these Mic's and what was your experience?

Thanks,

Lee

Photo of Lee

Lee

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

Posted 6 years ago

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P

• 4239 Posts
  • 1352 Reply Likes
I have used it, but you must use the 8 band EQ to adjust your audio response in order to get acceptable sound. But a good desk/boom mike is much, much better.
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

Ken,

OK...FB...well we tweeked the 8 band eq with a little help...but still very poor...

Non issue I am using my Heil now...

If I were Flex I would not put a poor Mic like that in the box...gives a poor first impression.

Oh well, just venting a little..

LOVE the 6300 so far...

On 7138 right now...why not join us??

Lee

Photo of Eric W1NEJ

Eric W1NEJ

• 23 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Same here.  Got my 6300 last Tuesday (May 20).  What a great radio!  

But the hand mic is not good.....but it got me started.  Need to find a good mic.....can I use a 600 ohm balanced low impedance mic, like a Heil PR 22 in to the front panel mic connector, which is advertised to be an unbalanced HI-Z interface.  Now I wish I had not sold my EV RE20 with my old AM rig!
(Edited)
Photo of Ernest - W4EG

Ernest - W4EG

• 624 Posts
  • 122 Reply Likes

My result with the hand mike is as good as my Heil...

I am using the EQ with the hand mike and others can not tell the difference which mike it is.

I prefer the hand mike over the desktop Heil.

Photo of Steve - M3SXA

Steve - M3SXA

• 131 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
My first hand mike the slightest movement side to side make clicking and strange noises.... It was replaced by Flex radio and makes no clicks or clunks...
Photo of Lee

Lee

• 84 Posts
  • 19 Reply Likes

I think I have a bad one too...

I will ask them to replace it...and I expect they graciously will...

Loving the 6300...MAYBE I should upgrade to a 6500???

Lee

Photo of K2CM

K2CM

• 269 Posts
  • 18 Reply Likes
My Flex Mike works well. I did have to lower the audio gain a bit...I had it too high and my audio was distorted. After lowering the gain, the transmit audio got good reports.
Photo of K6NOK- Bill

K6NOK- Bill

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Check "Radio Setup" menu "Phone" tab. Try turning off "Bias" and turning off the "+20db gain" That may help.