Flex community login problem solved

• Question
  • Updated 2 days ago
Difficulties logging in to the Flex community and to open or look at trouble tickets.   I have had  problems logging in both to the Flex community and to open or look at a trouble ticket.  Things worked as the should occasionally but mostly not.  I login and I get a message telling me I am successfully logged in.  But the word "login" at the top does not change to my login name and if I try to do anything that requires me to be logged in I can't.  I will get a message telling me to login, even though the website told me I had logged in successfully not 1 minute before.   This happens with Safari, Chrome, and Firefox.  And with Linux and OS-X, and with three different kinds of computers.  I have been given all kinds of advise mostly telling me that my web browser was blocking cookies, which it was not.  This was extremely frustrating.  

This morning I discovered that the fix is to blow away all the cookies that get planted every time I do login successfully, and that are still there when I log out.  As soon as I get rid of everything, I can login successfully and everything works as it is supposed to.   I am posting this in case anyone else has had this same problem.
Photo of Stephen Hawkins NG0G

Stephen Hawkins NG0G

• 83 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
  • relieved and happy

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Roy - W5TKZ

Roy - W5TKZ

• 124 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
Stephen -- thank you--thank you--thank you.
Works for me also.

Roy - W5TKZ
Photo of Greg - N8GD

Greg - N8GD

• 220 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Had the same problem with the Flex Community about a month ago. Did the same as you and deleted cookies. Login has remained good since then. I had tried clearing the Safari cache, but it took the cookies deletion to do the trick!
Photo of Dave - n6xvz

Dave - n6xvz

• 38 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Sadly this isn't working for Chrome.  I appear to login successfully but never changes up top to my name/graphic.  I clearly am not logged in. I've cleared all cookes, cleared history, restarted Chrome and dead-end.  Now logged in with IE... 

It seems to keep recurring with this site and now I can't overcome it.
Photo of Ted  VE3TRQ

Ted VE3TRQ

• 129 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I, too, have the same issue with Chrome - but on a Mac. Never successfully login.
Photo of Stephen Hawkins NG0G

Stephen Hawkins NG0G

• 83 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
I uncovered an additional twist to this.   This morning I had to leave the Flex site so that no tab was open to flex.  Then blow away all the cookies and the history.  Then shutdown the browser (Safari) then start back up clean and login was successful. 
Photo of Dave - n6xvz

Dave - n6xvz

• 38 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I tried Stephen's appoach (on Chrome) but it didn't work.  I also have a session that IS working via iPad/Safari.  I tried logging out of iPad/Safari and logging in on PC/Chrome but no luck.

So I went sniffing in Chrome about chookies.  I seem to have solve my broken Chrome browser login by ENABLING third party cookies....

Settings -> Content Settings -> Cookies
               Make sure this is TURNED OFF: Block third-party cookies

I enabled Third Party Cookies and voila cookies from getsatisfaction start showing up and I log in.

Good luck!
Photo of Gayle Lawson

Gayle Lawson

• 41 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Test. I messed with cookies. test for firefox
Photo of Gayle Lawson

Gayle Lawson

• 41 Posts
  • 15 Reply Likes
Looks like it worked this time.  Firefox worked for several years.  about two months ago it stopped.

Thanks for the hint.

Gayle