Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex3000 Manual update ???

Kuby, N6JSX
Kuby, N6JSX Member
edited April 2019 in FLEX Series (Legacy) Radios
When will the Flex3000 manual reflect PowerSDR updates? Current manual is dated 2010 and the latest PwrSDR is 12/2013, much has changed since then (like TNF).

Also Flex 'requires' PwrSDR user PC to be connected to the web to use 'Get Help', this is a bold requirement and not always feasible. It would be much better if there is a F1-key to bring up a on-board .chm manual!

Answers

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Kuby -  I want to properly set your expectation in regards to the PowerSDR documentation.  We are fully aware that the manuals are out of date for PowerSDR.  There are a lot of areas in the manuals that require updates and the amount of effort to complete that project for all four radios that use PowerSDR is not trivial.  We had to make the difficult business decision to allocate our resources in other areas that we feel is more beneficial to a greater number of customers at this current time.  This doesn't mean that we will never update the PowerSDR manuals, it means that in the short term it is not to be expected. Sorry.

While the manuals are out of date, availability to up to date information on PowerSDR is not.  This is one of the reasons we inured the expense and resources to deploy and maintain a user Community; to allow for the ability to get the information you need from users and FlexRadio employees.  Having out of date manuals without a resource like the Community would not be satisfactory.

In regards you the Get Help question, official help is provided by our HelpDesk and that is an Internet based service.  We will consider using chm files in a future version of PowerSDR.
  • Kuby, N6JSX
    Kuby, N6JSX Member
    edited April 2016
    "difficult business decision to allocate our resources in other areas that we feel is more beneficial to a greater number of customers", I assume this decision was made in 2010 and has not been revisited?

I've seen one white-paper on TNF.  "up to date information on PowerSDR is not", shouldn't your Programmers create white-papers on each PwrSDR release to insure changes/conditions are properly communicated to your faithful customers? By implying this Community is the source of change data assumes the subject is easily found, and complete in its writing. And assumes newbies, like me, know where/what to look for and then we must **** through good/smart & bad/ignorant user comments that may steer us astray. 

Does Flex have a Sustaining ENG group for legacy (non-6000) products? Or is Flex totally focused on 6000's.

Kuby, MS-EET, N6JSX

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited December 2016
    Thank you for your comments.

Yes, we have resources allocated to PowerSDR sustaining engineering for bug fixes and minor enhancements.

If you do not want to use the Community, you are always welcome to submit a HelpDesk support ticket for answers to your questions.

-Tim
  • Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Kuby, I agree with you that we need to update the PowerSDR(TM) manuals.  I am working on a plan to do so but I am not ready yet to commit to a date.

As Tim has stated, we do allocate resources to sustaining engineering of PowerSDR. In fact, I think I am correct that we have done four releases since the FLEX-6000 Series was announced.  PowerSDR is a mature product so we will continue to provide ongoing bug fixes and minor enhancements as Tim has stated.  

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.