Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6xxx and Ray's Voice Keyer

Ken K7YR
Ken K7YR Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Does someone have a set of comprehensive instructions of integrating Ray's Voice keyer to the 6XXX radios? Lots of discussion, but it is confusing.  Had it working on the 5000A but that was also difficult.

Ken K7YR

Answers

• Gary Robertson - KY5R
    Gary Robertson - KY5R Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    K9DUR VoiceKeyer Settings on my Flex-6500 Using DDutil 3.0

In the VoiceKeyer setting, I have "send message" set to DAX AUDIO TX1  and I have "monitor messages" set to DAX RESERVED AUDIO RX1. PTT Control is set to COM 6 with RTS selected. COM6 was setup using SmartCAT.

In SmartSDR, make sure that both the DAX and DAX IQ channels are set to 1 or whatever you are using and make sure that DAX is turned on (BLUE) in RX panel on right side of screen.

To monitor the VoiceKeyer message:

In the lower right of Windows, you will see a speaker symbol.....  if you left click (on your mouse) you can set speaker volume. Instead right click on the symbol, one option will be for recording devices.

Once you open recording devices, a window will popup with all your devices. Find the DAX RESERVED AUDIO TX1 device you're using,  highlight it and then click on properties:

A window will open with 4 tabs   --  click on the listen tab

click on  Listen to this device button

click OK,  OK   that's it  - you should now hear TX1 in your speakers.

Hope this helps!
  • Ken K7YR
    Ken K7YR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Gary,

I need to get to basics here,

(1) I need to set up some messages from the 6xxx to Audacity.  I can get receive audio to Aducity recording program but I can't find a microphone path from the 6xxx station microphone to audacity to create a .WAV program.  I had no problem with this with the Flex 5000A.

(2) After setting up some .WAV files I can copy them to the Voice Keyer and then attempt to get the voice Keyer to communicate to the radio.

Ken K7YR
  • Gary Robertson - KY5R
    Gary Robertson - KY5R Member ✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Currently, SmartSDR only provides a very simple recording and re-transmission of "received" audio. There is no way that you can record your voice using this simple feature on the 6000 series at this time. This will likely be corrected in the future so that it will operate in a manner similar to the way that it did in PowerSDR. 

I simply took existing .wav files that I had previously created while I was using my Flex-3000 and PowerSDR and re-used them to populate VoiceKeyer's various fields for transmitting my CQ, CQ DX, Call-sign, etc. I then configured VoiceKeyer as mentioned in my previous response so that it would properly operate with my Flex-6500 and SmartSDR. 
  • Ken K7YR
    Ken K7YR Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Hi Gary,

Just a note. After much experimentation I finally got the voice keyer to key the 6700 and pass audio.  Then I attempted to set up the monitor function.

After much screwing around, not finding and DAX RESERVED AUDIO RX1 listed, I lost all audio transfer from the keyer to the 6700.  Then I lost any listing of DAX AUDIO TX.  I finally figured was able to find that file, but still no joy. The radio Keying has never been an issue.

Now I am  not a computer novice.  My network currently consists of some six computers [Windows XP through Windows 8], three switches, my router is located at a remote location where I tie into the local Fiber Optic network via an access point on 2.4 GHZ.  But am not a Microsoft Geek.

While I really believe in the concept of file and program information sharing, seems to me that this concept appears to be a "black art" process that us common folks have difficulty successfully grasping implementation.

I had really hoped to be able to use the 6700 or 6300 on field day this year, but the prospect of doing so is very dim. 

I guess I should just go purchase standalone recording hardware for the microphone input to eliminate this frustration.

Flex has provided a far superior product, that will interface to many of the current digital modes,  However what is lacking is comprehensive information on how to get all this technology communicating to each other.  If I can't get this simple Keyer working, there is not much hope for me on other modes.

Thanks for your help, but after three of four days of screwing around chasing files and links, it's not much fun anymore.

Ken Rau  K7YR

• Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    i guess i'll have to dig out the microphone that came with my computer and make some .WAV files then load those into Ray's voice keyer. i might even be able to add a touch of reverb to the audio which should enhance readability some. 73
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    I have bitten the bullet and routed my station mic audio through a second sound card in the PC. to the line input on the 6500.. That way I am using the same mic for live and recorded audio.  Works with logging program software DVK's as wl as K9DUR's voice keyer.

AL, K0VM
  • Don WB3FTQ
    Don WB3FTQ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    i dug out my old MFJ voice keyer and need to replace the Foster connector on it but then it should be good to go. i know that's not the most elegant way to go, having a box hanging out of the mic connector on the front panel but it is, since i already have the keyer, the cheap and quick way to do it. i don't have a 2nd sound card or even a way to add one (no open usb ports and no more expansion slots open) so this will work until Flex releases ver. x.x.x of SmartSDR.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.