Flex 6300 ACC jack VGA NO NO

• Idea
  • Updated 5 years ago
Don't do as I did and try to use a monitor cable to make your ACC cable. I wanted pin 4 for cw keying and pin 10 for ground. Actually pin 4 in a monitor cable is in fact ground (shield). I ended up salvaging the plug by taking it apart and soldering on a pair of wires. On the other end I use a board with 8 RCA jacks to connect my keys.
Photo of Steve N4LQ

Steve N4LQ

• 568 Posts
  • 92 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Dale KB5VE

Dale KB5VE

• 415 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
You can buy the connector at RadioShack and run multiple wires out. I did one on my flex 3000 and d
5000. I used it to do several things. They sell the connector and the cover.
Photo of Al / NN4ZZ

Al / NN4ZZ

• 1853 Posts
  • 672 Reply Likes
Steve,
I ran into the same thing and found a straight through extension cable for an interface/breakout box I made to access all of the accessory data lines.  I use it to connect to the PC for keying and to connect my straight key .   If interested in the details, I have a a document with pictures, parts, etc.   -- email me off line.

Here is the DB15 cable I used.  At $4.25 each it was worth the time savings, just cut off one end and all 15 lines are available. 

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
al (at) nn4zz (dot) com

Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 287 Reply Likes
I bought the radio shack plug and brought the wires out to the little radio shack project circuit board 
Photo of Bob Wright, N7ZO

Bob Wright, N7ZO

• 279 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
I've been using the Winford DB-15HD slim breakout board and adding individual cables as needed.

http://www.winfordeng.com/products/brksd15hd.php

It makes additions and changes easy with just a screwdriver.  I like using individual cables as the different connections tend to be going in different directions anyways.

(Edited)
Photo of AE0MW

AE0MW

• 105 Posts
  • 29 Reply Likes
If you cut both ends off of a good VGA cable it's very nice, almost ideal wire for the job though. Good ones have 3 internally shielded wires (For R G and B) that you can re purpose for MIC, L, and R. There are also several other wires you can use for generic signaling.