Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Radio at the W4DXCC

Gary Wise
Gary Wise Member ✭✭
edited April 2019 in SmartSDR for Windows
Many thanks to Gerald Youngblood and Lou Dietrich for hosting a Flex Radio display at this year's W4DXCC at the Main Stay Hotel and Convention Center in Pigeon Forge, TN.  Flex had their set up right at the main entrance to the convention hall. This was Flex Radio's first year to be at the W4DXCC, and I hope they will be back.

Info about the conference (just concluded) can be found here:

http://w4dxcc.com/index.html

There were many interesting presentations.  And we learned that a major DXpedition in 2018 will be using Flex Radios (I don't know if I can say more so I won't).

Thanks Gerald and Lou!  Great to see you!

Gary W4EEY

Comments

• Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Bouvet -- it's official 

http://www.bouvetdx.org/3028-2/

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................. V 1.9.7.85
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.9.7.169
    Win10

• Gerald-K5SDR
    Gerald-K5SDR FlexRadio Employee ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    Gary, Lou and I really enjoyed W4DXCC and felt it was very worthwhile.  You can count on us being there next year.  

Yes, Bouvet is official.  There is another major one in the works as well but can talk about that one yet.  Foreign governments are involved so you never know.

73, Gerald
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2017
    I expect it is just a matter of time before one of the big DXpeditions fully leverages the remote capability of radios like the 6000 to reduce the cost and increase the safety when going to sites like Bouvet and even places like Scarborough Reef. As long as the radio and antenna is physically on land at the entity, the operators can be remote on the nearby ship. (LAN remote) or even from the comfort of their home QTH (WAN remote). Instead of setting up equipment and tents for 20 operators, there might only need to be a few hams on land to monitor the equipment and generators. Some people may not like this approach but it could save a lot of money and like other advances that technology brings, it will probably happen eventually unless the DXCC rules change. Regards, Al / NN4ZZ
  • Al_NN4ZZ
    Al_NN4ZZ Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016

More here: 

http://www.arrl.org/news/the-other-heard-island-dxpedition-vk0ld

Regards, Al / NN4ZZ  
    al (at) nn4zz (dot) com
    6700 - HW.................. V 1.9.7.85
    SSDR / DAX / CAT...... V 1.9.7.169
    Win10

• Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017

Very cool indeed!   Would Maestro need an internet connection to the
    Flex server to operate from that location?  Have plans perhaps changed to
    use one of the new 6600's instead?  Do these new rigs need to "phone home"
    as does the Maestro?
          I would encourage folks to make a contribution to this very difficult project.
    This will be a rare opportunity and deserves support from those of us at the
    other end of the QSO.

Ned,  K1NJ

• Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited May 2017
    No. A connection to the Internet is only needed for software updates for the Maestro. Any 6000 would only need to access the Internet to do a one time license install for upgrading to a major version of SmartSDR. Or to operate in a remote mode using SmartLink.
  • Ned K1NJ
    Ned K1NJ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2017
       Aha!  Got it.
        Thanks, Tim.

Ned, K1NJ

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.