Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Control out of control?

Randy Diddel
Randy Diddel Member
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hello,

5 days into the 6300, I am loving it.  I can see there is a long way to go with SmartSDR but I am willing to wait that out.  The RX is great and the filtering is amazing.  Was playing around in the NA QP today with filtering and such.  It will be a great contest/DX machine!

My problem:  When I spin the Flex Control, sometimes it just keeps going, and going, and going..... Once I had to shut down SmartSDR to get it to stop.  Anyone else have this issue?  I did some searching but could not find an answer or solution.

Thanks and 73

K5RHD

/randy

Answers

• Steve N4LQ
    Steve N4LQ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I've got the same setup here Randy but never heard of that happening. Almost sounds like the control is bad but little do I know. Let know what you find out.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    It happens sometimes if your video card is not quite up the the task.
    One helpful trick on Windows  7 & 8 is to go into Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers, and look at the COM port that runs the FlexControl Knob.
    Open its properties and find the tab that allows you to change the parameters that control the FIFO buffer.  Turn them  OFF or all the way down.  That way the serial port won't store up tics of the knob when it overruns the speed of the displays ability to shift the panadapter.

You can also slow down the FPS of the Display tam on the left side of the panel in SmartSDR.  I currently use AVG: (averaging) at about 30 and FPS of 15 and it still looks good.  This reduces the load on the CPU and video card a bit and seems to help on my computer.

For more info, search for articles about "Flex Control Knob Overrun" and similar titles here on the Community.

Ken - NM9P

• Randy Diddel
    Randy Diddel Member
    edited October 2015
    Thanks Ken, That really helped.  I adjusted both- 15FPS on the display and FIFO buffer off.  Works just how I would expect it to now.

Randy - K5RHD
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Just happened to me and followed the instructions and it's fine now thank you....
  • Paul Christensen, W9AC
    Paul Christensen, W9AC Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017

Ditto, and it works well while using FlexControl with DDUtil V3. 

Paul, W9AC 

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    This happens to me too when the slice receiver is at the right or left edge of the screen and the panadapter needs to scroll.  I sorta got in the habit of just scrolling the panadapter with my mouse so that the slice receiver is in the middle of the screen before touching the flexcontrol.  I'll try the trick mentioned above and see if it helps.
  • Randy Diddel
    Randy Diddel Member
    edited October 2015
    Robbie, Thanks!  I noticed that but did not pay much attention.  i will try it out when I get home this evening.
  • Bob G   W1GLV
    Bob G W1GLV Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    This has been an ongoing problem with SSDR. Many Flexers have complained about it. I personnaly have tried all the tricks but nothing seems to work.
  • Bill N3HQB
    Bill N3HQB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    The Contour USB Shuttle Xpress is a nice alternative.  Low profile, click detent.  No skipping or skating. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.