Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex6700 has decided to be 400hz off freq in the upwards direction.

Flex after v2 software upgrade has decided to recalibrate around 400hz up in tx freq..Ie rx 7.162.000 TX 7162.400....Was perfect prior to upgrade so I can only guess that there is a calibration technique, tried the 15mhz calibration, no change, but its 2am in Australia, propogation is pretty terrible, any suggestions Cheers Brenton VK3CM Tangambalanga North East Victoria Australia

Answers

• Mack
    Mack Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2019
    Select enter another frequency like 10 MHz or any WWV or other frequency standard. Hit calibrate.

Mack
    W4AX
    Alpha Team
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I highly recommend running the calibration after every software update. Also, try to run it on the highest frequency you can receive. A calibration at 10MHz is good but one at 15MHz is better.

Ria
  • Brenton Meadows
    edited August 2017
    Saved by the 5 mhz time signal on 5 mhz........Problem solved........sets at offset as -3 as an indicator.
    Also have N1MM pan adaptor working tonight, unreal tool, still a few questions, but at 2am,tie to sleep....Thanks fellow Flex owners, sorry to bother you on this one, we worked it out 30 seconds after we listed the question. 
  • Brenton Meadows
    edited November 2019
    ahhhhhhhhhh ria, your a gem, we only just beat you but your answer was 100% correct, as per usual, I need a hotline to you.....cheers from australia, and off for some well earned sleep, spent half the night on technical problems with Israelis, great mates of mine but boy, it took us hours sorting out some issues.  I told them at 1am I was going to bed, But the Flex kept me up playing.
    Did some great tests with Version 2 today with some encryption software, worked beautifully....
    Also, have you played with N1MM 's software, just started, looks like a full pack of options.
    Thats it Ria, sleep, cya Brenton VK3CM
    Position and Navigation Systems Australia

• Brenton Meadows
    edited July 2017
    PS....in the morning, we will have good propagation to redo the calibration on 15 mhz....thanks heaps......
  • Michael - N5TGL
    Michael - N5TGL Member ✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Hi Ria,

Do you ever have a problem with SSDR forgetting the offset?  Seems that every time I go look there, it's at 0...and it's not from updating the software.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    I have not had that issue. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Not a problem. Just remember me when I visit. :)
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited November 2019
    My 6700 manual says refer to to the software manual for directions to calibrate the rig but I don't see it... where might I find these instructions??
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited August 2017
    Chapter 31 in the SmartSDR Software User's Guide
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited August 2017
    I give.. I have gone over Chpt 31 which is of 146 in my manual ver 2.0.17 and it covers waveforms I see nothing about calibration... where did I go wrong??
  • Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE
    Jeffrey Kerber, N3VE Member ✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Rita has the answer above.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited August 2017
    Unfortunatly not the whole answer
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    I think Tim meant the 'old' 1.10.X manual -- section 31.10.  There's a very brief description there of hitting the 'Start' button, but it isn't clear how you go about 'setting the radio' to the calibration frequency.  Again, a little more detail for us 'newbies' would be a big help.
  • AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited August 2017
    Thanks.... not very clear
  • VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Got it figured out.  Best bet is to open up the Band selector and tap on the WWV button.  This will automatically set you on 15.0000 Mhz.  Make sure that WWV's signal is audible -- doesn't have to be completely clear, but at least should be 4x6 or so....
    Then, go to Settings menu (at the top), Select Radio Setup, then the Rx tab.  With the radio still tuned to 15.Mhz, the  value in the Cal Freq box should be "15".  Then click on the Start button, and the radio will chug away recalibrating itself to 15.0000 Mhz.  When all done, you should see a new value in the Offset box.  When that shows up, you're all done!

• AH0U
    AH0U Member
    edited August 2017
    Thanks... it only took a second and now shows a zero in offset so I guess it's OK
  • Brenton Meadows
    edited August 2017
    HI Ria, my wife says guest room prepared and always welcome....OK, so back to technical fun, I was spot on with my 5 mhz signal last night, many thanks, but being in  engineering, its hard not to play, so I hit wwv, set 15 mhz, back to 200khz high doh!!!!!! Why do Australian boffins like me have to play, answer, too much time on our hands haha.  Two of our visiting engineers just left back to their country of origin and Im thankful that they didnt see me "playing" as all test went well for the sites in the country Matt is aware of.  OK, back to normality, do I just go back and do my 5mhz tune tonight, or am I doing something wrong with the 15mhz signal.  It automatically goes to USB that sounds correct, redult is 0 offset, could my N1MM screen above be playing with its normally alone process.  I can see on the N1MM software the TX cal moving back and forth.  Might just shut down n1mm as 15 mhz with a 16 element optibeam pointed at it is 10db over 9 so thats great, and should provide excellent referencing.  And Ria, do you like the snow, we have lots of it right now....Look up Tangambalanga, we are at 102 hogan lane, 5 acres slowly being covered in Antennas but we are so close to Falls Creek Snowfields, we love taking guests up to the snow, we tell them we own it all of course, havent had one believer yet....One day we will strike someone gullible enough haha....Anyways, always welcome, plenty of room here,my son is a ham, I think I said this before, and my wife(to be)(pressure to get that wedding done soon)  she really is my gem, shes just some one you will love. SO put Australia on your visit list, we can pick you up from Melbourne, its only 3 hours save you catching a train...  ok, back to fiddling before my team find out Im not as smart as I tell them I am....Im really not haha....cya
  • Brenton Meadows
    edited August 2017
    ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh removed the n1mm while calibrating, beautiful, monitored on the Icom 7850, perfect......Thanks again Ria, cheers Brenton VK3CM
  • Brenton Meadows
    edited August 2017
    PS offset in PPB -1470 with N1MM software removed....

