Flex hatred by other amateur radio operators

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Answered
When you mention you are using a Flex radio most non Flex owning hams are supportive or neutral.  But a few hams get really angry like you desecrated their mother's grave.  Has anyone else ran into this?
Photo of Jerry Wilk

Jerry Wilk

• 58 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Paul

Paul

• 523 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
I think the complete opposite to you Bill. Although I don't have any Anan products I know and have had many QSO's with others that do. They appear just as happy, and have just as many issues with it, as the Flex users I have encountered - those on here included. As a company, Anan have simply seen a business opportunity and brought it sucessfully to market. IMHO, totally the same as Flex.

I don't think offering equivalent product 'hatred' will help ingratiate Flex users to anyone.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3294 Posts
  • 748 Reply Likes
, totally the same as Flex. 
Sorry, I don't understand.
What is the same?

A wonderful opertunity it was I agree,,bringing an ADR radio to market without any software.
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 286 Reply Likes
I think it's a completely bizarre business model.  The entire enterprise effectively rests on the quality of the coronary arteries and carotids and continued interest of 2 volunteers.  I still own an Anan but with every passing year the likelihood of failure grows IMHO.

73  W9OY  
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3294 Posts
  • 748 Reply Likes
Lee, it has been a great project, I hope there is someone ready to step in later on to take over. If I were Anan I would try and make sure that the sofyware was secure.

But Anan does not want any responsibiliy, here is the hardware, it's up to you to get it working, very little support or none.
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 523 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
Bill: the similarity between Anan & Flex is that they are both in business to make money. It seems to me that both are doing that reaonably well.

Lee: that may be true but I would bet that in the event, Flex would also not fair so well without one or two key figures.

With respect, I believe you may be deluding yourselves if you can't see that.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3294 Posts
  • 748 Reply Likes
There is a difference, the people working on Anan software have nothing to do with the Anan company, they volunteer them selves and take donations. All Anan does is supply hardware and depend only on volunteers.

Many of the employees at Flex can write code, that is their careers. And they have a good pool of telent to draw from. I know Gerald has always been planning for the event of....
Much more stable,,hands down..
(Edited)
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 523 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
I have no idea of the capabilities of most Flex staff - over the years one or two have have stood out on here. But I hope you're right Bill. Let's toast both companies with a glass of appropriate cool ade. Whichever camp you're in, competition is a good thing :)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3294 Posts
  • 748 Reply Likes
My comments are always from things Gerald says, or said. I don't like the use of the word cool-aid, it seems insulting to those not using a radio I like.  I like to keep things factual.

Other than the fact both companies make radios, I don't see compitition between them to be all that close. They both have their own directions and worlds apart on platforms.

For customers it is like deciding to to buy a motor cycle or a car instead of what kind of car. Both are very different but still gets you where your going.

There is not anyone doing what Anan is doing, an experimental radio.
And no other company is doing what Flex is doing, the aim is connectivity and station integration. Yes other companies have taken bits and peaces of all this, but not so as to work as seamless as Flex.

Witch do we like the most? and why? I like a moter cycle, faster performance, open air, But I like a car when it's really cold out, or raining, confort, and less noise.
Photo of Lee

Lee, Elmer

• 680 Posts
  • 286 Reply Likes
Paul I think you don't understand the depth of the engineering staff at Flex.  You see maybe Tim and Steve and that's by design.  There are quite a few others behind the scenes no less expert that form a cohesive team.  It is a true engineering company and commercial enterprise both hardware and software. 

My experience with Anan, service was a couple guys who rode heard on a yahoo list and if they didn't like you they would ban you, plus the advice was often wrong or incomplete.  I started with Anan before it was Anan with the TAPR boards rafter they split from Flex.  Back then there was one guy who was kind of a ram rod and he went off on his own so I've seen the shakiness of the business model.  Last I heard he owns a Flex.  That being said I have nothing against what has been developed on that platform, quite remarkable actually but it truly is a wing and a prayer situation in terms of future development.  I've seen half a dozen projects that are coming to fruition "any day now"  Any day has taken over a decade.  You can delude yourself if you like about the correspondence between the companies, but I sold most of my Anan stuff just for this reason.  No real use for a $4000 paper weight.
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 523 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
Bill:
1) re. Cool-ade, no offence, I was being ironic :)

2) referencing the comments made by a CEO is hardly going to be unbiased. Gerald is unlikly to say 'actually guys we only have two decent programmers in house', is he?

