Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

FLEX 6500 + Pixel Pro 1-B Magnetic Loop= WINNER!!!

Options
Dave-N9CHM
Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
For anyone thinking about using a Magnetic Loop RX antenna, please check out my QRZ info. The combination of the Loop RX antenna with my 6500 is pretty amazing, at least on 40M-160M (haven't played much above 40M yet with the Pixel). If you like to work weak copy DX or just weak stateside (or just enjoy ragchew in noisy conditions, like me), this is a match made in heaven!! Double Bazooka With Pixel loop

Comments

• K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I was working on a comparison of my Windom to that as well. Check out my pictures here. http://www.flickr.com/photos/ozy311/sets/72157635374662836/
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Options
    I have the Pixel. I've been waiting for the antenna switching to be worked out. Today I've been busy working, so I've not installed 1.x. Please pass on any information you would offer on using the Pixel on my 6700, especially the use of the antenna switching. Thanks, Jim, W5HFS
  • Jim Bryce W5HFS
    Jim Bryce W5HFS Member ✭✭
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Another question. How do you have your Pixel installed. Is it a few feet off the ground or high up? If high up, how to you protect it from static discharges, lightening? Do you have a means of rotating? How, and with what results. Thanks, Jim, W5HFS
  • Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    So what is your opinion, based on your observations and realizing the RX characteristics of either antenna (gain-lobe patterns especially with the Windom)? It seems the Loop does play better on the lower freqs especially.
  • Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Jim, I have the details on at my QRZ info page (including the relay switching setup), but quickly, I had the Pixel at 30' with a rotator for 3-4 days, then moved it to the back yard on a 7' mast (no rotator yet). The Loop seems to be a little quieter near the ground, as others have said was their experience. The Loop has definite nulls, as expected, so I may add a rotor soon, but will keep it near the ground. At night the atmospheric skip signals are more omnidirectional with the loop. Don't have any real lightning protection, but since it's in dense woods on a fiberglass mast, not really worried about that yet. I will be grounding the shield of the RG6 quad shield to my single point ground system in the future. At night I will probably use the LoopA RX mode so the Loop will be the main RX antenna on 40-160M no matter which band/antenna I transmit on, just really depends on the station you're trying to RX, but that's my general plan.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    Read my comments on my flickr pictures for details per band. Above 40m, the windom is a better performer, BUT... and here is the big reason why I bought it... When local QRM appears due to neighbors having evil electronics, switching to the Loop is a life saver, regardless of the few dB loss of signal.
  • Dave-N9CHM
    Dave-N9CHM Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Sorry, didn't scroll down far enough...
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I have my Windom on ANT1 and the loop on RX B in so I can use both preselectors on SCU1 and SCU2. Also make sure to use the TX relay to the power injector on the Loop unless you have it a good distance away. I have it sitting within 10 feet, and even on moderate power levels, the TX signal reaches a dangerous level on the Flex's RX-B. Please test it yourself. I asked a few months ago about the limits to watch for.
  • K6OZY
    K6OZY Member ✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
    I have mine at 5 Feet. I tried 10 feet and didn't see any significant difference. Since I'm in an HOA, it isn't worth the risk being reported for 10' vs 5'.
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    The radio's reverse power detection clicks in at around +18 dBm. I have run the radio for many hours with +20 dBm on the input with no damage before engaging reverse power protection. With the preamp off, you can receive signals up to about +9 dBm.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.