Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6700 to a Steppir SDA100 Controller

Steve Scoggins
edited November 2017 in SmartSDR for Windows
How do you connect the Flex 6700 to a Steppir SDA100 Controller so that the transceiver band/freq is sent automatically via the CAT interface. I have installed SmartCAT and was planning on using the Icom USB to CI-V cable. I have configured the SDA100 for Kenwood CAT commands. Baud Rate set to 9600. How do I setup SmartCAT to send the CAT commands to the Steppir SDA100 via the serial cable? 73 Steve N9HE

Answers

• KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    You can always use DDUTIL
  • Paul RN3A
    Paul RN3A Member
    edited September 2013
    I guess DDUtil is the answer, if you use just one SDA100 controller. If you have more than one, then you need to think about something different. DDUtil is great providing interfaces to many pieces of equipment you may have in your shack, but not all of it, like in my case. I am using quite complex combination of PowerSDR / SmartSDR, DDUtil and Eltima Serial Port splitter to address 3 SDA100 controllers, PAs and bunch of other stuff in the shack. This turned out to be very complex and difficult to maintain setup. But currently I don't see any other way how to do it. Try playing with DDUtil first, and see if it works for you.
  • Steve Scoggins
    edited September 2013
    The Flex 6700 does not use PowerSDR so I do not believe I can use DDUtil.
  • Paul RN3A
    Paul RN3A Member
    edited September 2013
    Steve, check out DDUtil version 3
  • Steve Scoggins
    edited September 2013
    Thanks for the reply. I have installed DDUtil Version 3 and now have it connected to the Flex 6700 via the SmartCAT software. I can see the radio information being displayed in the DDUtil windows. What are the settings in DDUtil to drive the SDA-100? Under Passive Listener setup select Kenwood Radio Type and setup the SDA-100 for the same type. Then 9600 baud for data rate. I have a USB to Serial Port Adapter that can be used with a custom cable to connect to the Data In port on the SDA-100.
  • Steve Scoggins
    edited September 2013
    I have the Flex 6700 talking to the Steppir SDA100 controller. I used the S12 9 Pin crossed serial cable ordered from Steppir. Also used a Keyspan USB to Serial Adapter. The DDUTIL settings are as follows: Passive Listener set for COM11 (Keyspan USB to Serial Adapter Com Port) Comm set to 9600 9-N-1 Follow PSDR checked and Radio Type Kenwood Make sure you configure your SDA-100 Controller Transceiver setup matches the above settings. 73 Steve Scoggins N9HE
  • Thom Baxter
    Thom Baxter Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Steve, I have not been able to get any combination to work. Are you using the top or bottom serial connector on the SDA 100. Under options are you using Remote Drive eq to yes or no? 73 Thom Baxter WI4USA
  • Steve Scoggins
    edited September 2013
    Tom I am using the top serial connector labeled Data In/Radio. I also have DDUtil talking to the Alpha 9500 Amplifier. You need to install SmartCAT and DDUtil. Steve Scoggins N9HE
  • Thom Baxter
    Thom Baxter Member ✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Are you using a standard D-sub 9-pin serial connector or is it specifically wired differently? I have tried the cable that came with the SDA100 and a standard cable to no avail. I have done all you said, but i have not been able to get the SDA 100 controller to change frequency at all. This same combination, without ddutil works fine on my FTDX5000. The only difference is the radio and the use of ddutil. By the way ddutil is able to see the flex and able to read the frequency. The ddutil is also able to control yaesu rotor no issue. It will however not control the sda 100. very weird. Any idea's?
  • Steve Scoggins
    edited September 2013
    The cable is a 9 pin serial cross connect cable Note Pin 2 to 3 and Pin 3 to 2 are cross connected. Pin 2 Blk ---- Pin 3 Pin 3 Red ---- Pin 2 Pin 5 Grn ---- Pin 5 Pin 7 and 9 jumpered on both connectors The cable is shielded with the shield connected to the metal D-Sub shell on both ends. This cable is available from Steppir as a S12 SDA100 to PC interface cable
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017

Are we connecting this cable to the Flex or the computer running DDutil?

• Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    To the computer running DDUtil..

AL, K0VM
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Does this mean that we always will need some kind of smart interface adjoining the Flex for complete remote control?
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    At present, YES.. 
    AL, K0VM

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.