Lee: possibly we are all deluded then. I do firmly believe though, that both companies have good products and share the common goal of parting us with our cash.

Thanks for the interesting chat. 73, Paul
(Edited)
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3294 Posts
  • 748 Reply Likes
I for one beleive that when Gerald comments on how Flex is organized he is giving us a true picture of the company. In my opinion.

To answer the question, if Flex only had two programers he would say so, why not? The problem is most who do code sometimes fill in on other jobs and just can not stay coding all the time, staff moves around as needed.
Also from what others have said that are close to the ground and know the staff say the same.
Photo of Paul

Paul

• 523 Posts
  • 157 Reply Likes
Bill, you say that....

"The problem is most who do code sometimes fill in on other jobs and just can not stay coding all the time, staff moves around as needed"....

If so, the net programming effort could well be similar to that leveraged by Anan, who's programmers probably have the luxury of doing it uninterupted - all day - every day.

Both are plainly viable and both have their devotees - of whom a minority feel it necessary to belittle the 'other side'.

I am now QRT on this topic. Cheers!
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 3294 Posts
  • 748 Reply Likes
Just my ending thoughts, their are large differences between the two.

1  Anan only produces the hardware radio, Anan has nothing to do with software. They do not own any rights to software.
2  Flex creats hardware and they own the software for the 60000 radios.
3  Anan depends only on volunteers to write code and they only use open source.
4  Flex software is coded by employees not volunteers, so they are over seen by the CEO.
5  Un like Anan, the CEO makes sure the company coding continues to run smoothy being a software company. And He makes sure being a software company that Flex always has some of the brightest writers that can be found. That's his job.

You see their are huge differeces in the companies.
Showing these differences you feel I am belittling Anan, but I'm not. There is nothing wrong with open source and it is a wonderful project, it is nice to watch. All open source programs can stay strong as long as volunteers are still interested.

Given all the differences I mentioned Flex has a stronger base and is less likely to fail from lack of interest from volunteers. But the volunteers working on the open source are dedicated as of now. But it all hinges on a couple writers, the brain child behind it all. Once one of them or both stop, who picks up the rest?

I was not suggesting that by moving employees around at Flex meant stopping coding, it just means in a little company they wear many hats.

Dr. Pratt is making the software to support many othe platforms other then the Anan radio. This is part of the reason that the Anan software has been slow coming out, over a year now to get some things working properly.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike, W8BE

Mike, W8BE

• 145 Posts
  • 27 Reply Likes

Photo of Neal Pollack, N6YFM

Neal Pollack, N6YFM

• 186 Posts
  • 87 Reply Likes
When you filter out the few nuts on forums (which exist on ALL forums, not just ham radio forums),
then you find  a fairly neutral general public, who all recognize that their neighbors drive cars
with wildly different shapes, colors, and fuel sources.   And they dobn't care.

To put it further into perspective;   There are a little under 1 million licensed amateur radio operators
in the USA.  (OK, fine, approx 750,000) 
How many  of them have gone "crazy" on you for mentioning "Flex"?
Perhaps 3?
Maybe Half a dozen?

Next, go back across several years of forum posts on ALL types of topics, for THOSE specific individuals,
and you begin to see the pattern of mental health issues clearly.
It has nothing to do with Flex. They are just nuts.  Perhaps 60 year old guys still living in Mom's basement? 
I don't have a license or time to psycho-analyze them, but perhaps it is simply envy since they can't afford a top-end radio, or perhaps it is the color of the company logo, or perhaps the sound of the word Flex conflicts
with the "voices" in their head?

Human's are generally "Change Resistant" by nature.   But they do eventually change.
At least the normal ones eventually change.     (Here's to hope for the next election, but I digress :-) )
So a few comments here or there about "I won't touch a radio without knobs" are perfectly normal.
But the one or two guys that make it a life long crusade to attack every poster on the forum that uses
the word Flex?   Um, er, yeah, you could say those loosers need help and sympathy, or maybe a good
hard kick in the ass. :-)

To summarize, be careful about forums for any type of hobby or business.   Most happy users never
find time to post,  but the few angry ones that also have bad people skills do.   So it is hard to get an accurate view point by simply reading the posts.   This can apply to review sites like Amazon also.

Cheers,

Neal   N6YFM

(Edited)