Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Control Knob physically siezed up.

Ken - NM9P
Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
edited June 2020 in SmartSDR for Windows
Hello, My Flex Control Knob has physically seized up. Something in the rotor. I took the knob off and I can hardly turn it with my fingers. I can't press the large knob switch, either. There was some black plastic-like residue on the internal shaft. Is there some product I should clean it with before filing a repair ticket? I know that these have a very good reputation for simplicity and reliability, so I think that there had to be a part that was defective from the start. I was giving me some trouble a month or so ago with a little stickiness, but I got it freed up. Now it is completely non-functional. Any takers?

Comments

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Ken, Looks like a possible hardware issue. I have converted this topic to a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution. If anyone else is experiencing an issue similar to this one, please submit a HelpDesk support ticket for issue resolution. In the mean time, you could try some aerosol electronics PCB or DeoxIT spray contact cleaner on it.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Thanks, Tim. I had thought of a drop of machine oil or wd40 but didn't want to do anything that might cause more damage. I hope I can get it repaired or replaced soon. I love that little knob!
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited June 2020
    I would not use wd40 but something that cleans electrical contacts like the DeoxIT spray
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    OK, Thanks.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I used some tuner cleaner on the shaft and it has loosened up enough to use tonight. It spins, but the switch does not work. Something in the shaft is messed up. I have filed a help desk ticket.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Update... Flex sent me a new one and I am returning the old one for failure analysis. Tim contacted me by email on the weekend and I got the new one just in time for the CQ 160 CW test! Customer Service is king at FRS. Thanks a lot!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.