Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Control and 6300

Rich McCabe
Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
Is the 6000 series lacking in features compared to older versions?  I am a new flex user and see information on the flex control knob doing a lot of stuff. In my case I am using it for master control volume, slice volume, attack AGC and of course tuning. The mode, On/Off and toggle doesnt mean anything to me and the drop downs don't really have much for options.

Answers

• Stu Phillips - K6TU
    Stu Phillips - K6TU Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Rich,

The current support for the FlexControl in SmartSDR is "simple FlexControl" - the original concepts when K6TD and myself designed the FlexControl was (and is) fully implemented in DDutil by Steve, K5FR.

PowerSDR (the software for the legacy radios prior to the 6000 series) has also has a much richer support for the FlexControl with both a simple and advanced mode.

I believe FlexRadio chose to implement the "simple" approach in SmartSDR because of feedback they had received that the advanced support was too complicated for most folks to use.

If you are willing to use DDUtil, you can get extensive control over the radio including the different functions accessible via mode, on/off and toggle.

No response would be complete without a blatant sales plug for the K6TU Control iPad app - this provides you with finger tip access to all the functionality of the radio using an iPad.  Sorry but only available on the iPad.

http://k6tu.net/ipad

Stu K6TU

• George O'Brien
    edited January 2015
    Rich,
    I use Stu's iPad app in addition to the Flex Control knob.  The combination is superb, especially when used during a contest.  N1MM contest s/w + iPad app + Flex Control lets one have a workflow that keeps the program focus on N1MM while still controlling the radio with SmartSDR.
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Thanks guys. I will check out DDUtil. I am not an iPad fan and just gave mine away so wont be able to go down that path.

• Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    I like to think of the 6000 series as re-inventing the wheel.  PowerSDR was a wooden wheel with spokes.  SmartSDR is a magnesium wheel with lug nuts.  The spoke wheel works better on a covered wagon, the mag wheel works great on an SUV.  The common factors are that they're both round and they're both wheels.

It will take some time for the engineering team to move all the bells and whistles that existed with PowerSDR to SmartSDR.  The development of the 6000 series radios wasn't an upgrade it was a whole new engineering concept that required new hardware and new software.  Watch Steve Hicks' presentation on YouTube and you will see what I mean.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXr0cn5ubOM
  • Steve W6SDM
    Steve W6SDM Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
    Rich, Next time you give away an iPad, let me know.  I'm good on QRZ.com.  :)
  • Rich McCabe
    Rich McCabe Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2015
     LOL. Well my daughter loves Apple stuff. So gave it to her and bought a new i7 surface Pro 3 which suites me much better!

• Carl Moreschi
    Carl Moreschi Member
    edited January 2015
    Also I want to add my N4PY Pegasus Plus has over 50 functions that can be done with the Flex Knob or Tmate 2 device.
  • Bill -VA3WTB
    Bill -VA3WTB Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2018
    Hey Steve, I am still using my 3000 and to this day performs better than anything I have ever owned, and I have had some nice radios. If the 3000 still performs better than most box radios it is clear how far those radios would be behind the 6000's.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.