Welcome to the new FlexRadio Community! Please review the new Community Rules and other important new Community information on the Message Board.
If you are having a problem, please refer to the product documentation or check the Help Center for known solutions.
Need technical support from FlexRadio? It's as simple as Creating a HelpDesk ticket.

Flex 6K series and Heil adapters

Options
Simon Lewis
Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
edited December 2018 in SmartSDR for Windows
I had a crazy situation today and if I can do this so can someone else!!

I moved one of the Flex 6500's to a my /P location where we are building our new home and I have a containerised shack setup.

After setting up the Flex CW was working great but I spent ages fault finding SSB

I could not get the PTT working, audio sounded terrible .. I had audio showing on the level meter all the time like the mic was continuously live and monitoring the audio was terrible.

I reloaded SSDR, rebooted the Flex, no change

then after a load of head scratching changed headsets, still no difference.

Then I pulled the Heil adapter from the Flex and went to plug a spare in .. THEN I realised I was able to get the Heil adapter in the Flex mic socket upside down!

Don't ask me how ... as they are keyed... maybe the Heil has a smaller spigot on the plug but turning it the right way resolved everything!

Just in case anyone else has strange effects and think of everything but the obvious!

never thought it was possible but!

Simon ZL4PLM

Comments

• W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    YES!!! I did this too .. and, if you orient the adapter correctly it is possible to tighten the collar but the connection is poor and requires rocking the connector back and forth. I have read of several audio problems here where I surmised that this might have been the issue.

W7NGA  dan
    San Juan Island, Wa.
  • Randy Diddel
    Randy Diddel Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I have done this too.  Only 6 days after purchasing my 6300!  Thought it was broken.  Felt pretty foolish after discovering it.

K5RHD
  • Bill Roberts
    Bill Roberts Member ✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Thanks for posting. We can learn and benefit from your experience.
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited December 2018
    Options
    This should not be possible to do. Have you all complained to Heil about this?
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    now I don't feel as **** ... glad I posted now ... others might benefit .. watch your plugs :)
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    me too :) ROFL .. I thought that can't be possible surely .. but yes it was!
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    it caused so many issues and effects I really thought the Flex was faulty ... but a simple twist and the problem resolved!
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hi Guy

not sure whose issue it is ... the Heil adapter or the Mic socket that Flex chose ... as long as your aware you can watch out for it .. I had no idea it was possible ... :) Trust me to find it !!!
  • W7NGA
    W7NGA Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2018
    Options
    This issue was mentioned on the forum long ago, which is why it occurred to me to check when I had no audio and PTT failed. Thanks Simon for addressing the issue as it will surely cause others grief at some point in their Flex adventures!
  • Simon Lewis
    Simon Lewis Member ✭✭
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I had a quick search too couldn't find any specifics around mic sockets etc ohh well live and learn :) At least I won't make the same mistake twice! Had a great time after I fixed it working TX3X and T2GC .. :)
  • DrTeeth
    DrTeeth Member ✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Many thanks for the OP in making us aware of the issue.

73 de Guy G4DWV/4X1LT
  • Tim - W4TME
    Tim - W4TME Administrator, FlexRadio Employee admin
    edited March 2017
    Options
    This is an issue we encounter in support where the Heil connector has "play" around the key-slot which allows for incorrect insertion.  I suspect because Heil has to use the same connector on a lot of different radios, they use one that works with all radio types since the connector specs can vary.  Personally I have not had this problem with third-party Foster connectors I have purchased when making my own mic cables.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.