• Brenton Meadows
    edited August 2017
    spoke too soon, should have left it alone but back to rx aok, TX 100hz high, I suspect I need a stronger calibration signal on 5 or 15 mhz.  Still playing while you guys are sleeping.  Its not a biggie, just a small issue to sort out.  Got the IPad connected today to the Flex6700 , now thats amazing, even with my little 100hz issue, people were aok as I would just tune to 7.104.9 to get a perfect result on 7.105 both ways.  Ipad software works beautifully, some need to now get cracking on upgrades to routers, extended wifi systems for this 5 acre property.  The fun is only just beginning, even my 13 year old ham who has had his license since he was 10 years old is totally intrigued, especially when I said about the internet upgrades....Im no fool, hes thinking gaming, not radio haha...But good to see him show some interest in Ham radio as well, good balance with hit IT aspirations.
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
  • Brenton Meadows
    edited August 2017
    HI Ria
    tried recalibrate on every time signal known to man, consistently 100hz high on tx, so I am just dropping my 7105 to 7.104.9 and everyone on the net is happy. So, my beautiful fixer of all things Mrs Ria, Im missing something simple, checked xit rit etc, that would have been an easy fix, but its happening on both the computer with dual screens etc and the Maestro and until my one day old ipad's software expired after paying $79.99 yesterday, it was doing exactly the same thing.  Not frustrated by any of this, using it more as a learning curve as we are busy working on a project in the middle east and we have 17 sites in a particular country ready to go and my engineers are just laughing at me as they get the hard work to do, and I refuse to let them look at this, two of them were over from Israel a few days ago staying at my snow fields property, actually it was working perfectly then, but they are in Singapore with team members right now and I suspect over a **** saying, do you know our Aussie guy has got himself 100hz off and is still trying to work it out...Hopefully they dont read forums haha. They are just too smart, my spidey sense says they know Im in trouble.   Small issue thank goodness...

This is a game of pride versus anything, and these two are smart engineers, both ex Motorola GSM designers, extremely smart but I have to beat them on this one, otherwise the next **** is on me....I could tell you some stories of singapore parties with these two that actually thinking about it, my secret is safe, I have video evidence on there attempt to dance with 2 russian women in a Singaporean club, wasnt pretty.  And I warned them, they were not the girls were not there to make friends for fun.  They came back to me shocked when $500USD was mentioned, haha, I learnt a long time ago, 45 countries ive travelled through, be polite, but honour the woman you love back at home, you will also live a lot longer. One of the international companies i have been employed by and affiliated with for most my life made us all do a 2 day course on all the things that wont **** you but will haunt your life forever.  Some of our staff slept through it, me, I couldn't believe the risk some men are taking, let aone the greater issue of respect for wives back home.   To be fair, my two Israeli buddies,  they were not looking to do anything but dance however I still have it on video, you can see when the the russian girls hit them up, its priceless.  When they got hit up for $500USD, their faces just went, bye!!!!!!....

OK Ria, gossip aside, save my **** here, I can camouflage my error with my rit/xit 100hz trick on the remote modules etc, but my 6700 has somehing that is not quite in tune with the other 1000's of others out there, and I probably caused it.  Any of your thoughts appreciated, and the rest of the group of course, unless your one of two israeli engineers, remember, I have the video...haha
    Cheers
    Brenton VK3CM Tangambalanga North East Victoria Australia
    PS, if anyone has any good IOS background, (I dont) check out my post re locked up Smart Sdr IOS etc...Any help welcomed.
  • Brenton Meadows
    edited August 2017
    and buggered it up again after it was working perfectly....see above post to ria...doh!!!!!!
    VK3 anonymous....cant admit to this much stupidity, it was working perfectly, then I had to play, couldnt leave perfect alone...

