Flex Down! (6300 - Fan)

• Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • In Progress
Just reporting in that I too am apparently having fan issues with my 6300. I've read up on the issue and know my options (i.e. Help Desk vs self replace, if the fans can be sourced), so just sharing my experience.  Last night, after a (rare) shutdown, the radio would try to boot up, and then power off on its own.  This was accompanied by groaning noises from one of the fans.

I went through the fan cleaning procedure (https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001282823-How-to-properly-clean-the-FLEX-6000-Co...) and tried again; same problem, and same noises.  It was pretty clear that the problem fan is one of the 50MM FPGA fans.

I found that in my case, if I waited for the radio to automatically power off (fail to boot)  and then immediately power it back on, it would boot up and stay running.  Its almost like the fan won't spin up fully from a dead stop, but if I can power it back on before it stops spinning, it works - and I'm hearing no fan noise.  That's kept my radio up for ~10 hours now.  My understanding is that the radio is well protected and will shut itself off if the fan slows back down, so I'm going to let it run.

The radio is just over 2 years old, runs almost 24x7 and is located in a normal home environment (in my shack, on a desk with numerous other radios).  

Rick
K7FYI
Photo of Rick, K7FYI

Rick, K7FYI

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Pat

Pat

• 153 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
I've read a number of posts here where ops say that they run the Flex 24/7. I'd like to hear from Flex if this is advisable and how it impacts fan (and other hardware) lifespan.

I usually have my 6700 on for most of the day but power off when I'm not at home. I never leave it running overnight unless I'm pulling an all nighter for a contest.
(Edited)
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9052 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
The most stress put on a fan is during power-up, as it has to overcome the inertia of going from off to spinning at full speed. If you are not concerned about the power consumption (yes, Bert, I know you are HI HI), leaving the radio on will not hasten the lifespan of the fans.  I use several different FLEX-6000s (and a FLEX-5000 too) daily for support purposes.  They stay on 7x24 except when I'll be away for business or vacation or in the event of a thunderstorm. I have replaced the 6700 CPU/FPGA fans once, late last year, in the 6 years I have been running that radio.
Photo of Tim - W4TME

Tim - W4TME, Customer Experience Manager

• 9052 Posts
  • 3435 Reply Likes
 Since this indicates you have a hardware issue and issues of this type are not resolved using the COmmunity, I have converted this topic to a support HelpDesk ticket (http://helpdesk.flexradio.com) for expedited issue resolution.  Please respond using the HelpDesk ticket for issue resolution.
Photo of Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

Bob Gerzoff, WK2Y

• 149 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
For what it's worth, I power my down when I am not using it and disconnect, power, antenna, and ethernet cables. I have pigtails on all the connectors so I am not wearing out the rig's connectors. 
I like my rig too much to not make the effort.
Bob, WK2Y
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3470 Posts
  • 1335 Reply Likes
My 6700 has run 24/7/365 for several years. I did add a $10 laptop cooler below it so the fans are rarely stressed.

Yes Burt I am 100% solar(20.6 KW) so power is not an issue
(Edited)
Photo of Bill English

Bill English

• 55 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Howard what is the part number on that laptop cooler?
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3454 Posts
  • 1320 Reply Likes
I am 6000 miles away so I can’t look at it. I’ve got one for $10 at the dollar stores but there are dozens of them available on Amazon. I have been powering it from the USB port on the radio for a few years now. Tim does not recommend doing that
(Edited)
Photo of Pat

Pat

• 153 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
Leaving the radio on for long periods when not in use seems like a very wasteful thing to do. Why would you waste all that electricity just to reduce startup stress on the fan? That would be like leaving your car running 24/7 to reduce startup stress on the engine. I have a Tokyo Hy Power amp that I turn on and off dozens of times a day and have not had any issues with the fan. Same goes for the power supply

My Flex stays on  most of the day only because I use it most of the day. I power it off when I go out or stay off the air for any extended period.
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 753 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
I am considering the purchase of one of the electric motorcycles. I took a test ride on one while getting my VTC Spirit 1100 inspected.  It costs a little over a penny per mile, and I could charge it either off the $159 solar panels from Harbor Freight, or plug it into the wall.  As well, it is hold onto the handlebars fast leave your stomach where you started fast. Just a data point. All of the wall warts and Air conditioners are a lot bigger problem than Teslas. And that Motorcycle isn't even in the noise, it's about 100 db below it for consumption.
Photo of Mark  K1LSB

Mark K1LSB

• 57 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
@Howard

"blind legacy radios"  -- best post of the day!  You should copyright that phrase.

That right there is the only reason anyone needs to buy a Flex.
Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3469 Posts
  • 1330 Reply Likes
@Michael.
I ride E-Bikes here in France and the USA. only 250W motor in France and 350W motor in the USA. In the market for a faster E-Bike (1000W) for the USA. But even on my 250 W I can keep up with bike racers on legacy mechanical bikes.

