Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

flex control

Would anyone recommend the flex control?
Was considering buying one for my 6500 but here in the UK it's double what you pay for one across the pond 125UK pounds ($210) or might just pop into FlexRadio HQ and collect one when I visit the states later in the year ;-)

Answers

• Steve Walker
    Steve Walker Member
    edited September 2016
    Hi Steve,

I have one and it is nice ~ OK, the actual knob works well with PSDR and SSDR but it is horses for courses - for £120 I would rather add a few pounds and get a TMate2 if I was being really really honest.

73 Steve

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    I can't imagine operating without one.  I have the FlexControl in my left hand and my big Kensington trackball in my right.  $210US is pretty dear however.  Picking one up on this side of the pond sounds like a good idea.

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Hi Steve,
    I have 2 FlexControls on my 6700 and use them for tuning and volume control.   I toggle one of them to use it for RIT when needed.   More detail and pics on this previous post.  

https://community.flexradio.com/flexradio/topics/ssdr_v1_2_new_flexcontrol_setting_allows_slice_volu...

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com 

• W9OY
    W9OY Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    I hope flex expands the knobs functionality to include variable types of button presses and the possibility to control memories in both a voice and cw keyer. When the knob was designed we had this working. K5FR also had a macro language so one button push would do several things. The knob has great potential power and is very useful even in its present state. I use mine all the time 73 w9oy
  • Brian_W9HLQ
    Brian_W9HLQ Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I run SmartSDR on a Windoze 8.1 laptop.  I use the FlexKnob with my left hand for fine tuning a station, such as search and pounce during a contest.  That frees my right hand for the mouse and keyboard operations.  I would not be without the knob for serious operation.  Get the knob for sure when you are in the States.  73, Brian W9HLQ
  • k0eoo
    k0eoo Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
    Yes, get a Flex control; I love mine, don't like tuning the radio with the the mouse wheel....
  • Ted_Spiegel_NX6C
    Ted_Spiegel_NX6C Member ✭✭
    edited March 2017
        The FlexKnob is a great addition to smoothly operate the radio.  I've always used knobs on radios and having one helps me adjust the frequency when I'm "tuning" around.  
        The mouse and the panadapters visual information allows me to point at a possible signal and 'pounce'.  I've got some very difficult DX contacts with the mouse only.  
        The FlexKnob is more fun for me when I just want to 'tune around'.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    Ditto the others' comments. I wouldn't be without it, unless someone ported the Hercules DJ Controller with all of its controls over to smartSDR. For me, in a contest, it is right hand on mouse and keyer paddles..left hand on FlexControl Knob....
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Another recommend for the flexcontrol.  I really like it.  I sometimes use click tuning, and then fine tune with mouse wheel.  However, I find that when I'm hunting for weak ones, the knob is really nice to slowly troll the band.  Having instant access to RIT is very handy too.  Can't wait to have all the features that I had on my 5K.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited October 2019

Steve,

Some where else in the forum I express my opinion about the FlexControl. I finally broke down and purchased a used Knob.  I can tell you that it is only part of the desk decoration. Although this morning a friend forward me an email from Stu regarding how you can increase the functionality of the FlexControl by using it with DDUtil. I will see how that will increase my usage and let the world know.

However, for now, I will rather use the mouse than the Knob!  I only use it to adjust the volume control.  The device has many options and in my opinion if you don't label them, they are useless.

I can perform better and faster with the mouse; and no I am not selling but I would suggest buy a use one for less that $75 bucks, try it and see if it is for you.

• Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    Many thanks to everyone for their views on the Flex Control, think I will eventually get one but not from the UK at that price.
  • Mike K5UX
    Mike K5UX Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Hi Steve,
    As you can see from the responses to your query......some folks wouldn't operate without it and then others prefer the mouse.  All of us came from the "knob" radio world, and I for one, really enjoy the ability to tune my slice or use some of the other functions you can program into the Flex Control.  I also used the FRS 1500, 3000 and 5000 without a "knob" and enjoyed operating those rigs via my trust LogiTech mouse.

Either way you go......you are going to have a very pleasant experience with your FRS 6500, should you decide to make the purchase.

