Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Genius XL power supply failure

Trader Dave
Trader Dave Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in Power Genius XL Amplifier
On power up  self test shows power supply failure. All other tests passed.  I just received the amp today. Any ideas other than contact Flex 

Comments

• ctate243
    ctate243 Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Open a help desk ticket.
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I have had the same issue before. There may be a simple fix. If your comfortable opening up your amp (Hex head screws on the sides) you can probably solve this quickly. With the cover removed you will find the main power supply on the right side as you face the front of the Amp.. There has been an issue with excessive handeling in shipment where the power supply has slipped towards the front of the Amp. Try pushing it towards the rear of the Amp as it has most likely slipped out of the rear connector thus leaving it unpowered. In some cases you may have to loosen the bracket on the top of the power supply to be able to slide it to the rear. It only had to move ⅛ -¼ “ to be disconnected. That solved my issue and has not been a problem since. It’s a great Amp, hope that solves it! Watts K4QJZ
  • bahillen
    bahillen Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Nice to hear from someone who finally received a PGXL 73 Bill W9JJB
  • Burch - K4QXX
    Burch - K4QXX Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Yes, glad to hear amps are again shipping.  Hopefully I'll get mine soon.
  • AC9S
    AC9S Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I much prefer the way Alpha shipped their amps - with the transformer in a separate package.  Note I just sent my "standby" KPA500 back for some factory work and they recommended taking the transformer out prior to shipping.  Lots of mass!

Keith - AC9S
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited June 2020
    The power supply in the PG XL is a switching supply and does not have the weight of the old Alpha/Peter Dahl transformers.

Dave wo2x

• Dan Quigley, N7HQ
    edited May 2019
    Yes, Watts is correct and his directions for a fix are also correct. 

This is a too-common shipping fail for the PGXL.  However, for most hams, it is usually an easy field fix.  The standard caveat of making sure you disconnect the amplifier from AC power also applies.  If for any reason you find stripped screws or cannot loosen and slide the power supply back into its socket, the amp will need to be returned. 

The brackets that hold the power supply in place have been redesigned and we are awaiting a shipment to send out to all PGXL owners. 

Best,
    Dan
  • mikeatthebeach .
    mikeatthebeach . Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    I want FedEx for shipping and will Pay extra for that shipping carrier and Not accept UPS for shipping My PGXL The new thicker bracket was to prevent This disaster is a must if the PGXL since The PGXL is so fragile for shipping PGXL Power Supply dislodges and damages Unit during shipping Hopes FRS inspects each unit Before shipping out any more PGXL’s !!!!!!!!! Unacceptable for a $7K Amplifier for FRS to do otherwise My SPE 2K Amp was double boxed and the Packing that FRS is not acceptable in lieu of the mechanical bracket Design flaw in the PGXL 73 Mike
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The Flex amps are very well packed as well as all their products. Every now and again we here of a damaged PGXL from very a high impact. Under normal handling this damage would never occure.
  • Trader Dave
    Trader Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thanks to K4QZE for identifying the problem. I loosened the screws on the side of the power supply and pushed the supply  more than 1/4 inch towards the back. That fixed the problem. Thanks to all replies. 

Dave WA6DKN . 
  • David Decoons, wo2x
    David Decoons, wo2x Member, Super Elmer Moderator
    edited May 2019
    The shipping gorillas! Dave wo2x
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Glad to hear it worked, now the fun begins. Unfortunately there is not much anyone can do to control how something is really handled. The amps are doubled boxed and isolated with soft foam all the way around to absorb most shocks. Enjoy your weekend, Watts K4QJZ
  • Trader Dave
    Trader Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Thank you
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

Maybe Flex needs to add an UPS driver to the alpha team for shock impact testing. 

• Sergey KN7K
    Sergey KN7K Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    Maybe manufacturing quality control need to add a steps to secure parts inside of Amp for shipment. Parts or connectors should not move during shipment or movement
  • Dan Quigley, N7HQ
    edited May 2019
    When PGXLs arrive they are typically palatized. The current inbound acceptance process for each unit is: 

1) Inspected for any physical damage.
    2) Bench-tested to ensure each meets acceptance specifications. 
    3) Repackaged for shipment to customers.

These tests are in addition to those performed at the factory

Best,
    Dan
  • HCampbell  WB4IVF
    HCampbell WB4IVF Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019

Looks like 4O3A/Flex redesigned the bracket that failed and will also send them to all buyers per Dan’s first post.  Haven’t seen any postings of shipping-related damage issues other than the bracket.

• Trader Dave
    Trader Dave Member ✭✭
    edited May 2019
    The 4 screws on the side of the power supply were not tight This caused the power supply to slip out of place. I fixed the problem by pushing the power supply back in place and tightening the screws. Flex should address this problem by adding another **** and bracket at the front of the power supply to prevent slippage. There may be other solutions.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.