Haven’t rode a E Motorcycle yet. But I am sure they are quick.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 817 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
Electric motor cycle would be interesting. This would be an interesting E-motor for a bike:
https://www.siemens.com/innovation/en/home/pictures-of-the-future/mobility-and-motors/electromobilit...

350 hp (260KW) in a 50Kg (110#) package. Or put one on each wheel of that Tesla.

_..--
k3Tim
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 753 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
I know we're drifting way off topic here, but everyone is having fun. E-bikes are a coming thing, and yeah the new e-Motorcycles are fast. This one has an eco and sports mode, mainly to let noobs get used to them. Grabbing a handful of throttle in sports mode is not for people who aren't used to them. Anyhow, they have a three phase motor, no gears - no drivetrain other than motor to rear wheel. I love my big twin, but I see one of these in my future. Plus my better half didn't balk at the price.
Photo of Craig Williams

Craig Williams

• 71 Posts
  • 32 Reply Likes
Back in the days when I was a computer consultant I would see fans that made noise and even fans completely stuck. The sleeve bearings dry out. One side of them has a rubber plug covering the sleeve. I carried a hypodermic needle filled with light oil and used it to inject a few drops of oil on to the bearing through the rubber plug. ( Don't know if the fans in the 6000's are mounted plug up or plug down? ) 90% of the time this solved the problem and the fan would run for years more.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2326 Posts
  • 529 Reply Likes
Craig, I mentioned this a long time ago about lubricating the fans just like you mentioned, but I was mostly ignored, even if you have to remove them to do it. There are a few good u tubes showing how this is done. I know if my fans stop I will try this first.
Photo of k3Tim

k3Tim

• 817 Posts
  • 155 Reply Likes
I saved a 'frozen'  FPGA fan from a 6500 that was swapped out with a new one. Taking Craig + Bill's suggestion I was able to repair it. The backside sticker (the one without the label) peels off exposing a tiny white nylon C-clip. Prying this off carefully allows the fins to be removed and complete access for cleaning. It was all cleaned up, looked like new. The axle and sleeve bearing were cleaned and some Krytox teflon grease used as the lubricant. This should last many years. Putting the C-clip back in place is tedious but a small hollow metal tube made it easy. A ballpoint pen refill (open end) did the trick.

The fan runs smoothly and starts with as little as 3-VDC. 
Thanks for the tip Craig and Bill...

_..--
k3Tim / 7
Photo of Michael Coslo

Michael Coslo

• 753 Posts
  • 172 Reply Likes
Anyone know what the fans are lubed with at the factory? Haven't had an issue with mine, but I always try to ressurect before sending back to the factory.
Photo of Bill -VA3WTB

Bill -VA3WTB

• 2326 Posts
  • 529 Reply Likes
3&1 oil is fine.
Photo of Steve K9ZW

Steve K9ZW, Elmer

• 1248 Posts
  • 649 Reply Likes

My home QTH radio (either a 6700 or the 6600M) stay on 24/7

My Island QTH radio gets turned on when we arrive and stays on 24/7 until we depart, though that is usually 24/3 these days ( <put sad face here> ).

In comparison of either location's power consumption the additional power usage for 24/7 is trivial.  Truly trivial. 

And yes I am not going to dig in a spring-fed milk house to replace the true energy monster, the fridge, nor dig in an earth berm ice house cutting chunks of winter ice to tame the other monster the freezer. 

YMMV but I'm able to remote in anytime at will the way I'm driving my bus...

Steve K9ZW

Photo of Pat

Pat

• 153 Posts
  • 46 Reply Likes
The Flex allows remote operators to power up/down the rig from a remote location via an internet switch. Seems to me that the intention of this design feature is to avoid needing the rig powered up all the time.

Here's an article from Tim on the subject:

https://helpdesk.flexradio.com/hc/en-us/articles/202847169-Remote-Power-On-Options-for-the-FLEX-6000
Photo of Rick, K7FYI

Rick, K7FYI

• 19 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Circling back...  HUGE kudos to Tim and the Flex team for taking care of this under warranty!  I got my radio back today, and am completely impressed with the level of service.  THANK YOU to you and the rest of the team that took in my radio.  

I was prepared to try to source the parts myself, but when Tim reached out, I took him up on it.  I was only out one-way shipping, which is fine.  I know they also checked the rest of the radio out while it was there, so it was worth it.

Tim:  I owed you and your team "Superb!" marks on the ticket, but it was closed when I tried the link (I intended to wait until I actually got it back, but the link was already closed).  THANK YOU!

Rick
K7FYI
Photo of Mark  K1LSB

Mark K1LSB

• 55 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
And kudos to you for taking the initiative to give credit where credit is due.

Mark  K1LSB