flex1500 software upgrade

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
Does anyone at flex have an ideas as to when a new version of the powerSDR will be available ? I have no hope of upgrading to another model, so am stuck in the groove
Photo of John

John

• 432 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Bob G   W1GLV

Bob G W1GLV

• 646 Posts
  • 107 Reply Likes
I think the big issue here is that FRS spoiled a whole bunch of people during the development of PSDR. Updates to PSDR were on or about a six week schedule and people got use to that. These people think it should continue forever. Software development is very expensive. K1PGV hit the nail on the head. I'm enjoying both my 1500 and 6500.
Photo of Mike - WB8CXO

Mike - WB8CXO

• 54 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Bob, spot on and nicely said! Thanks
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1253 Posts
  • 651 Reply Likes

The Flex-1500 is really a neat radio, and as is with the present release of PowerSDR is a great value.

The discontinued Flex-5000 & Flex-3000 radios as second hand purchases, again using the latest PowerSDR version, are great performance values in SDR when based on keeping investment low.

It is doubtful that any new features will be coded into PowerSDR unless done by a 3rd party programmer or as a "fork" where use of the non-public domain parts of PowerSDR have been secured.

Lacking such developments best guess and only reasonable assumption is what you have is what it will be. 

Personally I wouldn't count on newer versions of Windows remaining stable with the Flex-1500/3000/5000 and PowerSDR over the next ten years.  Mostly the drivers needing to match/work and the slow fade in availability of the IEEE 1394 Firewire port for the 3000/5000 interconnect are the problems one can see getting in the way.

Buying into a Flex-1500 and PowerSDR 2.7.2 here and now with an expectation of some new big launch of additional features has to be frustrating, as FlexRadio Systems has never even hinted there was any major upgrade in the works. 

While a major upgrade may be wishful thinking, there is no denying the Flex-1500 with PowerSDR 2.7.2 is a lot of fun and can really knock out some contacts.  For the price point the combination has a lot to recommend itself over.

One also wonders if somebody might hardware hack a Flex-1500 along the way with a custom rolling of PowerSDR adding a lot to the combination all told - but again just wishing for it doesn't mean it is at all likely to happen.  I kind of think the energy to do so would be better spent on a SmartSDR add-in package than futzing with custom PowerSDR versions.

Steve

K9ZW

http://k9zw.wordpress.com

(Edited)
Photo of John

John

• 432 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
well, I asked for and got a copy of the code but getting started after many years break and a new GUI et al is making me pull grey hairs out. I dont know if I will ever get the hang of anything but turbo c++ LoL.
Having siad that, I came across dl2tw website where he has had a play with it running visual studio 8 instead of the olde version 3 it was written in. But as they say, its time to dig in the heels and play.
Photo of John

John

• 432 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
I looked at the price of VS12 and VS8 and its out of my pocket range. I can get VS 8 for around £300.
Now I was intending to try and port my old vb6 app to windows phone, but then the prices put me off VS12 I can use on a 3 month trial. So, without VS8 I cannot even begin to play with the powerSDR.
Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 541 Posts
  • 315 Reply Likes

John: The PowerSDR code base is written and maintained using VS 2008, IIRC.  You can download a free copy of Visual Studio Express, and that'll work fine for you.

For a more modern toolset, you can download Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition -- which is even more powerful and still free -- and you'll be all set.  This is the toolset you'll want to use if you try to write anything for Windows Phone.

Photo of John

John

• 432 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
VS8 is not free and vs13 I downloaded for a 3 month trial. I think I need vs8.
Photo of Peter K1PGV

Peter K1PGV, Elmer

• 541 Posts
  • 315 Reply Likes

OK, I see what's happened:  Because it is so old, it is no longer easy to find Visual Studio 2008 Express Edition for download. For example, here's the link to "Visual C# Express Edition" Google is your friend. Express Edition of all the Visual Studio parts have always been free. 

A couple of months back, Microsoft released Visual Studio 2013 Community Edition which is a full version of the latest version of Visual Studio that is absolutely free.

You *can* use VS2013 to build PowerSDR, but you will have to convert the project.  You will *not* have to convert the version of .Net that it uses... just the project.  There may also be some slight compiler differences.

(Edited)