Flex 6300 digital tx/rx audio handling via LAN

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
I'm currently in the order Q for a 6300 and currently doing my homework in preparation for setting it up.

Tim indicated in a previous posting that "DAX is NOT intended to be used for remote access but for operating digital modes."   I've also watched Greg's video on setting up DAX.

Like a growing number of hams, I pre-process tx audio in software and transport it directly to a Kenwood TS-590 via a audio codec enabled usb connection.  More about that at  http://www.k4qky.com/audio-handling/digital-audio-processing-for-the-590 .  

Will I be able to do this with the 6300 as well?    If not, is this functionality being contemplated for a future SmartSDR update?
Photo of Donald J Snodgrass

Donald J Snodgrass

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Paul Christensen, W9AC

Paul Christensen, W9AC, Elmer

• 313 Posts
  • 132 Reply Likes

Don,

You can assign your audio processing software to a DAX channel in Windows, then select DAX as the audio source in SSDR.  I am using a 6700 but I suspect the 6300 has the same capability although this should be validated by a 6300 user. 

What may be missing at this time is the ability to engage the MON function in SSB while transmitting through DAX.  Latencies may be problematic anyway and for the time being, it may be advisable to create a headphone feed by mixing DAX Rx audio with the input to the mic audio processing channel.   

Paul, W9AC

Donald J Snodgrass

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for your input Paul...

Hopefully the ASIO4all driver I use together with processing software will minimize the latency issue.    Confirming your comment about MON functionality, I found a posting from Tim saying "MON is not available with DAX at this time. "   He went to say that the MON function can potentially degrade the digi modes.    None-the-less, the MON feature for DAX will eventually become necessary especially for  remote operations.    In the interim, I will resort to other means to monitor the output quality from my software based tx audio processing systems. 
Photo of Mike Hoing

Mike Hoing

• 243 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
It has a great on board audio mixer. I get great reports with my Heil mic and the inboard EQ

Mike
N9DFD

Donald J Snodgrass

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Mike...

I'm aware of the rig's extensive internal processing capabilities.    However, being an audio experimenter,  I prefer to process tx audio externally.    This is not to say that my way is any better than yours... just a different way of audio processing and one that provides me an avenue for greater experimentation which I enjoy.    

Don

K4QKY
http://www.k4qky.com/hamradio/