Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Radio Mobile

2»

Answers

• rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    I'm 41.
  • rfoust
    rfoust Member ✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Nice looking boats guys!  I'd love to get one someday, I'm only 2.5 hours from the Atlantic (in NC), but I don't know anything about them.
  • Michael Coslo
    Michael Coslo Member ✭✭
    edited May 2016
    And we're all hoping you make it to the ancient level, Walt. Beats the alternative, eh?
  • DH2ID
    DH2ID Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Tom, your "Pleiades" is beautiful and modern, looks easier to sail, too ;-)
    The best thing about my "Skua" is, that you can haul up her keel electrically,
    all 3 tons and 4 meters of it, and she then draws only 1 m.
    You need that on the southern and western North Sea coast and it lets you fall dry on even keel. It's nice to sit on an sandbank with all those seals...
    73, Alex DH2ID
  • Corey/ KC0YNS
    Corey/ KC0YNS Member
    edited January 2016
    Jim, I'm curious what your using for the audio along with Teamviewer on your Iphone? Thanks for sharing....
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

I am using Teamviewer. You have to make a setting to get the audio. Very little latency. When I am not using Teamviewer, I stream the audio from my home computer using a program called Broadwave Streamer. I capture the audio with an app called Tunein Radio on my iPhone. It allows one to use a custom URL address to capture custom audio.

Jim, K6QE

• Walt - KZ1F
    Walt - KZ1F Member ✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I'm not that far away. Actually Howard and I aren't that far apart. It just struck me most on here are mid 60's, well except for Robbie. Why is that noteworthy? Shared experiences, only vague recollections of the sixties, etc.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    My eldest is older than you.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Mid 60's. I see that back in the rear view mirror.
  • Roger Rockwell/na4rr
    Roger Rockwell/na4rr Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Plan on heading out in March in the 24ft ClassA for about three months.  To test out, installed the 6700 and worked the 10M contest  from Pensacola Beach.  It worked great.  I got a 17" HDMI, usb powered monitor for the primary display and a 16" usb monitor for second monitor.  I use an Intel nuc 5I5 for the computer.  All running off of 12 house batteries.  Moving mobile used the HDMI on the dash between driver and passenger.  I also ran Delorme map program.  I made one contact moving but I'm getting too old to multi task.  Once fixed.  I set up the second monitor, worked from the "kitchen" table.  Antenna hex beam.  The band was a bit dead here but did manage to work 299 stations.  I could not find one non-dupe to get and even 300.  I found some sources of noise in the rv that I need to resolve but all in all everything went well. I had no engine noise while moving so didnt need any noise filtering.

I'm going to pick up a 3 element 6m beam in Orlando since that has become my preferred band. I hope to set up and op from some of the less populated grid squares.  Anyway,  I am looking forward to the Maestro so I can easily sit under the awning sipping whatever and work some DX.

roger
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    When I had a ICOM 756 Pro 3 in my RV .... I traveled around the country then from job to job doing instrument work.... I had serious noise issues that traced back to the switching power supply that the Rv used to keep the batteries charged while on shore power....Every time I wanted to use the radio I had to pull the fuse for the charging system
  • Rick Hadley - W0FG
    Rick Hadley - W0FG Member ✭✭
    edited January 2018
    My first HF mobile experience was in 1964. I used my HS graduation money to by a used Hrathkit MR1/MT1 AM combo and set that up in the back seat in my dad's '61 Buick on a family vacation. The next year, when I was in college and had my first car, '59 VW, I traded the rig for HW-12 and a Hustler antenna that I mounted in the bug, complete with an auxiliary 12v alternator, as the bug had a 6v system.
  • VE2MBT
    VE2MBT Member
    edited December 2016

That's what i do with my new GM, you have the possibility to display all the apple product ( ipod, ipad and iPhone ) in the 8in. touch screen truck / car display. Also, GM now provide high speed internet BUILT IN almost ALL their vehicules, so i'am using my lap top to have my flex on the road, can't wait to have the Maestro to have a radio "head" in the truck instead of the laptop :-)

• Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

Hi, Marc!

Are you able to use the GM screen as a touch screen so you can control the radio with your fingers, or do you still have to control the iPhone, and it just mirrors everything taking place on the iPhone?

Jim, K6QE

• K1FR
    K1FR Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Alex:  Nice feature for sure!  Our home port is on the Chesapeake Bay.  Lots of shallow water and shoals in places.  Would be great to have a swing keel.  Touching bottom is a pretty common event.  Would love to see what sailing in the North Sea is like!  

Have to admit I am now thinking of taking the Flex along on a cruise next year. It has really spoiled me, and the ICOM has lost a lot of its luster.

73, Tom 
    K1FR
  • AB9UU
    AB9UU Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I am planning on using the Maestro mobile in my Wrangler and Subaru WRX I ordered.  Actually, it may be less distracting and easier to use than a conventional setup.  As you can see signals, there will be less just turning a dial as you drive.  I currently use a TS 480 on road trips and it is OK, but I am sure it will not stand up to a Maestro with a Flex radio in the back.  I already built a way to mount it using some RAM and VESA mounts.  This summer I am planning on driving from Chicago to San Diego with the Maestro.  Maybe my dog could make a few contacts too from the back seat.
  • Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB
    Lawrence Kellar KB5ZZB Member ✭✭
    edited February 2017
    That was more in line with what I was thinking.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    My first HF mobile experience was with a Hallicradters SR-150 sitting behind the second seat on top of suitcases in a 1971 Buick Estate Wagon. The antenna was a home brew helically wound 40 meter antenna wound on a cheap bamboo cane fishing pole and lashed to the bumper with coat hangers and brackets borrowed from muffler clamps. My dad, a non ham, but creative "bodger" helped me put it together when I was a freshman in college. We drove that thing all the way from Indiana to Yellowstone National park and most of the way back before it started coming apart.... Ken - NM9P
  • Jim Gilliam
    Jim Gilliam Member ✭✭
    edited January 2016

Anyone remember Master Mobile antennas? In my opinion, it has never been topped. Very High Q inductor, mounted in the center of the antenna for  improved radiation resistance, and very simple mechanically. Never used a better antenna setup for mobile.

Jim, K6QE

• Dale KB5VE
    Dale KB5VE Member ✭✭
    edited January 2017
    Any of you who watch the community close you know I have one desire from flex and that is remote over the WAN. I have run HF mobile since 1974 from a KWM2A , FT 101, FT 7 (a great little rig) ts 120, ts 130, ts 50, ic 706, 706mk2, 706 mk2g, ts 480, ic 7000, ic 7100. So yes I have driven all over Anerica with big antenna and up to legal limit power. I will not do this anymore. O peration over the wan for me when or if it comes! I like the iPad program and if I was on the road it would get a nod from me. I have run a flex 3000 Mobil and worked really sweet used a net box computer but still need the big antenna. So I want to use my arrays at home via wan , hopefully flex will create a Mobil mode which shut pan adapter down ans allow the basic functions to display ( already using the big screen of my f150 King Rancher to show computer screen a custom midi controler will give knobs because a mouse is not the way to go Mobil. This is my Mobil I want, in fact I was a very early buyer of the new controler but realized it was not what I needed since it was too bulky for Mobil and the belting er midi which I bought for 49.00 is doing a great job at home to give me knobs and sliders and buttons, works outstanding. I got my deposit back and have never looked back. So running my 6500 or a 6300 in the truck is not even a option.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.