Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex Comm

Bernie W7DMC
Bernie W7DMC Member ✭✭
edited June 2020 in New Ideas
Hey Flex, how about sponsoring a Flex Comm. Maybe a weekend in Austin with seminars and demos where dummies (me) and pros could gather to learn more about getting the most out of our Flex. The opportunity to meet with some of the Elmers and Flex Staff to learn about the many things I haven't yet been able to figure out would be invaluable.

Comments

• Charles WO5E
    Charles WO5E Member
    edited June 2017
    Great idea...  particularly, with the introduction of 2.0.
  • Ron W4RDM
    Ron W4RDM Member ✭✭
    edited July 2019
    FLEX-ED
  • Bernie W7DMC
    Bernie W7DMC Member ✭✭
    edited January 2019
    And yes, I used one too many m's in Comm - get so excited over the idea I stutter !
  • Dave -- W7IWW
    Dave -- W7IWW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Great idea. Sounds interesting.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I would go!
  • Watts - K4QJZ
    Watts - K4QJZ Member ✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Great idea, I would attend as well.
  • Harold Rosee
    Harold Rosee Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    There is a get together in August each year in Austin.  They have forums, flemarket, and other activities you would expect at a hamfest.  A forum could be set up at this get together in Austin.  May be too late for this year but maybe not.

See here:  www.austinsummerfest.org

• Ernest
    Ernest Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Thanks Bernie W7DMC,

Let's not just keep the training to Austin. 
    I like to propose, that we also have training in Fernandina Beach, FL  or nearby cities. So all the snow bunnies from the Northeast States: That enjoy visiting during their winter months; November through April.have an excuse to attend the training by FLEX.
    This will give the left coast; California Oregon and Washington an opportunity to see our gorgeous and mild seasons.
  • Lee - N5LN
    Lee - N5LN Member ✭✭
    edited April 2019
    I agree.  I attended a great talk by Flex at HamCation last February. It was a great history lesson.  Several people there expressed the same interest for an "orientation" (my words) of sorts.  By the way, I could fix my "S-Line" KWM-2A.  My technical abilities are circa 1978.  The language and acronyms used by Flex require a thesaurus for us old techies who have not kept up!  They are a drag on my ability to learn about all the benefits the radio has to offer.    Just give me a month's notice of where and when a training session will  be held and I'll be there.  N5LN  Lee Nugent
  • Stan VA7NF
    Stan VA7NF Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Easy on the comments Bernie.  Here, up north of Seattle there have been times my '4' contacts have reported colder temperatures than in Vancouver.  At least we have seasons, something those down in SoCal may not.
  • KY6LA_Howard
    KY6LA_Howard Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Stan' I am so thankful that I never have to involuntarily experience seasons anymore. You do not know how great things are until you don't have winter
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I definitely like the idea of a FlexCon in Austin -- I'd probably go, even, and I'm not typically big on these types of things. I'll even volunteer to give a short talk explaining DPCs and DPC Latency in Windows. That's one of the very few ham radio related topics about which I'm qualified to speak. Peter K1PGV
  • Bernie W7DMC
    Bernie W7DMC Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Howard, sorry you have to put up with such boring weather :) At least VA7NF and myself don't have to shovel much !!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    I can give a talk about station integration and remoting, with the focus on networking to get SmartLink working properly (when released). I'm going to be doing a couple of club presentations on the subject, in fact. 
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I don't mind a mild winter. I can do without being in California though. :) The weather is nice but living there... is... just not something I'm interested in, and I've had the opportunity many times over. It's bad enough in NJ as it is.
  • John - AF3K
    John - AF3K Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Count me in!
  • John - K3MA
    John - K3MA Member ✭✭
    edited April 2018
    I would prefer that Flex use their resources and time to do more software development.

• Walt
    Walt Member ✭✭
    edited June 2020
    amen to that - then they could do a youtube video demonstrating the new features. Would benefit everyone who can't spend the money to fly to Austin for a weekend. And with videos, I can watch it more than once. For live stuff, they could hold a big 'goto meeting' on the web for everyone. Cheers
  • KS0CW
    KS0CW Member ✭✭
    edited June 2017
    the flex marketing guys should jump all over it...
  • Peter K1PGV
    Peter K1PGV Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    >they could do a youtube video demonstrating the new features

Easily done: Live stream and record the talks from the conference!

Peter
    K1PGV
  • Milen KG2C
    Milen KG2C Member
    edited June 2017
    Hi Ria, could you share when and where are those club presentations planned for (and which club) or where to check for an announcement for them?
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    I have one planned for fair lawn ARC in October and another at Frankford radio club TBD Ria
  • Milen KG2C
    Milen KG2C Member
    edited June 2017
    Thanks, Ria!
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2017
    Note that this is not a Flex presentation and I will be presenting about SDR technology in general from an end user perspective. It will be focused more on use cases of the radios and not just what's under the hood. I'll also talk about station integration with modern SDRs, particularly Flex since I own one. This started out when my club (FRC) asked about anyone using flex radios in a contest environment and naturally my name came up. Ria
  •   VE6KWA
    VE6KWA Member ✭✭
    edited May 2020
    While the Austin get together sounds great, we in the Great White North seldom get that far South. (saving coinage for the task of  feeding our sled dogs in Winter) ;)   Seriously though, Live Webinars (Flexinars) would likely be VERY popular and may even prove self supporting. I would pay a reasonable fee to access live training on various aspects of SDR ... Contesting etc. Maybe Flex would even consider subsidizing such a venture. It would likely take some load off of their support staff. Not to mention being great PR.  Flexinar anyone ??

Ken

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.