Flex Direct Conversion Receiver - My HeathKit QRP HW-8 CW XCVR from 1968 is also a Direct Conversion as well had lots of Fun with it !

• Praise
  • Updated 3 years ago
Flex Direct Conversion Receiver - Fun Radio - My HeathKit QRP HW-8 XCVR from 1968 is also a Direct Conversion Receiver a well had lots of Fun with it !
Photo of Mike Aust

Mike Aust

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • great

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of KY6LA - Howard

KY6LA - Howard, Elmer

• 3725 Posts
  • 1578 Reply Likes
All Crystal Radios are direct sampling
Photo of W7NGA

W7NGA

• 446 Posts
  • 189 Reply Likes
no sampling, no conversion artifacts, zero phase noise. clearly the wave of the future ..
Photo of W5XZ - dan

W5XZ - dan

• 571 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
"grandpa, what's a mixer/"

oh, we just use ADC's now...

Photo of Ken - NM9P

Ken - NM9P, Elmer

• 4172 Posts
  • 1331 Reply Likes
My first home brew receiver, other than a crystal receiver, was a simple "Infinite impedance detector" out of the ARRL Handbook, using a FET, hand wound coil (on a toilet paper tube), variable capacitor scarfed from an old AM receiver, and a few resistors and capacitors. I fed the audio into my stereo's auxiliary audio input, connected it to my HF dipole. It was amazing to hear multiple shortwave broadcast stations fading in and out as the band rose and fell. I could tune several MHZ, and the bandwidth was wide as a barn door, allowing several stations in at the same time. But it was almost magical, because I built it myself!

This was about 1981, I had been a ham for about seven years, but it was my first home brew radio, and one of my first solid state projects.
(Edited)
Photo of Mike Aust

Mike Aust

• 11 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Watch out Flex ! The new HW-8 is here !
(Edited)
Photo of Rick Hadley - W0FG

Rick Hadley - W0FG

• 598 Posts
  • 129 Reply Likes
I did my first DXPedition with an HW-8, WA0FYG/VP2S (now J8), using battery power and a low 40m dipole for 40 & 15 strung between a couple of little trees behind my in-law's house on Bequia.
Photo of Jay / NO5J

Jay / NO5J

• 1658 Posts
  • 255 Reply Likes
I'm a big fan of trees. 
 SDRgadgets

73, Jay - NO5J