Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Control Button Assignment SmartSDR

Paul Sokoloff
Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
I just got my flex control. Works for tuning and volume.   Would like to assign aux1 to CW and aux2 to SSB.  Can't find how to do that.  Thanks, Paul

Answers

• VE7ATJ_Don
    VE7ATJ_Don Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    As far as i can tell from the flexcontrol docs, mode switching is not one of the available functions. The only ones supported/available are those in the dropdown list for each button. It's described on page 45 of the ssdr manual.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    The Flexknob can also be used with DDUtil, which supports a larger range of fucntions and macros.
    http://k5fr.com/DDUtilV3wiki/index.php?title=TKnob
    AL, K0VM

• Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thanks.  Flex misses the mark again.  I think they make this function available in the 5000A but not the 6000 series.  Very disappointing.
  • Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thanks Al.  Unless I missed it, there doesn't seem to be a Mode function available.  If there is, please guide me to it.  Most of the functions are not available for smartSDR. 
  • Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    It's funny how they have a button marked Mode on the control, but no ability to do so.  Deceptive advertising.
  • Al K0VM
    Al K0VM Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    The Knob button can be assigned to assert the equivalent of a keyboard F key in DDUtil (e.g. Macro 35).  A DDUtil  DD6... macro can be a set a mode.  ( e.g. DD6FIL9:07:+1500:00300; sets DIGU with a 300 hz filter centered on 1500 hz )
    The DD6 macros all work with smartSDR.

AL, K0VM

• Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Paul. In DDUtil look in the Help>macro list tab and it will open a web page with the latest DDUtil macros. There is another link on that page for F6000 specific macros. Once you start learning to use DDUtil's macros, you will wonder how you ever got along without them!
  • Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thanks Ken,  I loaded the program and it won't run due to com ports error even though all com ports are labeled correctly.  When I get it working, I may ask for some help.  Thank you for the suggestion.  I'll keep plugging away.  Paul
  • Terry Ashland
    Terry Ashland Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    You can also use Pegasus Plus for additional functionality with your Flex.  Download the trial and look at the Aux Single, Aux Double, Long, and knob clicks. I've never used the feature, but you can change modes
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Have you redefined the FlexControl's port away from ports 3-5 yet?  I have mine at port 99.  This will eliminate many sources of port conflicts between "real" and "virtual" port assignments.

Also, be sure to have DDUtil in "6000 mode" which communicates with the rig via the TCP port rather than a COM port.  Another port freed up.

That may help a bit.  
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Also, if you want to use the DDUtil driver for the FlexControl Know, you must remember to disable it in the SSDR Setup routines before you enable it in DDUtil...

• Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Thanks Terry.  I had purchased he program so I will look more closely at the features.  I use it with the Berringer control unit.
  • Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    I have done all that you suggest.  I assigned it to port 70.  Evidently flex assigns the knob a port in the 600s which is not a legal port number and DDUtil does not like that.  I am still having problems with the program.   It keeps telling me that "cannot find cat port server" even though I have no ports assigned anywhere in the program.  The macro buttons will not change modes in my 6300.  It will change frequencies.  When I assign the knob to DDUtil at port 70 (disabling the smartsdr knob) it does not tune properly and causes my computer to do strange things.  The smartsdr window flashes and the desktop turns black and then the icons return.  Very strange.  it also caused my browser to crash.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I will try to reassign the port to 99 as you have done.  Thanks,  Paul
  • Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Ken,  Well I spent some more time with the program and got most of the problems fixed.  It turns out you need to make a TCP cat control and assign it port #5002.  Didn't see that in the instructions!!  Knob works. No more errors.  I will work on the macros tonight for mode change.  Thank you for your encouragement.  Paul
  • Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hopefully my final inquiry.  I set up the macros to do what I wanted, however I found that the flex control knob, when using DDUtil, will not tune frequencies above the 1296 band.  This is a big problem.  Any suggestions?  it does work when connected directly to smartSDR. 
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2017
    Turn in a bug report to DDUtil support
  • Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Tim,  I sent an email to Steve and he said there is nothing in his program that would cause this.  He suggested that I contact you that there might be a limitation in the cat port.  Maybe you could intervene and work with him.  It is only the knob and not direct frequency entry.   Now that I have your attention, why can't Flex provide the CW, USB, LSB, etc. functions for the flexcontrol knob?   Thanks,  Paul
  • Paul Sokoloff
    Paul Sokoloff Member ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    Hi Terry,  Owning the program, I did not realize that it worked with the flexcontrol. I was able to make it happen.  Thank you for the suggestion.
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited April 2017
    I doubt that there is a limitation in the CAT port since it works with SmartSDR and the FlexControl does not use a CAT port.  

If you run the CAT log on the port connecting SmartSDR to DDUtil and can gather data that there is an issue with communicating commands with the radio, then open a HelpDesk ticket and we'll investigate.

We would love to work proactively with third-party developers on issues that are experienced when their products are being used with the radio, but the onus is really on them to do the sustaining engineering and discover the root cause.  If they can show that we have an issue with our logic, then, by all means, we will work with them to address it. 

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.