Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex app sees the radio but wont connect.

IOS Flex app sees my 6300 but wont connect. I am using softether vpn and have opened the following ports.

Flex radio TCP/UDP 4991-4992

Softether ports on the PC   UDP 500 4500 1701  TCP 443 5555

I have full WAN access to the computer.

I am 1500 miles away.. Please , any help?  Thanks

Answers

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    If the network that the flex is on has a 192.168.1.x IP, then there could be a conflict. I would suggest renumbering the network since a lot of public and home wifi is 192.168.1.x. That is the most common problem.

Ria
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited November 2019
    UPD 500 4500 and 1701 are for an L2TP VPN connection from IOS.  443 and 5555 are for Softether connections.

How are you connecting to the radio?  With the VPN active or not active.  Or, are you using SmartLink?

Are there port forwards on your router for 4991 and 4992?  You didn't say.

Mike 
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited October 2017
    everything was working fine, until the router was replaced the other day.

I am out of state for the time being.  yes 4991 and 92 are open.  the app discovers the radio but wont do anything. I have softether running havent changed anything.

just noticed cant connect to the vnc either although the ports are open for that also.
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited October 2017
    im not sure what you mean..I have the IP's listed correctly and never had any problems.. just a new router.. I wouldnt know how to change them.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Yes, if the router was replaced I can see this happening if not all the settings weren't copied over.

If you are using Softether, you don't need 4991 or 4992 as SmartLink is not required.  So, that is not part of the problem or the solution.

If the router changed, did it change your external IP address?

Can you connect via SmartLink and no VPN?

Mike
  • Doug Hall
    Doug Hall Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Ria's comment is worth looking into. If you replaced the router the default IP range for the DHCP server could have changed, and could be the same as your local network. If your local network is, say, 192.168.1.x and your home network is 192.168.1.x you're going to have problems. I suspect the radio is discovered by MAC address, which is why that works, but IP connection will fail with the above scenario.
    Doug K4DSP
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited October 2017
    This stuff boggles my mind.
    Just tried another program to try and access .  but it too sees the computer but wont connect

I would be happy to let you teamview if you have the time for that.
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    I am not able to do that as a Flex employee due to liability issues. Sorry. Someone else might be able to though. It does sound like all your IP addresses changed with the new router. This is to be expected as normal operation. There are solutions to prevent that from happening in the future when you plan out your network. Mike
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited October 2017
    Thanks anyway Mike..
    Not sure where I would find that info. Or what would need to be changed

• Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited October 2017
    interesting.. I just had it working. then it stopped again... hmmmm. I rebooted the pc and for a few minutes had an active session with the radio. now it is back to not working. I thought I got it working but guess not.. sigh
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Check what IP the radio has. Chances are if it's 192.168.1.x it will be in conflict with whatever remote network you are on.

You can also see the IP in the chooser. Hover over it and you'll see it in a black box.

The fact that you just got a new router makes this scenario I described extremely likely since the default setting for most of them is 192.168.1.x

The procedure to change the LAN IP network numbering varies with the router. If in doubt, ask a networking expert near you to help you...

• Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Doug, you are correct. The radio discovery is via UDP broadcast packets. It doesn't matter what subnet the radio is set to. SmartSDR will "see" the radio. However if it is not in the same subnet or somehow able to reach the network SmartSDR cannot establish a control connection which is via TCP.
  • Ken - NM9P
    Ken - NM9P Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Ria, Could he possibly VPN into his local network and change the settings on his router without locking himself completely out of the VPN after rebooting the router?

I'm not sufficiently experienced with Softether.net to know if the remote server management would allow him to make some changes before the reboot that would allow him back in....

Or perhaps using Parallels Access, which I DO have, and is not bound by the router's subnet problem, as far as I know.

Just a thought.
  • Ria
    Ria Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    The best way to do it is to use TeamViewer which will automatically reestablish a connection. OR he can open up the WAN side of his router and access admin through there but some routers disable that. I might even offer to help him if he wanted. It won’t take me very long to do.
  • Howard Koenig
    Howard Koenig Member
    edited October 2017
    Thanks everyone. I got everything working again. Not quite sure what I did, but sometimes that's the best way I guess. All OK now. Been working for the last few hours and working many European stations. Having a blast once again. I hope this doesn't happen again... at least not for a while.
    73!
  • Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    If you have 1 computer inside your network, then you can fix the rest, and it seems you can with TV.  Ria has a good offer here and I am sure if she takes her time, it might take 5 minutes.  :)

• Mike va3mw
    Mike va3mw Member ✭✭
    edited October 2017
    Oh, and a bottle of wine!  :)

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.