Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEX-6700 on 2m?

Roger Thompson AD5T
Roger Thompson AD5T Member ✭✭
edited July 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
How are the 2m (and 4m) band selections supposed to function on the FLEX-6700 when the software is more mature? What added equipment is required to operate the transceiver on 2m? Will these bands only appear on the XVTR connector? Roger AD5T

Answers

• philip.theis
    philip.theis Member ✭✭
    edited December 2014
    I had only planned on using the 144 region for use as an IF to higher microwave bands, but while at Central States VHF Conference I saw that there are other manufacturers plans to take the 0 dbm level out of the 6000 and deliver 30 and 60 watt outputs, your choice.
  • Mike W8MM
    Mike W8MM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I'm looking at a "2-pallet" LDMOS amplifier (Beko HLV-2000) that needs around 8W drive. Commercially available 8-10W P1dB amps are ~$500-700, but they're Class A and should have pretty good IMD. They're plug-and-play without a large engineering exercise. I'd love to know who are the Flex-6700 booster-amp players? Care to name names? The DownEast 2M30PA might be a good starting point, but I'd have to buy one to test for gain stability, IMD, etc at 0 to +5 dBm input. I've also thought about buying a 2M30PA and replacing the S-AV33 with a Mitsubishi RA13H1317M RF module that looks OK for my application (right INPUT P1dB, etc.) and wouldn't be able to fry the input of my LDMOS amp.
  • Tim K8XS
    Tim K8XS Member
    edited August 2013
    I initially thought the 2 meter capability would be similar to the 2 meter capability of the Flex 1000. That is, it could be used as a transverter IF but it would not have enough gain to function as a 2 meter receiver. Boy was I wrong. I tried out the 2 meter capability of my 6700 and I find it as sensitive as any other 2 meter receiver. According to the specs, the noise figure of the VHF preamp is 2.5dB which is more than suitable for most 2 meter work. For weak signal work, a mast-mounted preamp will set the system noise figure. I love it.
  • Steve-N5AC
    Steve-N5AC Community Manager admin
    edited February 2017
    The FLEX-6x00 radios do not have integrated amplifiers capable of providing "real power" on either 2m or 4m. Both of these bands, therefore, are only output from the exciter which is only available on the XVTR port (just select this as the transmit port). The output for both bands is a nominal +5dBm. As a practical matter, most radios will produce something like +7dBm on 2m before compression and on 4m I would bet it is around +13dBm, but I've not measured it. The output power is calibrated in dBm. Steve

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.