Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6300 and Tokyo Hy Power HL-1.5Kfx Amplifier

Charlie
Charlie Member ✭✭
edited March 2020 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
It seems that I am having an issue with possible spikes from the 6300 while using my Tokyo Hy Power amplifier.  Running into a dummy load when the 6300 is keying the amplifier at times the amplifier will go into protect mode (error Pr - reflected power exceeds 80W).  I also have an Icom 7600 and connected the amplifier back to this radio and it works fine.  No error at all.  I understand that ALC has not yet been implemented on the 6000 series but this is not good at all. I cannot use my amplifier with the Flex if it is producing some type of spike.  Any suggestions on what to try so I can use my amplifier?  Thanks.

Answers

• Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Charlie,

Are you sure your dummy load is okay? The fact you are faulting for reflected power sure seems to be an antenna/load problem to me. Does it do the same thing when loading your antenna?

Perhaps you are driving the amp harder with the Flex. How are you controlling the drive level of the Flex? I use DDutil and autodrive to manage the power from my Flex to my amp.

Jon...kf2e
  • Charlie
    Charlie Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Jon: The dummy load and antenna are fine.  I have no problem with the Icom 7600 and the amplifier using the same antenna. I was not even using the ALC with the 7600 and have no problem with any errors. It only occurs with the Flex. I am using CW and the error occurs even when transmitting 30 watts or so. I can only get 70 watts max in CW from the Flex which is a known issue.

I don't see Tokyo Hy Power listed in DDUTIL so I don't know if I can control the amp with DDUTIL.
  • Jon_KF2E
    Jon_KF2E Member ✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Charlie,

I don't have any other ideas on your fault. I'm confused how high reflected power on the amp's output could be caused by the radio. Assuming you are using the same output for the Flex and the Icom it doesn't make sense.

As for using DDutil...check this link for info setting it up. I haven't done it myself but it looks pretty straight forward.

Jon...kf2e

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
         Hi, Charlie,
                  I'm using the THP 1.5K  with a 6500 via DDUTIL.  It works very well.
         I don't use ALC or DDUTIL power management, but I have an LP-100 to
         monitor output levels.

Hang in there,

Ned,  K1NJ
  • Tony Taddeo
    Tony Taddeo Member
    edited March 2020
    I use a HL-1.2KFX with a 6700, hardware ALC enabled and I have no issues. Try enabling hardware ALC and setting your TX delay to 15ms.

Regards
    Tony
  • Hage
    Hage Member
    edited November 2015
    Hi, Charlie
    I have the same trouble for several months.
    My Amp is HL-2.5K which works well  both Ic9100 and Ts480.
    Now, I use the Flex6700  only on SSB .
    Have you had any solutions?

Hage 
  • Art, N4PT
    Art, N4PT Member ✭✭
    edited May 2018
    I have been using the 6500 with THP 1.5k for a while now. I have found that in cw mode ( breakin) I need to keep the P/CW delay to 5 ms or less with no tx delay in the settings/transmit tab. In SSB no tx delay. 
    Art N4PT
  • Jean Drolet
    Jean Drolet Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    it is possible to connect the Tokyo Hy-power directau flex6300 ... I would like to use my flex6300 remote
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Yes you can. You have to use a USB cable for CAT input. Set it on the amp to kenwood.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.