Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Radio 6400

k4kzy
k4kzy Member ✭✭
edited September 2019 in FLEX-6000 Signature Series
Three Blinks Of Death

It's with deep regret and disappointment that I report the passing of Flex Radio# 3xx8-6xx9-6400-xx02 today at noon, she live a short but good three day life. She enjoyed a final night of 75 and 160 meter activity which must have been to much for her heart. She will be truly missed as was her brother Flex Radio# 3xx8-8xx0-6400-22xx who lived for 9 long days and still lies in waiting in my kitchen. There will be a memorial service tonight for the both of them as they are preparing to meet their maker.

Music playing in tribute:

Queen " Another One Bites the Dust " 
Daughtry " Gone Too Soon "
Guns and Roses " Knocking On Heavens Door "
Elton John " Candle In The Wind "
Blue Oyster Cult " Don't Fear The Reaper "
Metallica " Fade to Black "

k4kzy1@gmail.com

Answers

• Rick  WN2C
    Rick WN2C Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Resuscitate and move on. Ok, have you tried a re-start?

Good choices on the music by the way!

You can send them my as I run a funeral home for dead radios.
  • k4kzy
    k4kzy Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Did CPR with no luck. I'm just jinxed, what are the odds of getting 2 flex radios that have boot failures. Factory reset result in nothing. Just added it to the open ticket. Gotta grin and keep it lite.
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Try pulling out the power cable from the back of the radio (not turning off the power supply but actually removing the cable), count to 10, then plug it back in and see if it will power up.

I am so sorry that this is happening, I have been blessed with incredibly good luck with Flex radios but it does happen!
  • k4kzy
    k4kzy Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Well there always have to be "ONE". Looks like thats me!  So You're Welcome, I'm taking one for the team. Wait, thats' two for the team! 
    Joking aside I've gone thru all the steps. Thanks for the reply. Still have faith in Flex.
  • Pat N6PAT
    Pat N6PAT Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Kansas - Dust In The Wind

• Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Paul McCartney - Maybe I'm Amazed
  • Dave - N6XVZ
    Dave - N6XVZ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Am I reading this right that you have two new radios and both have died within days of power up/install?  What are the odds of that?  Have you considered something in your environment causing it?  Power? A wormhole in the room next-door? Bad kharma?

I loved the humor and the music, btw!

Best of luck.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    WOW.  How much voltage does that station power supply have anyhow ;-)
  • k4kzy
    k4kzy Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    13.83 volts I keep a fluke meter connect to the plug on the radio. PS is doing its job. 
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Running on Empty - Jackson Browne
    Won’t Get Fooled Again - The Who
  • k4kzy
    k4kzy Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Thanks, I'm sure Flex will do me right. Maybe 3rd time will be a charm.
  • Dave - N6XVZ
    Dave - N6XVZ Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Maybe a gremlin that doesn't like your music choice.  Shoot that ****!
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    You cannot depend, necessarily, on the measure of voltage at the power source (as illogical as it sounds), the real measure is what is happening inside the radio. I have seen instances where people using power distribution boxes were getting voltage drops, where the anderson powerpole connection (the blade has backed out a bit or dirt has gotten in the connector, etc.

The fact that you are not even getting it to boot doesn't necessarily sound like its power supply but something environmentally sounds askew so I would try a difference psu just to make sure. To be honest, I have returned 2 very expensive products for repair (my first FT1000DX and my Acom 2000a amp) and both turned out to be cable problems (and boy was I embarassed!) I only figured out the FT1000DX when it came back unrepaired and when I retested it, the problem was still there until I disconnected everything).

I am sure you have done all of this but I always **** the problem under test to the very simplest configuration possible (radio, power cable, PSU) and keep swapping things to see if I can get it to boot (different power cable since you have 2, different PSU). If your PSU has variable voltage, up it to 14 v (not higher) and see if it makes any difference.

I know there can be quality glitches but the harmonic convergence that would give you two rigs with exactly the same problem is horrible!

• Mark WS7M
    Mark WS7M Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Isn't 3 blinks a fan failure?
  • k4kzy
    k4kzy Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Flashing a Morse "S" in Red indicates boot failure. 
  • Neal_K3NC
    Neal_K3NC Member ✭✭
    edited September 2018
    3 is a boot failure, 1 is a fan failure
  • Mark_WS7M
    Mark_WS7M Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Ok. Could not remember. Was hoping it was a fan but oh well.
  • K1UO Larry
    K1UO Larry Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    I just mentioned that as two radios with the same problem indicates to me something else in my shack environment may be the culprit.  The first thing that came to mind was the power is operating at either the high end, but most likely the low end, of the radio's power requiremets when under load.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.