• Brenton Meadows
    edited August 2017
    HI Tim,  Admittedly, this is one of the more simple operations of the Flex that 5 year olds can do, at 52, no matter what offset results from the UT signal, im not seeing correct calibration only on both Rx and TX where befoe I have said TX.  Brain now in gear.  rx, thats well, not ok, because if I have to drop to from 7.105 to 7.104.9,  suppose I have basically moved both the TX and RX down 100Hz, (by the way now 200hz after playing with time signals.  (The signal from the last chinese time signal was admittedly a bit low)

You all on here are so helpful its not funny, I'm more mad at myself as at one point, i had a good strong time signal get me right on frequency while i had no N1mm software running.  Is there any other area I could be missing, apart from the time synchronizing/calibration?   At your xmas party, you can say, hey we had this 20 year veteran of Motorola who couldnt setup a simple freq calibration, I know lots of Motorolans names to use instead of mine haha.  No stress re time, we will work it out with you guys, I obviously am presetting my xit to trick it or you could use the rit the reverse way, but its one of those moments down under where you go, mmmmmm what am I missing, its something simple...
    Hey, by the way, you do a great job over there, I see a lot of your comments, we should have head hunted you 10 years ago when my business partner was yelling at Malaysians to learn English and follow his directions...We were heavy into GPS TAxi/couriers/Defense etc)He ended up learning fluent bahasa Malay, marrying a muslim malay wife helped that issue.  Hes Australian as well, we are good on football scores when our team is winning, no where to be seen when our team is down 5 goals haha...We now are primarily only defense contractors, I still support Tom at Optibeam and Val At Acom for the Asia Pacific region but they are great mates anyway.  We have been doing deals with them since the early 2000 era.  A lot of gear does not always go to hams from these two suppliers, both are very versatile, overworked like the flex team, but very very versatile. 
    cheers Brenton VK3CM/VK5BM Tangambalanga North East Victoria Australia
    PS...I love what you have done with Version 2, I dont think a lot of people understand the hours, previous beta testing and then the hours of tightening up the package after the fact.  Great Job Tim and to your team, holding a product back a little, very wise choice.  Every time we bow to our clients time restraints, we always regret it, and now, even if we are into penalty clauses, we just have to wear them as they are going to hit us with them anyway if the package has even one flaw in it.  Better to do the job right first, V2 is a great example of Flex and its team using the 7 levels of engineering we were all taught and applying them..
  • Brenton Meadows
    edited August 2017
    HI Tim,  Admittedly, this is one of the more simple operations of the Flex that 5 year olds can do, at 52, no matter what offset results from the UT signal, im not seeing correct calibration only on both Rx and TX where befoe I have said TX.  Brain now in gear.  rx, thats well, not ok, because if I have to drop to from 7.105 to 7.104.9,  suppose I have basically moved both the TX and RX down 100Hz, (by the way now 200hz after playing with time signals.  (The signal from the last chinese time signal was admittedly a bit low)

You all on here are so helpful its not funny, I'm more mad at myself as at one point, i had a good strong time signal get me right on frequency while i had no N1mm software running.  Is there any other area I could be missing, apart from the time synchronizing/calibration?   At your xmas party, you can say, hey we had this 20 year veteran of Motorola who couldnt setup a simple freq calibration, I know lots of Motorolans names to use instead of mine haha.  No stress re time, we will work it out with you guys, I obviously am presetting my xit to trick it or you could use the rit the reverse way, but its one of those moments down under where you go, mmmmmm what am I missing, its something simple...
    Hey, by the way, you do a great job over there, I see a lot of your comments, we should have head hunted you 10 years ago when my business partner was yelling at Malaysians to learn English and follow his directions...We were heavy into GPS TAxi/couriers/Defense etc)He ended up learning fluent bahasa Malay, marrying a muslim malay wife helped that issue.  Hes Australian as well, we are good on football scores when our team is winning, no where to be seen when our team is down 5 goals haha...We now are primarily only defense contractors, I still support Tom at Optibeam and Val At Acom for the Asia Pacific region but they are great mates anyway.  We have been doing deals with them since the early 2000 era.  A lot of gear does not always go to hams from these two suppliers, both are very versatile, overworked like the flex team, but very very versatile. 
    cheers Brenton VK3CM/VK5BM Tangambalanga North East Victoria Australia
    PS...I love what you have done with Version 2, I dont think a lot of people understand the hours, previous beta testing and then the hours of tightening up the package after the fact.  Great Job Tim and to your team, holding a product back a little, very wise choice.  Every time we bow to our clients time restraints, we always regret it, and now, even if we are into penalty clauses, we just have to wear them as they are going to hit us with them anyway if the package has even one flaw in it.  Better to do the job right first, V2 is a great example of Flex and its team using the 7 levels of engineering we were all taught and applying them..
  • Brenton Meadows
    edited August 2017
    have tried all the time signals ie 5,10,15 and propagation now a few hours into the evening a lot better, unfortunately, each attempt brings around the same reult of a high of 200hz? Strange one for sure.

• Brenton Meadows
    edited August 2017
    is there away of tricking the offset in ppb manually?
    ie 120hz equals an offset of ???? ppb.
    or an internal osc that can be set to sort the small 120hz, I imagine not being SDR.
    We are all qualified here to do what we have t do but just want to follow your instructions as best as possible.  The time signal is a good 5 x 9 on 5mhz but still offset is around 120hz high.  Going to check around 2am again and see how propagation is with al tie signals. I have a conference call with Motorola anyway, so I will see how we go.
    cheers
    Brenton
  • Tim - W4TME
    edited August 2017
    Please open a HelpDesk issue if you are continuing to have issues.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.