Mike
    K5UX 
  • Walt Corey
    Walt Corey Member ✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Hi Steve, I got one when I purchased the 1500. What makes this response different than the others is I was told, by who I forgot, "that it was a crutch people used to ease away from the big dial syndrome".  Maybe, but I can't imagine using either the 1500 or the 6500 without it. I did see a reference to using the three buttons on top to select what it is the control controls. I like Al's use for volume. Mice are nice but for things like freq and volume, to name two, nothing beats one motion rather than 3 or 4.

Walt - kz1f
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I have one and I also had the Griffen knob before it...   I used the Griffen Knob for a day or so and immediately gave it away to a knob challenged ham... it was totally useles.s..

Frankly any knob really slows me down in a contest to have to take my hand off the mouse or a keyboard to twiddle the knob.  

I really prefer using a mouse over any knob..

The FlexControl have a few benefits.. mainly it keeps focus on your SmartSDR Screen while you need to move your mouse to that screen to control it...

In contesting, I find that the standard command that come with SmartSDR are not ideal..

However if you connect the FlexControl via DDUTIL.. you do gain enough functionality to make it useful...
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited June 2020
    Should have commented early but picked up the controller back in July from my short break in Vegas, and yes works well, mouse in left hand controller in right superb.....
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017

I forgot to take a FlexControl this weekend when heading off to do some portable operations from an Island.  Wasn't the only thing I forgot, though now I realize how much I use it with the home QTH Flex-6700 and will take it along with the Flex-6300 Portable setup in the future. 

With two radios I will need to standardize how I operate at some point, including software & hardware settings and macros. 

Having a FlexControl is an experience-improver and a recommended one at that!

Steve

K9ZW

• Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    You must be left handed. That's just the opposite of how I use mine...lol!

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I am gifted with two hands that function well. In other words... I am a leftie! I send CW and use a mouse right-handed and use the FlexControl Knob leftie! Most righties have a disadvantage.
  • Ernest - W4EG
    Ernest - W4EG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2015

I since have changed my mind and attitude about the FlexControl ...

No kidding... I've learned how to use it; after passing the learning curve. I am now looking for further functions in the up coming updates

I highly recommend it!

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am a Righty. Rarely if ever use the FlexControl as it gets in the way of the mouse Infinitely faster just using the mouse wheel/click in contests for tuning. Set the tune step to 500Hz. More than close enough for any SSB contest or even DX ... Albeit in DX pileup a, 250Hz step might be needed. Needles to say while I am also a digital guy, no interest whatsoever is human decoding CW.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    That's the beauty of the Flex, isn't it! We can have the best of both worlds... Knobs and GUI interface.... "Sometimes you feel like a knob...sometimes you don't!" (Sounds like a TV commercial.)
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    OT:- I wonder if 'knob' has the same slang meaning in the USA as it does in the UK ;-)? I am still in shock at hearing the maiden name of Peggy Bundy in Married with Children; that from a country that bleeps out '****', '****' and '****'. I am from the North of England and one of our common (and innocent) expressions means something very different and rude in London, where I currently live.

73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Guy Having lived in both UK and US, I can attest to the fact that the slang meanings are different.
  • Steve - M3SXA
    Steve - M3SXA Member
    edited February 2015
    You get a lot on the M25! ;-)
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Oh my! I have never heard that slang here in the Midwest, (though a moment's creative thinking can suggest a couple of meanings). But I have heard several others that surprised me... I guess it is true that the USA and the UK are two people separated by a common language!
  • Steve K9ZW
    Steve K9ZW Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016

There are a lot of cross-cultural nuances USA/UK, as there are even regionally in either country.  Not only street slang and insulting language is different and nuanced, but enough jargon and technical phrasing differences can work their way into become a team performance or even a safety issue.

There are very good web references and in the case of the USA/UK several dictionaries/guides in print.

One has to be careful to not apply their own native meanings when they imply something inappropriate, though you do have to watch out for mischief makers who purposely misspeak to "sneak one by."

For our UK friends this is a family-safe use of the word "knob" and there is no need to fret. 

Steve

K9ZW

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2014
    Here I thought he was referring to the Usage meaning Rich People like in "Knob Hill" in San Francisco.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.